Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

money and tax relief and national bank backing grace periods for re-payment schedules for those affected by the crisis, and support for manufacturers willing to alter production lines in order to produce goods needed to battle the virus would be considered government interference and contrary to neo-liberal ideology.
Simply shutting it down as you have suggested just isn’t an option, goods and services are essential. More so now than 1919.

Neo liberal economic ideology is the problem.

Everything else you mentioned would either be unnecessary or accomplished a lot easier and cheaply by simply shutting the financial markets down.

Do you need to bail out the markets to convert a factory? No. Direct cost coverage by the government takes care of that. Private financial institutions don't get to profit.

Can all necessities be manufactured, produced and distributed with financial markets shutdown? Yes. Financial compensation can still be made, at a lower, fixed rate for goods/medical supplies, food etc. Wages can still be paid etc. Private financial institutions don't get to profit.

Can tax holidays, bill relief still happen with financial markets closed? Yes. That's exactly what shutting them down would be designed to do. Private financial institutions don't get to profit.

Does anyone lose any money if financial markets are shutdown? No. Everything is frozen, eliminates economic panic. Stocks prices are frozen. Everything stops at one point in time to be restarted at that exact spot at another point in time. Restaurants that are closed and will go out of business because a loan that will pay their bills for a month won't help them six months later. They will already be out of business. Close the financials and when things return they are starting where they left off, no further ahead or behind. Private financial institutions don't get to profit.

The only direct infusion of money that should be put into the economy is into the bank accounts of people. All bills would be suspended and pick up where they left off when everything returns to normal. That means people have no financial worries. No one will lose their home, miss a bill payment, have utilities shut off etc. All necessities should be made available, food, medicine, a certain amount of fuel based on if the person is still working or to cover travel to appointments, public transit would be covered etc. Anyone working would still get their cheque while anyone not working would not need unemployment insurance or if they are collecting it could be stopped and restarted when things return to normal.

Provide a monthly subsidy for all, that really only builds peoples savings until things return to normal. That money would help to get the economy going to avoid a recession as we return to normal.

Keeping financial markets open are forcing extra subsides to groups that provide no value to the economy and would only profit a few at the expense of everyone else which leads to recession, greater loss of business, greater loss of jobs and most importantly greater loss of life at a much higher financial cost.

Why support a sector which serves no other purpose except to generate a profit as a middleman creating unnecessary costs?

Reactions: aresknights

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Neo liberal economic ideology is the problem.

Everything else you mentioned would either be unnecessary or accomplished a lot easier and cheaply by simply shutting the financial markets down.

Do you need to bail out the markets to convert a factory? No. Direct cost coverage by the government takes care of that. Private financial institutions don't get to profit.

Can all necessities be manufactured, produced and distributed with financial markets shutdown? Yes. Financial compensation can still be made, at a lower, fixed rate for goods/medical supplies, food etc. Wages can still be paid etc. Private financial institutions don't get to profit.

Can tax holidays, bill relief still happen with financial markets closed? Yes. That's exactly what shutting them down would be designed to do. Private financial institutions don't get to profit.

Does anyone lose any money if financial markets are shutdown? No. Everything is frozen, eliminates economic panic. Stocks prices are frozen. Everything stops at one point in time to be restarted at that exact spot at another point in time. Restaurants that are closed and will go out of business because a loan that will pay their bills for a month won't help them six months later. They will already be out of business. Close the financials and when things return they are starting where they left off, no further ahead or behind. Private financial institutions don't get to profit.

The only direct infusion of money that should be put into the economy is into the bank accounts of people. All bills would be suspended and pick up where they left off when everything returns to normal. That means people have no financial worries. No one will lose their home, miss a bill payment, have utilities shut off etc. All necessities should be made available, food, medicine, a certain amount of fuel based on if the person is still working or to cover travel to appointments, public transit would be covered etc. Anyone working would still get their cheque while anyone not working would not need unemployment insurance or if they are collecting it could be stopped and restarted when things return to normal.

Provide a monthly subsidy for all, that really only builds peoples savings until things return to normal. That money would help to get the economy going to avoid a recession as we return to normal.

Keeping financial markets open are forcing extra subsides to groups that provide no value to the economy and would only profit a few at the expense of everyone else which leads to recession, greater loss of business, greater loss of jobs and most importantly greater loss of life at a much higher financial cost.

Why support a sector which serves no other purpose except to generate a profit as a middleman creating unnecessary costs?

It’s not the right forum for this, it really should stop. But I’ve got to ask who
in your ideal is buying back the hundred(s) of billions of dollars of extra money supply at the end of all this? Do we just devalue the Canadian dollar to a more attractive number than currencies also in crisis potentially creating a crippling debt?
more debt for us means more power for the 1%, I think.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Yea I gotta agree, this is a junior hockey board folks. Let’s stick to that please.

Reactions: OHLTG

member 71782

It’s not the right forum for this, it really should stop. But I’ve got to ask who
in your ideal is buying back the hundred(s) of billions of dollars of extra money supply at the end of all this? Do we just devalue the Canadian dollar to a more attractive number than currencies also in crisis potentially creating a crippling debt?
more debt for us means more power for the 1%, I think.

As I said in my first or second post on this, raise the HST by a per cent or two to tax it back out of the system over a specified time frame.

Following the model currently being employed what's going to happen with all the extra money currently being dumped into the system to provide an ability to put even more in based on the fractional model of neo liberal economics?

What I suggest would put less money in, lower the amount of personal, corporate and government debt created yet create a more direct benefit to all in the short and long term.

Providing financial subsidies to banks etc to provide loans will see those funds multiplied in a high risk way that will lead to more defaults. Most bail outs/stimulus to institutional banks will be zero interest if they are repayable. The loans they issue will not be. Governments will be guarantors on those loans to cover the defaults, more stimulus/bail outs and the banks will collect the collateral as well.

All that leads to more permanent losses with banks as well getting the interest bearing bonds for the newly minted debt.

The government has the ability to handle it in a far cheaper, far more beneficial way. Are they willing to? No which will collapse the economy once the medical crisis has passed. Any economic damage done during the crisis won't compare to what comes after.

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
Ok... hockey..... the draft is April 4th. With Fantilli regarded as the best prospect does North Bay take him and gamble that he will report? What are the chances that he reports there? With the #14 pick, who are the players that the Spits could... should be looking at?

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I always try to figure out who the Spits COULD go for but I haven't seen many firm lists (names, positions, rankings, etc). I know OHL Prospect Pipeline had some back in Jan or Feb, but I swear I've seen them do March in the past so I've been waiting for that.

I don't think they need an offensive forward. I'd like to see a good-sized d-man who can take the body or a true PP QB that's ready to step in now. Nobody smaller, though. We've done that (Bateman, Auger, Staios) before and no.

Reactions: I guard the door

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Ok... hockey..... the draft is April 4th. With Fantilli regarded as the best prospect does North Bay take him and gamble that he will report? What are the chances that he reports there? With the #14 pick, who are the players that the Spits could... should be looking at?

Player must be willing to sign.
No flyers!!

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Big strong D man no question!! Hell I’d grab one with both 1 and 2 pick!! Lists are hard to find. So much up in the air this year. Best bet would have been a strong scout base, oh yea, Windsor doesn’t have one!!! Everyone being kept pretty tight lipped. Could be way more great grabs later and duds early.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Not surprised at all. Such a shitty way to end the season.

I'll say it - next season, I hope the team finds a date to bring back Boka, Purboo, and Stevenson to honour them properly.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Not surprised at all. Such a shitty way to end the season.

I'll say it - next season, I hope the team finds a date to bring back Boka, Purboo, and Stevenson to honour them properly.

Only noise done was the virus......

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
At least Windsor doesn't have to refund 1st round tix to fans. All those free tix....

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I am not surprised, disappointed yes, but really this crisis is bigger than hockey. It's still the tip of the iceberg. I wish no more than anyone this was a done issue and resume life. Is the draft next?

member 71782

No surprise there. I've gone even further in predicting that next season could be in jeopardy. At this point, I'd be shocked if the OHL played a full 68 game schedule in 2020-21. Perhaps a truncated season could be salvaged.

I've had the same thought. Once the season was temporarily postponed it was a matter of time before the season then playoffs would be cancelled and with likely months to go before society has a grasp on what's going on next season is definitely up in the air at this point.

Right now just hoping the right decisions come at the right time. No need to make hasty decisions that could harm these young kids and their futures.

Reactions: Cherrydon

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
Big strong D man no question!! Hell I’d grab one with both 1 and 2 pick!! Lists are hard to find. So much up in the air this year. Best bet would have been a strong scout base, oh yea, Windsor doesn’t have one!!! Everyone being kept pretty tight lipped. Could be way more great grabs later and duds early.
Here's three.... I must admit that I haven't seen them personally and highlight videos only show so much but...

3. Ty Nelson D Toronto Jr. Canadiens
17. Donovan McCoy D 6' 175 Quinte Red Devils
22. Isaiah George LD 6'1" 171 Toronto Marlboros

I would think that Nelson would be gone by the time that Windsor picks at 14 but the other two are good bets to be available. Both seem to fit the bill as physical defensemen who are able to make a good first pass out of the zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad