Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
You say the PP has struggled through the Letowski reign,then how do explain, the 1st half of the 1st season post Mem Cup when the Spits were in the top 3 in PP efficiency, and that's after heavy graduation, early graduation, Sergachev, no Vilardi,no Logan Brown except for 15 games before being dealt,Logan Stanley moved prior to season,and finally Luchuk dealt 38 games into the season,the PP finally dipped.
Could it be because of youth,inexperience , rebuilding that contributes to problems on special teams,should be noted PK was up in top 3 that year too.
This season I do additions of Rafkin,Afanaseyev and Robinson will contribute to any PP efficiency moving forward.
As for the PK,goalies have to be the best PK guys,this year so far not the case.

The thing is Letowski has had 1.5 years and part of this year to figure it out and they are still having issues. In other words there have been 100+ games since those trades to see what the PP can do. You can throw in Letowski's stint in Sarnia as well because that makes up his collective body of work as a coach. I have been told they have been rebuilding for the last couple years. Even heard people this year with the organization saying this is a rebuild. You can't just throw out the term "rebuild" on a whim. Eventually you have to get results. Hard to hide behind the term "youth" when Letowski repeatedly uses guys like Boka and Purboo in top roles.

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
TL is just too nice of a guy! Players and coaches are not being held accountable for their work. Same old, same old is the norm. PP is near the bottom 2 straight years, why is the coach not made to so something? Now the PK is going down, and what is being done? Last year you could see that the team was in poor shape, and were beaten in every aspect, the last 30/40 games (too nice to players). All signs TL is not capable of demanding change from either coaches or players. This is very obvious, and let's see if the Spitfires spend the money to do something about this!

Reactions: windsor7

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Would you rather have no first-round prospects? Wasn't one of the issues (for quite a long time, really) that we didn't draft/trade well and didn't have the young talent? Well, here you go. Cuylle/Foudy/Rafkin have been as-advertised and, like it or not, Piiroinen has looked better than last season. Heck, even Angle is showing what he was supposed to do all along. Give me four NHL drafted players and five guys on the NHL radar any day.
I wouldn’t care if we had zero first round prospects and were winning. No like those players that get chosen in first round amount to anything

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Must be doing more right then wrong if their record is 5-3-1 in 9,and undefeated in regulation at home through 5 games.
Have they been perfect of course not
Are some players struggling yes notably Purboo and Cuyelle, special teams inconsistent yes,promising young players yes,including Robinson,Rafkin,Medina,Zito,solid vet performances, ie Ladd and Henault yes ,inconsistent performances from Piironen yes,a no give up attitude yes,only 5 players are in the minus category, and Rafkin leads with -4,yet leads rookie D in scoring,tied for team lead in points with 9.
Overall I am encouraged with the start and the potential with this group.
Am I willing to make moves to improve,yes but not to sacrifice the future.
Certain areas need to improve,ie Pk and PP,once that happens even better things will happen .
While I agree with everything here, I strongly feel the team's biggest deficiency is the lack of discipline that leads to stupid penalties. They see to be on the PK a lot more than they are on the PP.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
While I agree with everything here, I strongly feel the team's biggest deficiency is the lack of discipline that leads to stupid penalties. They see to be on the PK a lot more than they are on the PP.

I would agree that definitely hurts the team. In regards to this group I ask myself. What is the one thing they do extremely well??? By that I mean what is it they do better than almost all the teams in the league. If you can't come up with anything it goes back to the team lacking an identity.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I would agree that definitely hurts the team. In regards to this group I ask myself. What is the one thing they do extremely well??? By that I mean what is it they do better than almost all the teams in the league. If you can't come up with anything it goes back to the team lacking an identity.

Rayzor

Name one the thing that the Erie Otters,do better then almost all teams,the other team that won a championship the same year Windsor won the Mem Cup.
Should be known that the Otters have missed the playoffs the last 2 seasons since their league championship, their record since then is 54-77-10-4,while Windsor in the same stretch has gone 62-66-10-7.
4 games under 500 after 145 Regular season games is alot different then 23 games under 500 and missing the playoffs twice,compared to Windso6 making the post season both years.
Based on your theory it seems Erie too has an identity problem no?

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Rayzor

Name one the thing that the Erie Otters,do better then almost all teams,the other team that won a championship the same year Windsor won the Mem Cup.
Should be known that the Otters have missed the playoffs the last 2 seasons since their league championship, their record since then is 54-77-10-4,while Windsor in the same stretch has gone 62-66-10-7.
4 games under 500 after 145 Regular season games is alot different then 23 games under 500 and missing the playoffs twice,compared to Windso6 making the post season both years.
Lets see. The previous 3 years before Erie won championship they had 3 seasons of 100 points. Now over that 4 year period i’m thinking the Otters would have a far superior record then Windsor. 2 bad years might be expected after a tremendous 4 year run.

Reactions: windsor7

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Legend terrible way to help your argument with the half year after mem cup win. Hell you made most of the against argument yourself. We agree often but not on this. The staff is brutal, and only in place due to cost saving. I’m pretty sure you know that tho. Your admission of having a press pass makes me pause. I’m betting the team knows who you are so your slant is a must for you. I’m ok with it but it you should have disclosed it ages ago. Special teams have been horrible for TL all along. The D while improved still is lacking skill sets that should be ingrained by now. The reliance on veterans that frankly are behind the young talent is another flaw TL continues to push. Let’s see how quickly the staff gets rehired when released from Windsor. I too like the players we have drafted the last few years that are still here. Those that left earned the move. The direction could skyrocket with the right ownership and front office in place. I hope my info is correct and it’s as soon as next year!!

Reactions: TheGremlin

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Rayzor

What has Windsor done in the playoffs the last bunch of years?
Won a bid to host mem cup and sneak in back door?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Legend terrible way to help your argument with the half year after mem cup win. Hell you made most of the against argument yourself. We agree often but not on this. The staff is brutal, and only in place due to cost saving. I’m pretty sure you know that tho. Your admission of having a press pass makes me pause. I’m betting the team knows who you are so your slant is a must for you. I’m ok with it but it you should have disclosed it ages ago. Special teams have been horrible for TL all along. The D while improved still is lacking skill sets that should be ingrained by now. The reliance on veterans that frankly are behind the young talent is another flaw TL continues to push. Let’s see how quickly the staff gets rehired when released from Windsor. I too like the players we have drafted the last few years that are still here. Those that left earned the move. The direction could skyrocket with the right ownership and front office in place. I hope my info is correct and it’s as soon as next year!!

Next year r u saying the whole coaching staff is gone? :)

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Lets see. The previous 3 years before Erie won championship they had 3 seasons of 100 points. Now over that 4 year period i’m thinking the Otters would have a far superior record then Windsor. 2 bad years might be expected after a tremendous 4 year run.

Why go back 3 more years,if you are going to that,let's go back 4 or 5 more,3 Mem Cups to none,I will take that any day.I was only comparing 2 teams who were going for it at the same time,and I dont see Erie doing any better,after both had to go into rebuild mode.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
What has Windsor done in the playoffs the last bunch of years?
Won a bid to host mem cup and sneak in back door?

A championship is a championship, I see no asterisk beside their accomplishment, not 1 player that I know declined his ring.
We didn't make the rules,only played by them.A healthy Windsor proved it's worth and the WFCU was as loud as in 09 and 10.
Btw I didn't start the championship thing,I was comparing Erie and Windsor, going for it the same year.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
A championship is a championship, I see no asterisk beside their accomplishment, not 1 player that I know declined his ring.
We didn't make the rules,only played by them.A healthy Windsor proved it's worth and the WFCU was as loud as in 09 and 10.
Btw I didn't start the championship thing,I was comparing Erie and Windsor, going for it the same year.

Maybe the thing Windsor does best is have people make up excuses for everything no matter the situation. Lol

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

Windsor 7,what are you a mimic?
Seriously after 9 games,a player's development is in danger.
More then one young NHL player has said even working out with or against their teammates in practice even if they sit out is great because the players they practice against are working hard to improve themselves at every practice, no different in Juniors, players are trying to get better,Jodoin is getting his reps in,getting ready to be ready when needed, extra work day of game when not playing, so no conditioning issues.
No injuries on defense,and no reason to pull a dman out just means he has not a chance to play.
Were this going on for 2 or 3 months concerns now far too early.
Admittedly I would prefer Jodoin assigned to La Salle,be on a B card,and Windsor somehow get an 18 or 19 year old to be a 7th guy,and Jodoin would be the 8th.
Not everything has to be negative with this team,if they were 0-7 like Sarnia, I can see negativity.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Why go back 3 more years,if you are going to that,let's go back 4 or 5 more,3 Mem Cups to none,I will take that any day.I was only comparing 2 teams who were going for it at the same time,and I dont see Erie doing any better,after both had to go into rebuild mode.
My point was that erie had to probably use and go thru more assets due to their 4 year run then Windsor’s 1 to 2 years. So Erie should be struggling more right now to rebuild but the argument wouldn’t make your case look strong so lets only look and the 1 year they go for it and not the years and assets used to get to that point. I just forgot that’s how you do things.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor 7,what are you a mimic?
Seriously after 9 games,a player's development is in danger.
More then one young NHL player has said even working out with or against their teammates in practice even if they sit out is great because the players they practice against are working hard to improve themselves at every practice, no different in Juniors, players are trying to get better,Jodoin is getting his reps in,getting ready to be ready when needed, extra work day of game when not playing, so no conditioning issues.
No injuries on defense,and no reason to pull a dman out just means he has not a chance to play.
Were this going on for 2 or 3 months concerns now far too early.
Admittedly I would prefer Jodoin assigned to La Salle,be on a B card,and Windsor somehow get an 18 or 19 year old to be a 7th guy,and Jodoin would be the 8th.
Not everything has to be negative with this team,if they were 0-7 like Sarnia, I can see negativity.

Why am i a mimic? Because u say so?
I guess not drinking the kool aid is always a bad thing. Lol

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Why am i a mimic? Because u say so?
I guess not drinking the kool aid is always a bad thing. Lol

So how is Jodoin being unduly mishandled, after all I that laid out giving reasons that this not the case.

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
So how is Jodoin being unduly mishandled, after all that laid out giving reasons that this not the case.

Maybe Windsor will keep doing what they r now....
And he can get lucky n get traded to a team where he can actually see ice time.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
My point was that erie had to probably use and go thru more assets due to their 4 year run then Windsor’s 1 to 2 years. So Erie should be struggling more right now to rebuild but the argument wouldn’t make your case look strong so lets only look and the 1 year they go for it and not the years and assets used to get to that point. I just forgot that’s how you do things.

And my point is that Erie had enough assets to go and get Tyler Radysh,Warren Fogele,Anthony Cirelli,Cameron Lizotte, and got Dylan Strome back from Arizona, whereas Windsor was still under sanctions,did not have a 1st round pick to deal or use,Erie did and traded it to get Cirelli,Windsor did not get Fischer back from Arizona, had to go out and get Bracco, which turned out great.
Both teams started the season after Mem Cup tourney equal on my view and Erie has not been great either if Windsor is being pegged as under achieving.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Maybe Windsor will keep doing what they r now....
And he can get lucky n get traded to a team where he can actually see ice time.
Because he has drafted
after the 1st round,he cant be dealt till next August.
Patience,understanding is the order of the day not premature vilification.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
And my point is that Erie had enough assets to go and get Tyler Radysh,Warren Fogele,Anthony Cirelli,Cameron Lizotte, and got Dylan Strome back from Arizona, whereas Windsor was still under sanctions,did not have a 1st round pick to deal or use,Erie did and traded it to get Cirelli,Windsor did not get Fischer back from Arizona, had to go out and get Bracco, which turned out great.
Both teams started the season after Mem Cup tourney equal on my view and Erie has not been great either if Windsor is being pegged as under achieving.

It wasn't erie fault Windsor was under sanctions. Only Windsor fault.
#excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad