Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

While we wait for the next round of cancellations what, if anything does Windsor do before the draft?

I believe they have 1st, 2 2nds, 2x 4ths in the first 6 rounds.

Do they move 2nd and a 4th to add a 3rd and a 5th plus other picks in the future?

Or does Bowler just make the picks/

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
While we wait for the next round of cancellations what, if anything does Windsor do before the draft?

Do they move 2nd and a 4th to add a 3rd and a 5th plus other picks in the future?

Hopefully doesn't sit on his hands....

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

If you can get good value for a 2nd and a 4th, then maybe you look at it. Otherwise, that's three potential players that could make the roster next season and it's not a luxury we may have again.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit

Not a lot of time left before the Spits need to decide the direction they will be heading.
We have a number of question marks that we have to consider.
IMHO we have the same things to shore up that we did at the start of last year. 1) coaching. 2) defense 3) goal.
In addition this year we have to sort out some of the ruffled feathers that occurred between some players and the coaching staff. I suspect there will be a few players looking for greener pastures, as well as a couple the team will want to move. Hopefully none of our top guys want out.
The biggest question for the Spits is to decide which year in the future we make a run for the roses. If it’s 2-3 years down the road then perhaps we move out a couple big names early and late.
** bet the Spits wish they had moved a couple guys for picks at the deadline...I still do.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
2nd should get a 3rd this draft and a future 2nd, 21 or 22.

4th should get a 5th this year and a 3rd, 21 or 22.
Not a lot of room on the roster for 3-4 16 yr old players next year. They almost have to move at least 1 of the seconds. by the time your 1st and 1 2nd are added you can't fit others. Now if they move out some players then it would be different. I would prefer Bowler trades for future picks so they can bring in 1 or 2 older players in the fall using those picks . They either need to buy big or sell big next year. Host year will be tough to buy enough to make a run but they will have enough picks if they make the right moves at the draft.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
We had one extra D and one extra F this season. We're guaranteed to lose Boka/Purboo/Stevenson and likely Playfair/Rupoli. That's 3 F and 2 D. I'd imagine 1-2 spots will be made up from FAs and, maybe, an Import spot (if Piiroinen does not return). That's likely 3-4 spots for this draft. Again, just one scenario.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Not a lot of time left before the Spits need to decide the direction they will be heading.
We have a number of question marks that we have to consider.
IMHO we have the same things to shore up that we did at the start of last year. 1) coaching. 2) defense 3) goal.
In addition this year we have to sort out some of the ruffled feathers that occurred between some players and the coaching staff. I suspect there will be a few players looking for greener pastures, as well as a couple the team will want to move. Hopefully none of our top guys want out.
The biggest question for the Spits is to decide which year in the future we make a run for the roses. If it’s 2-3 years down the road then perhaps we move out a couple big names early and late.
** bet the Spits wish they had moved a couple guys for picks at the deadline...I still do.

Same questions last 3 years

member 71782

I think this team set themselves way back this year.

Team, while improved wasn't a contender.

Standing pat did nothing to help, post deadline collapse came anyways.

Left potential young players and picks on the table while apparently the room wasn't quite as cohesive as it was thought to be and still finished middle of the pack.

Could lose more than expected next year between a c couple vets potentially graduating early and the status of a couple of kids possibly up in the air.

Will lose three OAs.

Lose or move at least two 2000s.

Could lose two 01s, Piiroinen which they replace with another import and someone mentioned Afanasyev's camp not happy with the coaching a few weeks ago.

I'll guess at least two 02s likely to move due to issues/requests after this collapse, again.

That's potentially nine out with only Piiroinen likely to be replaced with a potential high end import.

Who steps up and in, could be lots of open spaces.

99 Boka - ???
99 Purboo - Import
99 Stevenson - Jodoin
01 Piiroinen - Tovell
00 Playfair - 1st rnd pick
00 Rupoli - 2nd rnd pick
01 Afanasyev? - ???
02 forward - ???
02 D - ???

Speculating about all but the OAs of course. If any of the 00s graduate then Playfair and/or Rupoli likely get an OA spot.

They could have been set for a nice 2021/22, 23, 24 window loaded with assets, depth and young, moveable players. Instead I think they pushed themselves back to 2022/23 as the earliest window for an all in run. If that happens most 02s would be gone, dealt/graduate etc so hopefully they would be smart enough to get some assets.

This team is not in a good state at the moment.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Beyond the OAs/00s, and maybe Piiroinen (given Medina passed him on the depth chart), I don't think it's the time to speculate on who may or may not want out. We know that we're going to lose the three OAs and two of the five 2000s. That's almost a given. Beyond that, all of this Covid19 stuff is throwing it up in the air.

member 71782

Beyond the OAs/00s, and maybe Piiroinen (given Medina passed him on the depth chart), I don't think it's the time to speculate on who may or may not want out. We know that we're going to lose the three OAs and two of the five 2000s. That's almost a given. Beyond that, all of this Covid19 stuff is throwing it up in the air.

The likelihood of the season resuming is less than 1%. It's, for all intents and purposes the offseason. Might as well get on with the offseason discussion. At least it's relevant discussion and discussion this fanbase is used to since we've had lots of practice with long offseasons. This year it's just a couple of weeks earlier than even we are used to.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Even if it's the off-season, Covid19 could change a ton about the rest of the off-season. I'm personally not going to start speculating on who may or may not want out because far too much can change, even more than normal. Maybe later in the summer, once we know more about timelines.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The likelihood of the season resuming is less than 1%. It's, for all intents and purposes the offseason. Might as well get on with the offseason discussion. At least it's relevant discussion and discussion this fanbase is used to since we've had lots of practice with long offseasons. This year it's just a couple of weeks earlier than even we are used to.

Honest truth

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I still believe the draft will be postponed. Why have a draft when you have no idea if or when hockey will resume. We're in a war with this plague and maybe for many months/yrs with possible waves of this over and over. There may be several teams that won't financially make it through this. I don't think this would surprise many on here. Went from booming economy to depression conditions in a couple of weeks. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer just speaking facts. When will it be safe again to have a group of more than 10 people together? Not anytime soon.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I still believe the draft will be postponed. Why have a draft when you have no idea if or when hockey will resume. We're in a war with this plague and maybe for many months/yrs with possible waves of this over and over. There may be several teams that won't financially make it through this. I don't think this would surprise many on here. Went from booming economy to depression conditions in a couple of weeks. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer just speaking facts. When will it be safe again to have a group of more than 10 people together? Not anytime soon.
I believe they will have the draft because the draft doesn't effect anything until late August. While I am not ruling that next season won't be delayed or canceled, nobody making these decisions wants to be that pessimistic. I believe that the NFL draft won't be pushed back but the huge party won't be happening. It will be done by conference call and computers.

Another reason the OHL probably won't push back the draft is because of recruitment. When a player is drafted, it becomes more real, because he has a team instead of just a league. Even though Prospect Camps and visits to the city won't happen, the GMs will be in touch via phone, text an email. Each is probably already preparing a welcome video that will be distributed to each draftee. The CHL needs this recruitment because I doubt that the NCAA has totally shut down recruitment.

As far as the financial implications, that is a legitimate point, though it would be far more critical with the Pros than Junior Hockey.

In Junior Hockey, they lost a very small percentage of the regular season. While playoff revenue is close to pure profit, the weaker teams generally don't make the playoffs or go outing the 1st round. The Spits, for example, lost 2 regular season games but they also didn't have to pay for 2 road trips that would have including overnight stays. I would have anticipated the Spits to only have 2 or 3 playoff games. However, those games were comped to anyone that has ordered next year's season tickets. So the financial loss will not be that great.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I believe they will have the draft because the draft doesn't effect anything until late August. While I am not ruling that next season won't be delayed or canceled, nobody making these decisions wants to be that pessimistic. I believe that the NFL draft won't be pushed back but the huge party won't be happening. It will be done by conference call and computers.

Another reason the OHL probably won't push back the draft is because of recruitment. When a player is drafted, it becomes more real, because he has a team instead of just a league. Even though Prospect Camps and visits to the city won't happen, the GMs will be in touch via phone, text an email. Each is probably already preparing a welcome video that will be distributed to each draftee. The CHL needs this recruitment because I doubt that the NCAA has totally shut down recruitment.

As far as the financial implications, that is a legitimate point, though it would be far more critical with the Pros than Junior Hockey.

In Junior Hockey, they lost a very small percentage of the regular season. While playoff revenue is close to pure profit, the weaker teams generally don't make the playoffs or go outing the 1st round. The Spits, for example, lost 2 regular season games but they also didn't have to pay for 2 road trips that would have including overnight stays. I would have anticipated the Spits to only have 2 or 3 playoff games. However, those games were comped to anyone that has ordered next year's season tickets. So the financial loss will not be that great.
Yeah I hear you, I wasn't referring directly about the dollars lost from missing Playoff/ regular season games that is lost, I was referring to the businesses that hold CHL teams in their portfolio being in trouble.

member 71782

There is still a need for a draft even if next season were delayed/cancelled. The calendar doesn't stop, kids will still age out and prospects are still needed to fill roster spots when the league starts up.

If any teams folded because of this it would probably help the league in the end. Allows talent to be centralized among fewer teams keeping the quality up and likely strengthening the remaining teams in the end.

If this continued then next years draft could be an issue although many would be able to access stats to the kids bantam years the one year difference to midget is huge and that lost year would make it more difficult but not impossible to still hold a draft.

The first priority needs to be to maintain as much normalcy/continuity as possible so when things can return everyone is prepared for that return and any situations that developed are able to be dealt with.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
There may be several teams that won't financially make it through this.

Not just about hockey on this topic but I would suspect the Governments around the world will be offering stimulus financial packages to private business in general. The financial cost of this is going to be unreal in the end and it’s a long way from being “under control”. We’re going to have to be careful this doesn’t trigger an all out global Depression never mind a Recession! Like you not fear mongering but it’s somewhat unchartered waters we are in.

Reactions: Cherrydon and OHLTG

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
Which facts are you speaking of? Everything in your post is your opinion... which is not wrong to have an opinion, just don't pass it off as facts.

Why can't there still be a draft? Everything is done on line. Teams can still practice social distancing. If you don't have a draft, and hockey resumes, you won't have the players to replenish the roster

Spits1963

Dec 17, 2014
Not just about hockey on this topic but I would suspect the Governments around the world will be offering stimulus financial packages to private business in general. The financial cost of this is going to be unreal in the end and it’s a long way from being “under control”. We’re going to have to be careful this doesn’t trigger an all out global Depression never mind a Recession! Like you not fear mongering but it’s somewhat unchartered waters we are in.
Think of much Cypher group has lost on investments

Reactions: Cherrydon

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The draft can still be held online; at most, you'll have 8-9 people in the draft room and you can separate them fairly easily. The issue won't be until mini-camps and arena visits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad