Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
All of that goes back to consistency, though. Not giving up three goals to start a period. Getting the quality chances, on top of quantity. Better preparing the players for a game. Having everything clicking for 60 minutes. It's all consistency that needs to be addressed.

Better coaching needs to happen.

Reactions: OHL 17

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
You have to look just beyond getting 30-35 shots though. Spits 2 highest goal outputs on the year have happened to come against 2 of the worst goalies right now in the league. On Friday the Kitchener Rangers went to ambush tactics went up 3-0 and that's extremely difficult to come back from. Spits played better the final 2 periods but it wouldn't have mattered if they got 60 shots for the game they still probably wouldn't have won. You can preach being more consistent but was there been a game this year which all 3 phases were clicking O/D/G/PP/PK??? It's up to the players to perform us wishing them to be more consistent is only that a wish. In order to play at a high level you need to have the talent and players need to be used properly. We already know the latter isn't happening ergo the former needs to be brought into question.

Proper context would be since after game 1 Spits also scored 4 goals against one of the best goalies in the league for Ottawa, Cedric Andree,after a penalty filled 1st and 2nd in that game PP wise,for Ottawa, outshot Ottawa 17-2 in the third,and had Ottawa ambushed and reeling.
Should also be stated that through 9 games Spits are only averaging 2 goals against 5 on 5,when that happens you should win more then you lose.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Honestly with TL I am not hopeful. 3rd season with the same exact faults and tendencies with different groups of players. Time to quit blaming players individually and look at the top. Bottom line I feel you take the best roster in the OHL and TL will find a way to disappoint. Sorry harsh comments but history here and at Sarnia proves my point. The same things like poor power play, line shuffling, overuse of veterans, stupid penalties, team not geared up for 60 min etc and soft play are all the same things everyone has been posting about for years now. We all know what needs to be done and ownership too cheap to pull the trigger for the paying fans. Several teams below us have 2 games in hand and while boasting we have 11 pts we could find ourselves in 8th place in a jiffy. Our goal differential is plus 2. That won't get it done.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Proper context would be since after game 1 Spits also scored 4 goals against one of the best goalies in the league for Ottawa, Cedric Andree,after a penalty filled 1st and 2nd in that game PP wise,for Ottawa, outshot Ottawa 17-2 in the third,and had Ottawa ambushed and reeling.
Should also be stated that through 9 games Spits are only averaging 2 goals against 5 on 5,when that happens you should win more then you lose.

Proper context?? The proper context would be in that Ottawa and Kitchener game they didn't show up to start the game and dug themselves a hole. The common trait was that they fell behind a few goals. Be thankful they got a point out of those 2 games. So averaging 2 goals against 5 on 5 per game is a sign you should win games?? What about the other 20 minutes of the game on the PP or PK?? How many goals does Windsor average per game 5 on 5??? The point is if you fall behind a few goals don't expect to get many dubs.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
After last season's cluster of losing close games, I'll take two points, even if it means they fall behind early on occasion. That just means they're learning to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeylegend11

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Proper context?? The proper context would be in that Ottawa and Kitchener game they didn't show up to start the game and dug themselves a hole. The common trait was that they fell behind a few goals. Be thankful they got a point out of those 2 games. So averaging 2 goals against 5 on 5 per game is a sign you should win games?? What about the other 20 minutes of the game on the PP or PK?? How many goals does Windsor average per game 5 on 5??? The point is if you fall behind a few goals don't expect to get many dubs.

Must be doing more right then wrong if their record is 5-3-1 in 9,and undefeated in regulation at home through 5 games.
Have they been perfect of course not
Are some players struggling yes notably Purboo and Cuyelle, special teams inconsistent yes,promising young players yes,including Robinson,Rafkin,Medina,Zito,solid vet performances, ie Ladd and Henault yes ,inconsistent performances from Piironen yes,a no give up attitude yes,only 5 players are in the minus category, and Rafkin leads with -4,yet leads rookie D in scoring,tied for team lead in points with 9.
Overall I am encouraged with the start and the potential with this group.
Am I willing to make moves to improve,yes but not to sacrifice the future.
Certain areas need to improve,ie Pk and PP,once that happens even better things will happen .

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
After last season's cluster of losing close games, I'll take two points, even if it means they fall behind early on occasion. That just means they're learning to win.

Are they "actually" learning something with this coaching staff?? Lol

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Are they "actually" learning something with this coaching staff?? Lol

Windsor 7,how many practices have you attended since the start of the training camp?
Just wondering have never seen you at one,closed to the public most of the time, unless you have a media pass like me ,I have been to a practice where I am the only one there outside of team personnel, and I can assure you drills,etc are worked on and things are being taught.Its a process coaching a team.

Reactions: Finster8 and OHLTG

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor 7,how many practices have you attended since the start of the training camp?
Just wondering have never seen you at one,closed to the public most of the time, unless you have a media pass like me ,I have been to a practice where I am the only one there outside of team personnel, and I can assure you drills,etc are worked on and things are being taught.Its a process coaching a team.

So u r saying u r better than everyone cause u r able to attend practices? #ego!!!

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
So u r saying u r better than everyone cause u r able to attend practices? #ego!!!
Where did I say that in my last post,you asked something I gave an answer,unless you have been at practices how do you know or not know what is being taught.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Guess its too obvious
Nice avoidance on my question
No specifics offered by you
What's obvious to me is 3 regulation losses in 9 games,unbeaten at home in regulation in 5 games,increased average in goals for per game,compared to last year,and thats with a few guys struggling to score early on,less players in the minus category

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
They're winning those close games they couldn't last season.

They're coming from behind to win games.

They've got four NHL draft picks (three chosen while being Spitfires) and five on the NHL's radar for 2020.

Sure, they're not learning anything with this staff...

(I don't agree with some of the stuff from TL and his staff, but questioning if the players are learning anything is nothing more than a stir-the-pot opinion)

Reactions: hockeylegend11

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Nice avoidance on my question
No specifics offered by you
What's obvious to me is 3 regulation losses in 9 games,unbeaten at home in regulation in 5 games,increased average in goals for per game,compared to last year,and thats with a few guys struggling to score early on,less players in the minus category

Just following your lead i guess. Lol

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

They've got four NHL draft picks (three chosen while being Spitfires) and five on the NHL's radar for 2020.

(I don't agree with some of the stuff from TL and his staff, but questioning if the players are learning anything is nothing more than a stir-the-pot opinion)

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Reactions: OHLTG

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Where did I say that in my last post,you asked something I gave an answer,unless you have been at practices how do you know or not know what is being taught.
Yes you are making it sound like you better then us. Telling us about your media pass and you the only one outside of personal that is there. All you needed to say was you have seen practises but nope had to go out of your way to tell us how special you are.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Must be doing more right then wrong if their record is 5-3-1 in 9,and undefeated in regulation at home through 5 games.
Have they been perfect of course not
Are some players struggling yes notably Purboo and Cuyelle, special teams inconsistent yes,promising young players yes,including Robinson,Rafkin,Medina,Zito,solid vet performances, ie Ladd and Henault yes ,inconsistent performances from Piironen yes,a no give up attitude yes,only 5 players are in the minus category, and Rafkin leads with -4,yet leads rookie D in scoring,tied for team lead in points with 9.
Overall I am encouraged with the start and the potential with this group.
Am I willing to make moves to improve,yes but not to sacrifice the future.
Certain areas need to improve,ie Pk and PP,once that happens even better things will happen .

So you want to make moves to improve but not sacrifice the future?? 19 other teams have that same idea. You talk of all these players struggling and yes they lack an abundance of picks moving forward. They're still in purgatory. Bowler decided to double down and kick the can down the road.

Why are you so confident in the PP improving when it has struggled under the Letowski reign? What needs to improve is team discipline so the PK isn't on the ice.

I'm neither encouraged nor discouraged. It's a milquetoast product with the same coach after 2+ years who insists on utilizing certain players in wrong ways to the detriment of overall team results and yes that matters since goaltending isn't at a level to compensate for that type of decision making.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Yes guys are on NHL radars just like going into last year Morgan/Starikov/Piiroinen(top draft eligible Fin goaltender available)/Angle etc... Show me.......

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Yes guys are on NHL radars just like going into last year Morgan/Starikov/Piiroinen(top draft eligible Fin goaltender available)/Angle etc... Show me.......

Would you rather have no first-round prospects? Wasn't one of the issues (for quite a long time, really) that we didn't draft/trade well and didn't have the young talent? Well, here you go. Cuylle/Foudy/Rafkin have been as-advertised and, like it or not, Piiroinen has looked better than last season. Heck, even Angle is showing what he was supposed to do all along. Give me four NHL drafted players and five guys on the NHL radar any day.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Yes you are making it sound like you better then us. Telling us about your media pass and you the only one outside of personal that is there. All you needed to say was you have seen practises but nope had to go out of your way to tell us how special you are.

Am I surprised that you would agree with a poster who is all negative 95% per cent of the time regardless what the team does,who makes a comment off base, so I called him out,if you aren't at practices you cant comment what is being taught and said.
Those who do get to view practices aren't special,but should have more or new insight then those who are unable to attend.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

True.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
So you want to make moves to improve but not sacrifice the future?? 19 other teams have that same idea. You talk of all these players struggling and yes they lack an abundance of picks moving forward. They're still in purgatory. Bowler decided to double down and kick the can down the road.

Why are you so confident in the PP improving when it has struggled under the Letowski reign? What needs to improve is team discipline so the PK isn't on the ice.

I'm neither encouraged nor discouraged. It's a milquetoast product with the same coach after 2+ years who insists on utilizing certain players in wrong ways to the detriment of overall team results and yes that matters since goaltending isn't at a level to compensate for that type of decision making.

You say the PP has struggled through the Letowski reign,then how do explain, the 1st half of the 1st season post Mem Cup when the Spits were in the top 3 in PP efficiency, and that's after heavy graduation, early graduation, Sergachev, no Vilardi,no Logan Brown except for 15 games before being dealt,Logan Stanley moved prior to season,and finally Luchuk dealt 38 games into the season,the PP finally dipped.
Could it be because of youth,inexperience , rebuilding that contributes to problems on special teams,should be noted PK was up in top 3 that year too.
This season I do additions of Rafkin,Afanaseyev and Robinson will contribute to any PP efficiency moving forward.
As for the PK,goalies have to be the best PK guys,this year so far not the case.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Am I surprised that you would agree with a poster who is all negative 95% per cent of the time regardless what the team does,who makes a comment off base, so I called him out,if you aren't at practices you cant comment what is being taught and said.
Those who do get to view practices aren't special,but should have more or new insight then those who are unable to attend.

The comment wasn't off base at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad