Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
1-1 - pass from behind the net finds the Knight at top of the crease and he puts a backhand past Piiroinen.

So far, Piiroinen has been very good.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Well the 2nd was the opposite of the 1st.
Tl didnt make the changes needed.
Will he in period 3 or be stubborn like usual????

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
To be fair, there's hindsight. Morgan had 23 points in 65 games for Windsor and looked invisible on many occasions. It's great that he's succeeding in Flint but he didn't show that with the Spitfires. Now, he's worth more than a 2nd/4th, but at the time, it was a very solid return for the Spitfires.

Piiroinen and Kooy get the starts tonight in London.

Boka has 4G in 8 games; he's not going to be a healthy scratch anytime soon.

Plus boka is besties with tl

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
Solid effort in the third to pull this one out. Strong game against our biggest rival, well done. Piiroinen had a strong game and this should help boost his confidence even more. This was an important game for him to show his stuff, London is always used as a measuring stick and he hung in there in the 2nd and shut them down in the 3rd.

member 71782

Take out that second period and it was a very good game by Windsor.

That second period was also one of Piiroinen's best as a Spitfire, he kept them in it and gave them a chance to win.

Jodoin got a couple of shifts, not many in a tight game which should be expected but he looked like he is heading in the right direction. Not hoping Ladd will be out long term but would like to see some more of him with a bit more icetime.

Purboo looked better, looks like he was keeping it a bit simpler. Good, he needed to.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
That was the team effort they needed - come from behind, plenty of offence, timely goaltending, stingy defence.

Hopefully nothing big comes out of the final bru-haha at the end - D'Amico and Dunkley going at it after some sticks get high.

Windsor has now scored 19 goals in their last three games.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
That was the team effort they needed - come from behind, plenty of offence, timely goaltending, stingy defence.

Hopefully nothing big comes out of the final bru-haha at the end - D'Amico and Dunkley going at it after some sticks get high.

Well D’Amico did get a match penalty for hitting london player in neck area with stick so....

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor with a great win.
Played 2 good periods 1st n 3rd.
2nd period was not good at all.
The fin played good other than the last goal by London. That was weak.
Nice goal by angle. #11 almost scored a great goal too. Just missed.
Foudy played well.
Didnt notice a few players on the ice for windsor. Maybe less ice time finally???
London goalie played really bad.
Spits need to stay away from what happened at the end. Just dumb
Always nice to c a win in London. It doesn't happen often.

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

To add special teams effective on this night,Spits 1-4 on the PP,4-4 on the PK dont look now,much maligned PP is now #1 in the league at home at 40%,7th overall,11th overall on the PK,
Really impressed with teams no quit attitude.
D'amico facing suspension, unfortunate as he has 6 points in his last 3 games played.
Even though Jodoin dressed and played a couple of shifts,Spits basically went with 5D,with Ladd out with leg injury,apparently suffered cut in back of leg last night,too sore to go tonight,good chance he will play Thursday at home vs SSM.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Later in my post this story will become relevant: Back at the old Windsor arena when I was a kid, me and my brother would make up nicknames for all of the regular characters around the barn that we would see at every game. There was Kenny Rodgers who used to sit over the Zamboni door and harass the opposing goalie all game long. There was Salty Joe, the red headed usher who earned his name when my brother slowly dumped the salt from a handful of packets onto his head over the course of one game. Then there was my favorite: a big fat girl who always wore a Spitfire Jersey and sat in the seat right next to the Spitfire bench. We referred to her as the third goalie. Yes, me and my brother were total jerks when we were kids but I'm way more mature now obviously. Story time over, on to the post:

I thought the team played great, beating London is always tasty. The tears of their announce team after every penalty against London are like candy. My favorite broadcasting bon mot was when they said the puck wasn't kicked in. The London player is just wailing away at the puck with both feet like Maradona on a coke binge and they call it a Windsor own goal. This despite just watching multiple slow motion replays of said foot spasms. Priceless broadcasting, I love those idiots. Hey did you hear Antonio Stranges is an A listed prospect for the upcoming NHL draft? Of course you heard, at just about every stoppage in play.

Piiroinen shut my big fat hot taking mouth again with a solid performance. You can talk all you want about numbers and save percentage, but not every save is of equal value when calculating a win. Piiroinen is showing a decent ability to make difficult saves at key moments in the game. That's something he developed with the help of our allegedly crusty coaching staff, because it wasn't apparent last year that's for sure.

Medina beats a good Flint team, Piiroinen beats a good London team. We could play either one in any game and I'd feel pretty confident they would give us a good chance to win. How many other teams in the league could say that about their tandem? Rather than a situation where we don't have a definitive number one, we seem to have a situation where we don't have a definitive number two. At least we do have a definitive number 3, although she might require an overage slot by now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spits1963

Frank the Skank

Jan 11, 2019
104 Row D 15
Later in my post this story will become relevant: Back at the old Windsor arena when I was a kid, me and my brother would make up nicknames for all of the regular characters around the barn that we would see at every game. There was Kenny Rodgers who used to sit over the Zamboni door and harass the opposing goalie all game long. There was Salty Joe, the red headed usher who earned his name when my brother slowly dumped the salt from a handful of packets onto his head over the course of one game. Then there was my favorite: a big fat girl who always wore a Spitfire Jersey and sat in the seat right next to the Spitfire bench. We referred to her as the third goalie. Yes, me and my brother were total jerks when we were kids but I'm way more mature now obviously. Story time over, on to the post:

I thought the team played great, beating London is always tasty. The tears of their announce team after every penalty against London are like candy. My favorite broadcasting bon mot was when they said the puck wasn't kicked in. The London player is just wailing away at the puck with both feet like Maradona on a coke binge and they call it a Windsor own goal. This despite just watching multiple slow motion replays of said foot spasms. Priceless broadcasting, I love those idiots.

Ummm… once they saw the close up replay they said it was kicked in and would be disallowed..... the original replay it was hard to tell if it was a Knight or a Spitfire

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Well D’Amico did get a match penalty for hitting london player in neck area with stick so....

I hadn't seen the scoresheet; not good. He'll sit a few games.

Regarding the replay - at first, it was a question of whether the Knight kicked it in. Then, once they showed it over-head, you saw a Spitfire hit with a stick AFTER the kick. That's when they wondered if it was an "own goal." When they slowed it down and zoomed in, you could see the first kick, swing and a miss with the Spitfire stick, then the same Knights' player kicked a second time, which is when the puck went in. The Knights announcers did a good job on the call.

Reactions: Frank the Skank

m2m

Aug 14, 2008
Another win against a 'top 10 national team'?! (I am sure they will improve soon) How could that happen to our 'outcoached' team (just kidding ;)). It's great to hear opposing team's fans say something like "This team was out worked and out hustled by Windsor throughout the game and the better hardest working team one. " and "If the coach didn't own the team he should be fired ffs. If you cannot motivate your team to get up to play in front of 9,036 fans in major junior hockey than it is time to re-evaluate the coach and the game plan. This team looks at very best like a poorly coached bunch of wannabes from where I was seated. " Glad to get a win.
I didn't get a chance to watch it due to birthday party but would like to ask folks here how are our Vets did like Angle, Purboo, Playfair, Douglas, Corcoran, Stevenson, Boka (I am looking for improvements from last year) ?

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Game notes - well that was exciting - winning in London is always a good thing .

Piiroinen - second goal was a soft goal but the rest of the game was stellar. Exactly what we should expect from him and Medina - they will give the Spits the chance to win. I said before they will be fine and they will - like Crease Master says we have a very good goalie tandem .

Angle - on pace for 60 goals this year - ya he won't keep this up but 40 looks to be in the cards - at the start of the year I did not pick him to be the team sniper but looks like he is making a case for himself.

Cuylle - snake bitten - thought he would be the guy but sometimes pressure to preform makes it tough - he will find his groove - not worried about him.

Boka - never was a Boka fan on the offensive side of the puck but he seems to be playing much better in that role this year. If I was a contender I would be looking at him as a value trade to fill some roles.

Purboo - gets his points - not pretty but he finds a way. Love him in front of the net on the PP but 5 on 5 he struggles. He is what he is so really moving forward we know what we have - not really going to change.

Team effort was very good except the second period. TL seems to let them play this out - he needs to get in their face mid periods when they start to falter - to complacent behind the bench.

4 points in 2 games really what can we complain about - best part is both in regulation so you don't give anything to your conference foes.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I have to poise the question, are we contenders? Do we keep our vets and go for a run?
Not true contenders this year - team would have to give up too much to get some additional talent. Next year looks like a big year so sell off your non-returning players keying for a run next year.

The team is going to be good this year and will be competitive but focus has to be on next year.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Like what I’m hearing, a win in London is always great news!! Not happy Zito sits because of scrap on thurs tho!! What’s TL gonna do to D’amico lol... This is big for the confidence factor, let’s hope they can build off it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad