Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
maybe a scout not a GM

exactly, but a job that would keep the cash coming in with little to no drama that the spits gm job would have.

hes not staying around unless its a parashute type job, i cant see it.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
So let me get this straight. You guys think a GM with zero experience (but he’s a marginal nhl rep) is a better choice to run this team then WR?!?! Harky is gonna be the owners errand boy if he comes in as GM. GM job is a handful. Harky has no nhl playing/GM exp little ohl playing exp. no GM or front office exp and your ok with that???? You guys have your hate blinders on. Has WR been as good as Hunter? Arguably not, but, he’s a top 5 GM in this league all day long, like it or not. I’ve been around folks, seen a lot of things. This has cluster puck written all over it unless this owner backs completely off now and hires the right people. The stuff we already know about is serious cause for concern and anyone willing to join his front office should be suspect. This is looking a lot like Flint in many ways.

I agree this looks bad on alot of fronts.

But the no NHL, OHL playing exp And no GM experience ect.... Is a non starter for me.
Dubas? I may very well have this wrong and please, someone correct if I do. But he rose up quickly thru the ranks based on what would appear to be favoritism, lack of old school perceived experience..... And did a heck of a job in SSM in spite of criticisms when hired.

Windsor fans have to hope they hire a competent staff regardless of previous backgrounds.

But again it doesn't look good as of now and I agree a different situation.

Just pointing out a situation where someone without the traditional resume worked his way up thru an org and succeeded. Granted this situation the rumored hired hand would step right in. My comparison is only one of NHL and OHL playing exp being a prerequisite of success. The game has changed.

Uncertain times in Windsor for sure and I hope when the dust settles the fans, organization and most of all the players are in good hands. It helps the whole league.

Reactions: ohloutsider

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
But the no NHL, OHL playing exp And no GM experience ect.... Is a non starter for me.
Dubas? I may very well have this wrong and please, someone correct if I do. But he rose up quickly thru the ranks based on what would appear to be favoritism, lack of old school perceived experience..... And did a heck of a job in SSM in spite of criticisms when hired.

Dubas was around the Greyhounds, including being a scout while in University. That said, I fear that Dubas is the exception, not the rule.

(on a side-note: Singh is with the same agency that Dubas was - Uptown)

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Dubas was around the Greyhounds, including being a scout while in University. That said, I fear that Dubas is the exception, not the rule.

(on a side-note: Singh is with the same agency that Dubas was - Uptown)

I don't disagree he was an exception (at that time) but the game and its staff is changing. For better or worse depending where ya view it from :)

London has sent staff on and up to higher ranks, in important positions that didn't meet the NHL, OHL, previous GM experience model of the 70s-90s.

Not saying this is a good idea or bad ( Windsor situation) Just suggesting I hope it works out. Mostly for the league and its perception from the outside and the players themselves.
I never want to see kids getting the short end in this game. A game I love and spend alot of volunteer hours trying to help make a positive experience for all.

I tend to shy away from the politics lol. Hence my decisions to only get involved in certain positions ;)

Reactions: OHLTG

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I agree this looks bad on alot of fronts.

Windsor fans have to hope they hire a competent staff regardless of previous backgrounds.

But again it doesn't look good as of now and I agree a different situation.

Just pointing out a situation where someone without the traditional resume worked his way up thru an org and succeeded. Granted this situation the rumored hired hand would step right in. My comparison is only one of NHL and OHL playing exp being a prerequisite of success. The game has changed.

Uncertain times in Windsor for sure and I hope when the dust settles the fans, organization and most of all the players are in good hands. It helps the whole league.

In general I think you can see the trepidation coming out of certain people. Seems like the attitude is that Rychel is the only one suited to be GM because he won 3 Memorial Cups and that Harkie Singh could never do a good job because he didn't play long in the OHL or NHL and Rychel did that. Of course by the same token Harkie Singh used his smarts. Harkie Singh worked 6 years for the Islanders, 1 year for the Canucks and has been with Uptown Hockey for close to 7 years now. Maybe his resume isn't as sparkling as Rychel but to think he had a handful of games in the OHL and isn't suited to be a GM is disingenuous at best and misguided at worst.

How about the GM Roger Hunt in Oshawa? He played in the Metro Jr B Hockey League, Central Hockey League, Sunshine Hockey League, British Hockey League. He was an assistant coach a few years, worked in the front office for the Gens but now he's one of the best GM's in the OHL right now. I can only imagine the uproar if the Spits hired a guy like Roger Hunt. His career would never have gotten off the ground.

Reactions: aresknights

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Exactly Razor.

And one could argue the potential new person, based on your post, has more off ice exp in the game than WR did when he started.

In no way am I saying he will as successful.... But he obviously has been around the game.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
In general I think you can see the trepidation coming out of certain people. Seems like the attitude is that Rychel is the only one suited to be GM because he won 3 Memorial Cups and that Harkie Singh could never do a good job because he didn't play long in the OHL or NHL and Rychel did that.

I don't think many (or even any) are saying that WR is the only one who can do it, nor is anyone saying Singh could never do the job. It's a hesitation given the proven v. unproven situation. Let's not forget that two weeks ago, none of this was happening and WR was fully in charge, preparing for a big off-season that had oodles of hope. Sudden change isn't something that everyone brushes off, whether people like that or not.

Frankly, a number of people on here, including myself, have stated that Singh isn't a bad choice given his hockey background. If he's the option after WR, I'm okay with that given the knowledge and connections. I'd just prefer to see WR back for a few seasons (or at least one), so he can have the chance to see this group properly develop. It would be a shame if someone else either tore it down or got the credit for it.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Exactly Razor.

And one could argue the potential new person, based on your post, has more off ice exp in the game than WR did when he started.

In no way am I saying he will as successful.... But he obviously has been around the game.

I don't disagree he was an exception (at that time) but the game and its staff is changing. For better or worse depending where ya view it from :)

London has sent staff on and up to higher ranks, in important positions that didn't meet the NHL, OHL, previous GM experience model of the 70s-90s.

Not saying this is a good idea or bad ( Windsor situation) Just suggesting I hope it works out. Mostly for the league and its perception from the outside and the players themselves.
I never want to see kids getting the short end in this game. A game I love and spend alot of volunteer hours trying to help make a positive experience for all.

I tend to shy away from the politics lol. Hence my decisions to only get involved in certain positions ;)

i think like any other fanbase, youll have the 10 percent that will say change is awful, 10 percent that will say change is great, and 80 percent that dont really have an opinon becuase they dont go on here and just enjoy hockey.

there will always be those who always hate whatever happens and there will always be those who always say great move regardless of how it plays out. end of the day as long as the guy they hire is the one making the calls, not the owner, im good with it. you cant really worry about the 10 percent on either side because they will always say the same thing regardless of the gm, be it rychel, singh or aresknights :)

Reactions: aresknights

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I'm curious as to people's thoughts: Given Singh's hockey background , is the general consensus then that he was not behind the Pinwheels account? Is the thought then that it was Parekh ? Or someone else connected with him?

i always thought it was someone connected to the family. the account started in the older kids draft year and referenced him constantly. ranted about him not being drafted. morphed into a spits fan a month before the rumoured sale was broken on twitter. its all too straight line.

i dont think its the agent because honeslty, if hes a good agent he doesnt care about a message board, he calls the gms and scouts, he doesnt post on here hopeing to get some traction, he talks to people one on one. plus if it was the agent, why did he start with parakh? he would have posted about more then one player and would have started when he started as an agent.

its either the dad or someone connected to him imo

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I'm curious as to people's thoughts: Given Singh's hockey background , is the general consensus then that he was not behind the Pinwheels account? Is the thought then that it was Parekh ? Or someone else connected with him?
Pinwheels defended statements more like a owner rather than a potential/next GM. There is a new poster I won't draw attention yet because I am enjoying the rebuttles giving me some insight to his thoughts. Do a little research won't take to long to figure out the new Pinwheels.

Reactions: OHLTG

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
London on the verge of EPIC EPIC collapse.
Up 3 games to 0.
Guelph leads 5 to 3 in game 7 late in the period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad