Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Evola is the director of hockey ops and scouting but has a hand in all transactions as well.

Last year was his first with the team and looks like some solid picks with Foudy and MacDonald. We will see how the rest turns out later but he did help scout some solid players in Oshawa. Hopefully he can help nail the top picks and find 1 or 2 solid players later.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

member 71782

Should WR step down as GM and bring in new vision for draft? trades?
Or should he stay and continue to make trades and questionable draft picks?

Who should Spitfires interview for GM position? Internal staff or go outside? I acknowledge WR is an owner but maybe he should consider having someone else at GM in fact I don't think the team has an Asst. GM - they are 1 in 5 teams in the OHL with no Asst GM

He has a proven record of being able to build championship teams and he also has a record that has shown a certain level of futility at times that would have left any other hired GM on the outside looking in. Being part of the ownership group though grants him a certain amount of leeway that others surely would never receive. Unless the rest of the owners were looking to push him out the door his position is safe. That being said how much of this is acceptable, especially when it affects the bottom line that others want to see better results from?

For now he's not going anywhere, two years down the road if this team were still spinning its wheels for a second extended period of time then I could see questions being raised internally.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
He has a proven record of being able to build championship teams and he also has a record that has shown a certain level of futility at times that would have left any other hired GM on the outside looking in. Being part of the ownership group though grants him a certain amount of leeway that others surely would never receive. Unless the rest of the owners were looking to push him out the door his position is safe. That being said how much of this is acceptable, especially when it affects the bottom line that others want to see better results from?

For now he's not going anywhere, two years down the road if this team were still spinning its wheels for a second extended period of time then I could see questions being raised internally.
Being part owner and GM has it's advantages. Much easier to point a finger and make changes in other area's. (TL has to be looking over his shoulder). Also don't think this down turn will last much beyond this season so Warren will get the usual side glance and then we all move forward sorta thing.

Reactions: TheGremlin

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I would agree with this. I imagine if Rychel fired Letowski his next hire would be extremely important because if that didn't work out fingers would be pointed at Rychel. My question is this we already know Letowski hasn't had a great year. If Letowski is let go why wouldn't Jerrod Smith get that same fate? Letowski never brought in Smith to begin with. At this point everyone has to own this.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
I would agree with this. I imagine if Rychel fired Letowski his next hire would be extremely important because if that didn't work out fingers would be pointed at Rychel. My question is this we already know Letowski hasn't had a great year. If Letowski is let go why wouldn't Jerrod Smith get that same fate? Letowski never brought in Smith to begin with. At this point everyone has to own this.
Speaking of Jerrod Smith, everything is relative isn’t it. No way they fire him. :laugh:

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
So you think the organization should ask teenagers how they feel about Smith and the organization goes from there? Yeah nothing can go wrong with that.........:huh::huh::huh:

Rychel like many GM's in the league keeps regular communication with the players. Has a lot of one on ones with players. What they discuss is between them, but I can tell you it is valued by Rychel.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Rychel like many GM's in the league keeps regular communication with the players. Has a lot of one on ones with players. What they discuss is between them, but I can tell you it is valued by Rychel.

There's a difference between communicating and using their opinion to guide you in yours. Sports is littered with players falling in love with a coach wanting management to keep said coach and it ends up being a disaster. Also all of this wouldn't speak well since it's been stated the players don't like Letowski and he's still behind the bench every game. An opinion can be valued but that doesn't always mean you take their advice. Players have an extremely short shelf life 3-4 years in most cases. To get their advice when they might not even be there long term seems like a fruitless endeavor. For example you going into this year you had 12-13 guys returning from the roster last year. I would hope that Rychel wasn't asking Kut/Larionov/Morgan/DiPietro/Starikov/MacDougall what they thought of coaches. Just like going into this offseason asking Garagan/Boka/Purboo/Stevenson/Incze and any players that want out wouldn't be the greatest players to canvas. Furthermore if you're looking at the junior hockey cycle you would most likely be asking their opinion for what it looks like in the future because they have clearly been rebuilding the last 2 years.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
I find the use of the term "teenagers" to be odd here. It's almost as if it's done on purpose to diminish them. If I have coaching decisions to make, I'm definitely getting the players' opinions.
I don’t feel the use of the term teenagers to be odd at all. That is in fact what they are . They are boys, players and team mates who are between 13-19 the age group normally called teenagers.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Getting opinions on a coach could (and should) be more than just "should we keep him?" I'd definitely ask the older players as, unfortunately, they've dealt with multiple coaches and can give a comparison to how systems are run, how the coaches interact with players, etc. For example - a GM goes up to a veteran and says "thoughts on this coach?" The veteran could say "he works really well with the young guys and is good with bringing us together. You can tell the players respect him"... the veteran isn't back next year but that would be a huge thing for a GM to hear. Similarly, if a veteran goes "I know we're rebuilding but you can tell he doesn't like using the younger guys. I like his style but it's not good for what you're looking to do", then that also goes a long way for a GM. If I'm a GM, i want the players to respect the coach and everyone needs to be on the same page. Veterans and rookies definitely give a different perspective and you need that.

I don’t feel the use of the term teenagers to be odd at all. That is in fact what they are . They are boys, players and team mates who are between 13-19 the age group normally called teenagers.

Yes, they're teenagers, but sometimes it's the way you say the word that brings out different vibes.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
There's a difference between communicating and using their opinion to guide you in yours. Sports is littered with players falling in love with a coach wanting management to keep said coach and it ends up being a disaster. Also all of this wouldn't speak well since it's been stated the players don't like Letowski and he's still behind the bench every game. An opinion can be valued but that doesn't always mean you take their advice. Players have an extremely short shelf life 3-4 years in most cases. To get their advice when they might not even be there long term seems like a fruitless endeavor. For example you going into this year you had 12-13 guys returning from the roster last year. I would hope that Rychel wasn't asking Kut/Larionov/Morgan/DiPietro/Starikov/MacDougall what they thought of coaches. Just like going into this offseason asking Garagan/Boka/Purboo/Stevenson/Incze and any players that want out wouldn't be the greatest players to canvas. Furthermore if you're looking at the junior hockey cycle you would most likely be asking their opinion for what it looks like in the future because they have clearly been rebuilding the last 2 years.

Just the last 2 years?
Seems and feels like last 8 years.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit

Was just stating WR has a open door policy for players. One thing I would bet on is that WR is fully aware of player frustrations towards Lewtowski. Obviously WR is not going to let players dictate his decisions. All I know is that changes need to be made, when, who etc. who knows?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Correct it wasn't used in the manner he thought. These are guys with a limited shelf life of 3-4 years on average. I would also add with how often coaches move on that management talking to players probably isn't the best course of action. For instance the Spits have had 3 different head coaches in the past 5 seasons. Not sure you want to be in the business asking players their opinion when things are constantly influx and change.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Was just stating WR has a open door policy for players. One thing I would bet on is that WR is fully aware of player frustrations towards Lewtowski. Obviously WR is not going to let players dictate his decisions. All I know is that changes need to be made, when, who etc. who knows?

I would agree more in regards to what you say. I would also say with the number of players under-performing at this point for a player to go to Rychel would look real bad imo.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
I would agree more in regards to what you say. I would also say with the number of players under-performing at this point for a player to go to Rychel would look real bad imo.

Some players might think they are under-preforming due to Lewtowski's systems, roster management etc......at least that's what they are sticking with. Honestly at this stage it is a hot mess!! .....All I can say is that moral seems to be a bit better in Flint these days since a coaching change.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Open door is just that. Anything can be discussed with the confidence of knowing it stays in that room. He doesn’t ask questions like should we keep this coach lol. Questions are based on info gathering without being pointed. Many ways to get the answers needed without putting a kid on the spot. 2 of my sources are saying something is stirring that isn’t player based. Very veiled info but coach searches always are. Whatever is up it’s managment based. My guess would he’s coach shopping tho. I have nothing else to support it yet so I guess we wait.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Question - Spits play a game ( this Monday) on Family day. I know they have played in games this holiday before but have the Spits ever hosted 1 before?

Speculation - Don't be surprised at the end of the year it is announced that the head coach of the Spits has "accepted" a assistant coaching position with a minor pro hockey team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad