Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I wouldn't mind seeing Angle/Afanasyev/Maggio; speed, playmaking, and finishing.

Cuylle/Foudy/McDonald looked really nice. That's a pretty complete trio.

D'Amico and Douglas have chemistry; find someone to play with them. Zito perhaps?

I've said before, the goaltending isn't as big an issue as it seems. Tonight was another example - five goals against, but Medina played very well. You could almost say he was funky hot! (someone had to) If the team can learn to stay out of the box, unless necessary, you limit your PK situations and limit the ugly goals.

The Boka hit REALLY got the bench up in arms. I'm disappointed nobody made a statement, but I'm not surprised. Knowing this league, a guy like Douglas goes after him and gets 2/5/10. Speaking of which, what did Henault say to earn such a quick penalty? Douglas gets whistled, called, and as soon as Henault opens his mouth, he's sitting.

Flint is a very good team but they didn't give Popovich much help tonight. If this Spitfires' team can play like this, but quit the stupid penalties and tighten up defensively, they'll be fine. Now, watch them score once tomorrow on 20 shots.

Reactions: Spits1963

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The numbers show inconsistency. There's a big difference. Medina also has been inconsistent but you don't seem to have the same gusto when criticizing him. Maybe the anti-Piiroinen thing is because of me? If I support, you can't possibly support?

Why do I make a case for Piiroinen? I've seen what he can do. He just needs to do it every game, plus having better support. In no place have I said he's a *great* goaltender, but I also know that the fan base had been seriously spoiled with DiPietro. People might not like going that route but it's true. When you deal away a franchise goaltender, expectations for the next are sky high. It's not much different than when Campbell struggled after our Memorial Cup wins; fans expected greatness, he didn't provide, and all heck broke loose.

Is that good enough of an answer? You can disagree if you like, I'm not overly concerned.

You didn't answer the question ergo it probably isn't a good enough answer.

Medina is a rookie a 3rd/4th round pick. Piiroinen has already been passed over in the NHL draft. Like I said the Piiroinen stuff if he was playing real good. I mean to the point where he was a sure fire #1 goalie for the Spits and producing at that level I would feel different.

For me what Piiroinen has done the idea of DiPietro or Campbell has never crossed my mind. Piiroinen was 9 years old when Campbell was playing in Windsor I doubt there's anything there and you're just reaching far too deep.

You're never concerned as long as there's hockey from September to March you're happier than a pig in slop.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Lots of bickering for one reason only, fans are frustrated for several reasons that all have legs to stand on. What I believe Spits fans desire is consistency from the top down. I'm talking ownership, MGMT, coaching. Players come and go and run out their OHL careers but having strong leadership and vision with a focus on being in the talk year in and year out is what I desire. Ex Dale Hunter in London, Brian Kilrea in Ottawa. People devoted to OHL hockey and not using it short term as a stepping stone to the NHL. When the group took over in 2006 we all thought that young group had a vision, they conquered and brought us championships and moved on from the Spits. Like I said, players are only here for 4-5 yrs max. Some great some not so much but if you're a fan of a team that's top to bottom trying to promote and maintain a competitive on ice product treating it professionally, well that's the vision that brings and keeps fans long term. I Havn't heard a word from the Cypher group since the spring. Not even a comment on how the season has been so far. Big disconnect for me. Kind of like owning a business just to write off loses against it for the greater sake of the corporation. I'd love to have the ownership, GM publicly state an altamatum on what is expected and what won't be tolerated. I have already heard of team rules regarding billets and location that have been ignored by MGMT this season. I won't mention players names directly to protect the billets who give more than they receive however that type of slide in discipline from the top leads to the lack of discipline on the ice. The ship needs tightening big time. Hold somebody accountable and now. We'd ***** at times about WR and guess what. He's not here and same s--t happening. As fans we have no avenue other than not showing up. That's not an answer, we need pressure from the media to get some kind of response from the top down. What is the vision of this team? I've no clue what is going on behind the scenes from Bowler or ownership long term.

I have heard similar things about rules not exactly being followed. It probably means very little this early in the year. That stuff can start to rot when things go sideways though. As they say a fish rots from the head down. Also if this stuff is happening there's the chance that the investment from ownership isn't there to the point where they care if this stuff is happening.

Reactions: Cherrydon

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You didn't answer the question ergo it probably isn't a good enough answer.

The answer is there; if you don't like it, so be it.

Medina is a rookie a 3rd/4th round pick. Piiroinen has already been passed over in the NHL draft. Like I said the Piiroinen stuff if he was playing real good. I mean to the point where he was a sure fire #1 goalie for the Spits and producing at that level I would feel different.

You were the same way with Piiroinen last year; he was a rookie and got a ton of slack. Piiroinen has had some very good games this season and I don't see you giving him credit for that. Heck, if I didn't know any better, I'd almost think you're giving him the gears just because I support him.

For me what Piiroinen has done the idea of DiPietro or Campbell has never crossed my mind. Piiroinen was 9 years old when Campbell was playing in Windsor I doubt there's anything there and you're just reaching far too deep.

What does age have to do with it? The scenario is in question - both times, you had elite goaltenders take the Spitfires to the pinnacle of junior hockey, then they were followed by a goaltender who was hyped and had a difficult time following suit. Both Campbell and Piiroinen are in the same boat in that respect. Even Piiroinen himself has said there was a lot of pressure coming in after DiPietro. Right now, I'm more worried about the defence (or lack thereof) than either goaltender.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

You were the same way with Piiroinen last year; he was a rookie and got a ton of slack. Piiroinen has had some very good games this season and I don't see you giving him credit for that. Heck, if I didn't know any better, I'd almost think you're giving him the gears just because I support him.

What does age have to do with it? The scenario is in question - both times, you had elite goaltenders take the Spitfires to the pinnacle of junior hockey, then they were followed by a goaltender who was hyped and had a difficult time following suit. Both Campbell and Piiroinen are in the same boat in that respect. Even Piiroinen himself has said there was a lot of pressure coming in after DiPietro. Right now, I'm more worried about the defence (or lack thereof) than either goaltender.

Well considering you support every player on this team that would probably mean I would give you the gears about every player. Piirioinen just hasn't been very good in the OHL and unfortunately not only is he 1 of 40 goalies in the OHL, he also is 1 of 36-40 imports in the league. It would be foolish not to also consider if Piiroinen isn't performing at a high level it also means they aren't getting any production from an import position which is important.

Pressure is awesome because that means there are expectations not only with what you expect of yourself but with what people/fans expect of you. Would you rather there not be any expectations?? As in nobody gives a damn if you give up 4 or 5 or 3 in a game.

Worried about the D now?? It was an issue last year and all they did was replace Staois with Rafkin, hope Ladd is healthy and status quo after. Why are you surprised the D is struggling??? That's like replacing the hubcaps on an 87 chevette and hoping it runs better the next year. Have to do more work on the car/d in order for it to be better. This is what people mean though Stevenson brought back as an OA because Bowler knows him very well. After 2 years Stevenson never really stood out as a top 4 guy and he's not exactly playing well. With this organization loyalty is clearly rewarded even in the face of things pointing in the opposite direction.

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
A couple of notes from last night's game... although giving up 5 goals, I think that Medina is going to be a great goalie in this league. A few times last night and in his other games he has shown a pretty good glove hand. The first goal, although Medina probably should have stopped it, MacDonald could have covered his man a little bit better and the power play goal was a good shot from a wide open man.
Medina was screened on Flint's third goal and the fifth goal was just a great shot. Afanasyev seems to be finding his way and is becoming the player that we thought that we were getting. I thought that he showed pretty good patience on his first goal and a good shot on his second goal. Purboo's goal was doing what he does best... pick up the garbage from around the net.

I think that our offense will be fine. Six playes had multi point games. Although Angle wasn't good on the faceoffs, Douglas, Playfair and Cuylle were. Special teams were better as well.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
We can always count on Rayzor to be the man of doom when it comes to the Spits
After last nights 7-5 win last night over Flint,Spits tied for 1st in the conference with 13 points,record now 6-3-1,and a fantastic 5-0-1 record at home,most points in the league at home currently and tied for 3rd overall with points.
Spits now sit 9th in the league on the PP,26% efficiency and 3rd in the league at home on the PP,going 8/20 for a 40% rate.
Razor took great pains to mention Windsor had scored alot of their goals against 2 worst tenders in the league, but failed to mention they have scored 10 goals against 2 of the league's best so far,4 against Ottawa's Andree and popped 6 against Popovich last night vs Flint,when he came into the game with a 2.65 goals against average,one of reasons that Flint is off to a nice start this season.Just adding a little context and balance to the party,something foreign to the detractors on this board.
Last night 12 different players scored points,6 different goal scorers, 2 by Afanaseyev, a guy who has been criticized early unfairly, not allowed to adjust I guess,he is starting to show some dominance to his game,a 3 point night from Angle,D'amico and Douglas had 2 point games,giving them 5 in the last 2 games,Rafkin a plus 3,plus 2 assists. All,9 forwards from the team's 1st 3 lines picked up at least a point,4th line of Zito, Playfair and Maggio had some good moments, highlighted by Zito's fight in the 3rd,with a much bigger and 2 years older guy Gretz,and acquitted himself very well.
Not going to hang the D and team for allowing 5 goals,one on a 2 man advantage one just as a penalty expired in the 3rd to Foudy,and one that should have been called back because of goalie interference, player made contact with Medina,confirmed it with him postgame,Medina overall,despite allowing 5 was fine,considering what I mentioned above,Spits really turned it on in the 3rd to gain the win,only downer,losing Ladd for the final 18 minutes after scoring a goal,apparent leg/ankle injury, unfortunate if injury is for any length of time.
Team through 10 games averaging 4.2 goals for per game,and 3.8 against,need to bring that down moving forward.
All in all alot more positives then negatives with this team,at this stage in the season,balanced scoring,improving PP,a no quit attitude
On to London tonight for the waiting London Knights, what else is new,1st 2 times Windsor plays London,they do not play the night before.
Figure on Piironen to get the start in this one,with possibly rookie dman James Jodoin making his debut assuming Ladd is unable to play tonight.

Last edited:

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere

Stop with the Canpbell and Kari comparisons. Not even the same like i mentioned before.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Another thought re last night's game between Windsor and Flint,anybody notice besides me that forward Cody Morgan for Flint was unnoticeable, like when he played for Windsor.
Must be their coach too, to blame for his inefficiency.

I like what the flint coach is doing.
Tl n company not at all.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor with a win last nite
Lots of goals by both teams.
Was supposed to be pink at the rink.
All their was was dollar store paper on railing n pink tap n laces on players.
Why no pink jerseys? Or more?
This management got so frugal. Sime special event. Lol
This was a long game. Very very little flow.
Good to see purboo finally scoring. Boka potted 1.
The pp actually scored a few last nite.
Defence was still very soft. Left the slot open all nite long. Surprised flint didnt score more because of this.
Medina played decent. A few goals glove side he should of had. More playing time could cure that. But with this coaching staff he might get what he needs.
Lots n lots of ice time for boka. Tl favorite. Over played often. Let the young kids play.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
We can always count on Rayzor to be the man of doom when it comes to the Spits
After last nights 7-5 win last night over Flint,Spits tied for 1st in the conference with 13 points,record now 6-3-1,and a fantastic 5-0-1 record at home,most points in the league at home currently and tied for 3rd overall with points.
Spits now sit 9th in the league on the PP,26% efficiency and 3rd in the league at home on the PP,going 8/20 for a 40% rate.
Razor took great pains to mention Windsor had scored alot of their goals against 2 worst tenders in the league, but failed to mention they have scored 10 goals against 2 of the league's best so far,4 against Ottawa's Andree and popped 6 against Popovich last night vs Flint,when he came into the game with a 2.65 goals against average,one of reasons that Flint is off to a nice start this season.Just adding a little context and balance to the party,something foreign to the detractors on this board.
Last night 12 different players scored points,6 different goal scorers, 2 by Afanaseyev, a guy who has been criticized early unfairly, not allowed to adjust I guess,he is starting to show some dominance to his game,a 3 point night from Angle,D'amico and Douglas had 2 point games,giving them 5 in the last 2 games,Rafkin a plus 3,plus 2 assists. All,9 forwards from the team's 1st 3 lines picked up at least a point,4th line of Zito, Playfair and Maggio had some good moments, highlighted by Zito's fight in the 3rd,with a much bigger and 2 years older guy Gretz,and acquitted himself very well.
Not going to hang the D and team for allowing 5 goals,one on a 2 man advantage one just as a penalty expired in the 3rd to Foudy,and one that should have been called back because of goalie interference, player made contact with Medina,confirmed it with him postgame,Medina overall,despite allowing 5 was fine,considering what I mentioned above,Spits really turned it on in the 3rd to gain the win,only downer,losing Ladd for the final 18 minutes after scoring a goal,apparent leg/ankle injury, unfortunate if injury is for any length of time.
Team through 10 games averaging 4.2 goals for per game,and 3.8 against,need to bring that down moving forward.
All in all alot more positives then negatives with this team,at this stage in the season,balanced scoring,improving PP,a no quit attitude
On to London tonight for the waiting London Knights, what else is new,1st 2 times Windsor plays London,they do not play the night before.
Figure on Piironen to get the start in this one,with possibly rookie dman James Jodoin making his debut assuming Ladd is unable to play tonight.

London home games r friday.
They will always wait for Windsor who has their home games Thursday.
This should be a non issue. Smh

m2m

Aug 14, 2008
Come on now, these 2 teams are alike as even mentioned previously by others on here (not HL, OHLTG either).... Flint had many defensive breakdowns (sound familiar like many here have commented about ours as well). This is also not just players but Coaches so I have to agree with HL, others on this that you have to give Some credit to TL at least for the win (or are wins just soley based on players now??).
Even london fans have complained about their coaching as they aren't off to a great start (hmm.. maybe it's all the line juggling that the coach does also there? - sound familiar also? ) Geez enough of complaining over and over about coaches, we get it, alot aren't happy about the coaches (and players, and things probably in their lives) but windsor isn't the only ones it seems to me.

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Game notes - Medina and Piirionen both remind me of Englage. Will let in 1 soft goal a game but still have a W at the end of the night. Our D has improved this year but are usually the cause of 1 or 2 goals a night. Its junior hockey they will have good and bad games. Both goalies will be fine.

D'Amico - I think one of the best games I have seen him play - laying on the body, winning every puck battle, relentless in the corner, in Flints face all night. I like him with Douglas. This seems to be a good fit - let Johnston or Zito play with them is a good idea.

Douglas - not sure what switch got turned on but he seems to have more energy and drive this year. Skill level has greatly improved. Maybe he stopped growing and is finally figuring out how to use that body.
Douglas was the one getting hooked so you can see why Heanault was upset, just needs to learn not to say poo to the refs.

TL - One game is not going to change my mind on some of the decision making process. Yes I liked the changes last night but Purboo is not a good fit on the top line. If over the next few weeks TL makes some good adjustments then I can be swayed, but not yet.

Afanasev - best game for him so far as well - always said you have to give anyone that is new to this league 10 to 15 games to adjust to the league and he is right on cue for that. If he keeps going he may very well be a one and done player for the Spits.

Chatter from some fans at the rink last night included " Spits need to make a big trade for a top player so they can go for it this year". I for one don't agree with that and really looking for a steady as it goes year with lots of learning going on while they stay competitive. Hope Bowler is thinking the same way.

On to London for another tough game. Spits play like they did last night and they will give London a run.

Reactions: member 71782

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Important win, power play much improved, hope they maintain it with consistency. 2 takeaways, 1. Boca getting flattened, your captain and no one came to his aid. 2. Zito gets 1st fight and TL on the bench cursing about it. It's not like Zito isn't sitting 5 min between shifts already.

Reactions: randomhero4life

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Important win, power play much improved, hope they maintain it with consistency. 2 takeaways, 1. Boca getting flattened, your captain and no one came to his aid. 2. Zito gets 1st fight and TL on the bench cursing about it. It's not like Zito isn't sitting 5 min between shifts already.

Letowski wasn't cursing because Zito got into a fight but moreso that a bigger older player pushed for a fight,nice the Flint player got tagged s couple of good ones,and the Windsor bench was pretty pumped.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Another thought re last night's game between Windsor and Flint,anybody notice besides me that forward Cody Morgan for Flint was unnoticeable, like when he played for Windsor.
Must be their coach too, to blame for his inefficiency.

It's obvious you really disliked Morgan in Windsor after you gave Rychel a pat on the back for acquiring him. He has 6 points in 8 games this year and that's with 0 included for last night. Ignore the 36 points in 38 career games with Flint and concentrate on the 1 game last night.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
It's obvious you really disliked Morgan in Windsor after you gave Rychel a pat on the back for acquiring him. He has 6 points in 8 games this year and that's with 0 included for last night. Ignore the 36 points in 38 career games with Flint and concentrate on the 1 game last night.

Actually I liked him,wanted him to succeed,he didn't here,just tired to see coaches blamed for all that goes wrong with a player,never the player

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
Medina - .875 save %
Piiroinen - .861 save %
Those stats are not nearly good enough. While both have had moments where they've played well those are subpar for this league. Once those numbers come up I'll feel better about the tandem but they must come up. I do feel more at ease when Medina is starting atm.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Heading to Windsor November 24th when the Attack make one of only 2 visits to the WFCU Centre. Wonder if any Spits fans will be in attendance who are posters on HFB??

If so PM me, I've made 2 trips to the WFCU Centre since 2017 and the Spits hosted the Memorial Cup Tournament still one of my top 5 arenas to see a game across the league in my travels.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Medina - .875 save %
Piiroinen - .861 save %
Those stats are not nearly good enough. While both have had moments where they've played well those are subpar for this league. Once those numbers come up I'll feel better about the tandem but they must come up. I do feel more at ease when Medina is starting atm.

Medina kept them in it during the 2nd period while the vets decided to hang Medina out to dry. Douglas behind the net trying to channel his inner defenseman and think he could skate out of trouble. Corcoran with a dreadful giveaway as well. As has been the case for some time the young guys aren't the issue it's the vets. I will be watching closely on how well they play in London in other words Angle/Douglas/Corcoran/Stevenson/Boka/Purboo/Playfair need to be your best players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad