Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Dear Mr. Branch,

I have been a season ticket holder of the London Knights for 16 seasons. I wanted to share with you my concerns over the potential sale of the Windsor Spitfires. It is my belief and the belief of many that this sale would not only be damaging for the Spitfires, but to the entire league. The OHL is slowly recovering from the ownership interference displayed in Flint, but now it has started again with more intensity in Windsor, even before the new owner has been announced. The drafting of unranked Isa Parekh in the 5th round of Saturday's draft was very obviously the result of the potential new owner imposing his will on the franchise in order to have a place for his son to play. Add in the drafting of Aydin Parekh 5th overall in yesterdays U18 draft and you have the recipe for disaster.
This season the Spitfires saw their attendance decrease by 12.3% over last season, and it's down 16.1% from the season before. The events of the last few days are not going to install any confidence back into the Windsor fan base. The league owners should be very concerned about the stability of this franchise. We have already seen the parent of one player display their concerns on twitter Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread

I have been one of the few (if not only) people who have stood up for you in the past. I understand the OHL is a business and I appreciate the decisions that need to be made. I don't buy into the comments that you are "Anti-one team" or "Pro-one team" as fans from all around the league suggest (I'm sure you've seen the comments). As a Knights fan I have a vested interest to see the Spitfires fail on the ice, but not this way. This situation is not good for the league at all and it's already making the league look bad. Yes we have seen sons of owners get drafted before, but this situation pales in comparison to those.
I think part of the issue I have with this is the potential for a free ride to University for a couple of kids who have not earned it, and their family can obviously afford to send them to any school they wish. Perhaps it's time to exclude family of ownership from the education package.
I am asking you to please scrutinize this deal with the Board of Governors. My hope is that this deal does not go through, but if it does safeguards are put into place to prevent any further ownership interference.
Thank you for your time,

Oldspitsfan

Nov 24, 2013
The attendance for Spits games will dramatically decrease from an already existing all time low. The operating costs will far exceed the revenue stream making it financially impossible to sustain! With the upcoming court case in junior hockey and the negative revenues, the value of the franchise will also decrease. Maybe after one year the owner/dentist will be forced to sell Hopefully a “Hockey” person with deep pockets could get a good deal and a great opportunity here in Windsor

Reactions: Otto

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Dear Mr. Branch,

I have been a season ticket holder of the London Knights for 16 seasons. I wanted to share with you my concerns over the potential sale of the Windsor Spitfires. It is my belief and the belief of many that this sale would not only be damaging for the Spitfires, but to the entire league. The OHL is slowly recovering from the ownership interference displayed in Flint, but now it has started again with more intensity in Windsor, even before the new owner has been announced. The drafting of unranked Isa Parekh in the 5th round of Saturday's draft was very obviously the result of the potential new owner imposing his will on the franchise in order to have a place for his son to play. Add in the drafting of Aydin Parekh 5th overall in yesterdays U18 draft and you have the recipe for disaster.
This season the Spitfires saw their attendance decrease by 12.3% over last season, and it's down 16.1% from the season before. The events of the last few days are not going to install any confidence back into the Windsor fan base. The league owners should be very concerned about the stability of this franchise. We have already seen the parent of one player display their concerns on twitter Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread

I have been one of the few (if not only) people who have stood up for you in the past. I understand the OHL is a business and I appreciate the decisions that need to be made. I don't buy into the comments that you are "Anti-one team" or "Pro-one team" as fans from all around the league suggest (I'm sure you've seen the comments). As a Knights fan I have a vested interest to see the Spitfires fail on the ice, but not this way. This situation is not good for the league at all and it's already making the league look bad. Yes we have seen sons of owners get drafted before, but this situation pales in comparison to those.
I think part of the issue I have with this is the potential for a free ride to University for a couple of kids who have not earned it, and their family can obviously afford to send them to any school they wish. Perhaps it's time to exclude family of ownership from the education package.
I am asking you to please scrutinize this deal with the Board of Governors. My hope is that this deal does not go through, but if it does safeguards are put into place to prevent any further ownership interference.
Thank you for your time,
Thanks Otto - I'm going to pull a little "high school" cheat and use portions of this in my E-mail. Writing was never my best thing so I hope you don't mind if I adapt this a bit.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
The attendance for Spits games will dramatically decrease from an already existing all time low. The operating costs will far exceed the revenue stream making it financially impossible to sustain! With the upcoming court case in junior hockey and the negative revenues, the value of the franchise will also decrease. Maybe after one year the owner/dentist will be forced to sell Hopefully a “Hockey” person with deep pockets could get a good deal and a great opportunity here in Windsor
This would be the only light at the end of the tunnel.Looks like this new owner is a hard head and doesnt see past his kids playing OHL no matter the cost.Good luck to the person that has to tell him bluntly that his kids are not good enough.
Your right the WFCU will look like the games in Kingston,Missy and Brampton.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
The only thing I have to add is I think the “leap” of impending doom coming is a bit early in my mind? So far the only thing I don’t like is using a fifth rounder as that son could have been “had” as a late, late pick. The prestige of being a fifth round pick or a 15th round pick in my mind is the same. The over 18 pick, who really cares, this draft quite frankly should be dropped with all of these kids becoming Free Agents.

Let’s say the New Owner shows up and both of his kids are at the main camp but then get assigned to an affiliated Junior B Team (this may even be a stretch) to play and improve with a chance if they grow and improve to become Spitfires? I guess what I am saying is comparing him or the situation to Flint at this point in time is a bit premature I think?

Good Luck to the Team even as a Knights supporter I want to see you as a healthy and competitive organization that the fans love to watch.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
The only thing I have to add is I think the “leap” of impending doom coming is a bit early in my mind? So far the only thing I don’t like is using a fifth rounder as that son could have been “had” as a late, late pick. The prestige of being a fifth round pick or a 15th round pick in my mind is the same. The over 18 pick, who really cares, this draft quite frankly should be dropped with all of these kids becoming Free Agents.

Let’s say the New Owner shows up and both of his kids are at the main camp but then get assigned to an affiliated Junior B Team (this may even be a stretch) to play and improve with a chance if they grow and improve to become Spitfires? I guess what I am saying is comparing him or the situation to Flint at this point in time is a bit premature I think?

Good Luck to the Team even as a Knights supporter I want to see you as a healthy and competitive organization that the fans love to watch.

Again, it goes deeper then just the pick... the fact that the potential new owner was interfering in hockey business before officially owning the team is an issue. No way Rychel would have made that pick (or the one yesterday) without the interference. Also, the potential new owner, or someone associated with him, actively posting on this board using a minimum of two burner accounts is also an issue.

This goes beyond Flint, it would be closer related to Flint if he were already the owner

Spits1963

Dec 17, 2014
Dear Mr. Branch,

Thank you for your time,
Hey Otto
Just wanted to thank you and every one who is showing us support.
Yes we are certainly big fans of our teams, but deep down we are big fans of Junior hockey. And this is much bigger than just the Spitfires.
Everyone should take ten minutes and email the league.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Having gone back and read some Pin Wheels posts a couple of days ago (good thing I did since they re all gone now) let's just hope he is not planning on being a scout as well as owner. The list of players he trashed or down played was a list of some of the best rookies in the league this year including the Spits very own JL Foudy who had a great year. His list of players who should get more recognition was a bunch of players including his own son, who were not even drafted or picked late in the draft. Not a good look at all.

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

OHLInsiders

Mar 9, 2014
A couple things

#1 - Can you imagine not being excited when you're drafted? Can't see how these two boys could possibly be excited or feeling any of the same emotions as their peers that were legitimately drafted. As you're taking in Rookie camp and posting your player reviews, just take it easy on the boys. By all means, keep tearing strips off Azim. Can tell you Aydin was a late round prospect last year and did have a bit of interest from a few teams. People often say this kid just missed the draft, or that kid just missed the draft, but I think Aydin did in fact just narrowly miss the draft, and quite possibly to keep the old man away.

#2 - Anyone thought of making a group card or petition? Something that can be circulated where you can see everyone's concerns in one place? - If someone were to make something like this, I would absolutely circulate it through my platform and push the hell out of it.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
My problem is maybe both kids have potential, and should have been just signed as FA.My guess is Daddy wouldnt go for that and had to have them drafted instead.Insisted on it.

You want to give your kids a chance ok but not like this.All partys involved will regret this $hitshow.I know folks here in Windsor, when they turn on you or your business or restaurant etc. and not go to it anymore.Were like elephants we dont forget and hold grudges.People are angry out there and are looking for something to take it out on.And its getting worse since the economy is in disarray.If this ends well I'll be shocked.

Spits1963

Dec 17, 2014
Having gone back and read some Pin Wheels posts a couple of days ago (good thing I did since they re all gone now) let's just hope he is not planning on being a scout as well as owner. The list of players he trashed or down played was a list of some of the best rookies in the league this year including the Spits very own JL Foudy who had a great year. His list of players who should get more recognition was a bunch of players including his own son, who were not even drafted or picked late in the draft. Not a good look at all.
And so how do you think the Foudy family is taking to this.
Won’t be surprised if he is not here this weekend,,, because I believe second year players are usually here..,

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Windsor fans certainly need to speak up, but i'd love to see more fans of other teams commit to e-mailing Dave Branch. This affects every team. If Windsor is negatively impacted by this it will make families think twice about sending their kids to the OHL

I've put my two cents in... so to speak.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Again, it goes deeper then just the pick... the fact that the potential new owner was interfering in hockey business before officially owning the team is an issue. No way Rychel would have made that pick (or the one yesterday) without the interference. Also, the potential new owner, or someone associated with him, actively posting on this board using a minimum of two burner accounts is also an issue.

Appreciated Otto valid points I’m just of the opinion it’s a bit to early to say the “house is on fire” but of course there are many ways to interpret the actions so far. I will agree optics are horrible and there is no indication that the new owner will stay out of it and do the right thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->