Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
IMHO... We are playing over our head at this point. As we begin playing better teams the team will drop back in the standings. We are not as bad as the Kingston's of the league but also not as good as the elite teams. as for the players...Robinson needs only more ice time in order to become their best D-Man.
Most of the older players O/A and next years O/A are here because of the financial situation of the team. A team hoping to contend next year would be shedding them when possible.
Perhaps the rumors of Cuylle and Foudy being unhappy during the attempted sale to 'Smiles R Us' were more than just rumors. Maybe its just a co-inkydink but neither seems to be playing up to expectations...
I don't think Spits are playing that far over their heads. Western conference is much tighter this year and the point difference is like 4 points from 8 to 1st. Spits have been good enough to get the wins . If we were blowing out teams then maybe yes but most games are close so not really seeing them playing too far above where they should be. I think if anything we have underestimated then somewhat. Water always finds its level and it is a long year.
It is nice to be on the winning ledger so far this year. Enjoy it as long as it lasts.

member 71782

The one thing with the standings is Windsor has the highest winning % in the conference and second only to Oshawa in the league. That's a nice change but now the challenge is to keep it up. It's still early and every game for every team can change that quickly but it is a nice change at the moment. I do agree though that what we are seeing so far doesn't look sustainable so if they can prove me wrong I won't complain but my expectations still stands, regardless of any moves that may or may not come, this team should finish fifth with about a .625 to .650 win % for the year. That should be the minimal expectation after the last two years and as the youth continues to develop a couple of moves out to add assets and hopefully another couple of solid young players those expectations shouldn't change.

member 71782

The question is - would they actually do this?

Past actions say no.

Only Letowski can actually answer this though. He has shown to be a bit more willing to try different things but he still clings on to old habits.

We likely won't know until after the U17s. He can use the "giving Johnston rest to prepare" to sit him on Sunday but when Johnston comes back he has to decide if merit or seniority determines icetime.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Past actions say no.

Only Letowski can actually answer this though. He has shown to be a bit more willing to try different things but he still clings on to old habits.

We likely won't know until after the U17s. He can use the "giving Johnston rest to prepare" to sit him on Sunday but when Johnston comes back he has to decide if merit or seniority determines icetime.
I doubt if if Trevor will be forced to do it. Methinks Bowler will make a move and take the decision out of his hands..

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Past actions say no.

My guess is that Letowski will sit out Johnston on Sunday so that the youngster can play in the -17 tournament next weekend.
Thought it started a couple days later then it does,thus my concerns of who to sit,especially when team is winning.
Johnston goes into the tournament on a high,hopefully he will do well for himself in Alberta/Saskatchewan, much like how Foudy,McDonald and Cuylle did last year at the same tourney.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Past actions say no.

Right and when you look at it from the perspective that player has a letter. Letowski wouldn't dare rock the boat. You play the best players every night and Playfair for much of his career hasn't shown he's one of the top 12 forwards on the roster. The issue is that there isn't much competition to push him out of the lineup.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
As long as they're sitting a F every night, he can be pushed out of the lineup. It makes me wonder if he's simply outstanding in the room (he does have an "A"), so they're hoping he turns it around. Will he put up big points? No. Will he put up some points and be solid on the PK? Yes. The kids need to play over him, though.

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
Careful not to destroy Robinson's confidence. Play him through this little bit of a struggle, and he will move forward, learn from his mistakes, and become to be the best D on the team!

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
We all agree with who needs to be sat. The problem we have is the potential for one long term forward injury to occur. Then who replaces the empty spot? I don't believe any forward is on a B card this season. Remember the roster was set on paper before trng camp started and no one got an extended look or into preseason action. We played short often late last season. Nothing against him personally but I would like to see Playfair waived or traded if there's a market. Bring in a B card prior prospect to fill the role if an opening arises through injury.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Congrats on the start in Windsor guys. Although a Knights fan I love to see all of our geographically close teams doing well. Maybe it’s just me but the enemy is the Eastern Conference always will be! As far as TL keep in mind he was not the choice of your new GM and because of this he probably has a little shorter leash then if he was picked by Bowler? Well done Spits!

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
We all agree with who needs to be sat. The problem we have is the potential for one long term forward injury to occur. Then who replaces the empty spot? I don't believe any forward is on a B card this season. Remember the roster was set on paper before trng camp started and no one got an extended look or into preseason action. We played short often late last season. Nothing against him personally but I would like to see Playfair waived or traded if there's a market. Bring in a B card prior prospect to fill the role if an opening arises through injury.

I would agree with this. This is why a lot of people don't believe this is a year to make a run. They still need to acquire more picks, hit on picks and start having better depth. The downside of camp this year was that there wasn't a single kid that stuck out to the point that the Spits were interested in signing him.

Reactions: windsor7

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
This isn't the year to go for a run, unless something weird happens, but I don't think it's that far down the road. You might even be able to contend next season. (that said, if THIS team contends, I won't be upset)

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Nick Porco appears to be on the move from Saginaw (OHLInsiders) - team not mentioned but a few picks/players going other way. I'm going "hmmm" right now...

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
This isn't the year to go for a run, unless something weird happens, but I don't think it's that far down the road. You might even be able to contend next season. (that said, if THIS team contends, I won't be upset)

You're not contending next year OHL is hosting the Memorial Cup.

member 71782

The goal is 2021-22, but if something goes right before then, why brush it off?

I thought the org said the goal was two to three years after 2016/17?

This is year three, 2021/22, which I think is more realistic will be year five so another extended rebuild that hopefully gets them out of the "cycle".

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The goal is 2021-22, but if something goes right before then, why brush it off?

It's a numbers game they lose Boka/Purboo/Stevenson. You're not guaranteed to have Douglas/Corcoran/Angle back, Playfair shouldn't return, no guarantee that Piiroinen as he currently plays is back either. The only player they have signed not on the roster is Jodoin. Where will you replace 3-7 players????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00