Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Open door is just that. Anything can be discussed with the confidence of knowing it stays in that room. He doesn’t ask questions like should we keep this coach lol. Questions are based on info gathering without being pointed. Many ways to get the answers needed without putting a kid on the spot. 2 of my sources are saying something is stirring that isn’t player based. Very veiled info but coach searches always are. Whatever is up it’s managment based. My guess would he’s coach shopping tho. I have nothing else to support it yet so I guess we wait.

I asked the question why a guy like Smith should stick around if Letowski is on a short rope because Letowski never brought Smith in. OHLTG framed it like Rychel should ask the players what they think of Smith. I made the mistake of engaging him in conversation though my bad.

Reactions: TheGremlin

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I just said you treat them as individuals and not as one combined thing... and I stand by that. If the players are finding JS to be useful, that should be taken into consideratin for the future. Don't because someone doesn't like TL doesn't mean JS is automatic to leave, too.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
what should happen is the new coach decides if JS stays or goes. JS might not be a good coach/fit for a certain system a new coach wants to run. Sometimes you just need to clean house and start fresh

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The players haven't been consistent and there are several reasons for that but how many Jr teams in Canada can state there core players have been consistent all year? Maybe the top 2 teams in each of the Jr teams while the majority have this struggle.

Part of being consistent and having a good coach is for the GM to have the proper players in the pipeline including accounting for potential injuries in key positions. The Spitfires have fallen short in this area and actually have been consistently doing poorly in the area of player development & recruitment from their draft picks (Minor Midget and Midget). Where are the players they Spitfires selected in the last 2-3 Midget drafts? Why are they not playing on the team?

This is why you need a much better supporting cast. Spits will have 4-5 20+ goal guys and still near the bottom in the OHL for goal scoring. The big thing is accounting for injuries and they been playing below the max for some time now. I still believe the game has changed a lot in the past 8-9 seasons and Rychel hasn't accounted for it and adjusted properly.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
what should happen is the new coach decides if JS stays or goes. JS might not be a good coach/fit for a certain system a new coach wants to run. Sometimes you just need to clean house and start fresh

agreed.
maybe it will happen.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Ah ok. If my info comes to fruition I would hazard a guess WR hires a quality high end guy this time. I think TL was somewhat of an experiment that hasn’t worked out. If the hiree is what I think, he will be given full control of bench personnel. Kinda why smith and Webb are here. Coaching by committee shall we say... I just hope my info is solid. I’d hate to give up my ST’s but I will if he’s still here next year.

Reactions: TheGremlin

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
If my stats check out and Mikey finishes this out, He'll be the first 19 Year Old Goalie with a complete game since Lehner in 10/11, before that Fleury in 03/04. And 1 of 43, 19 year old goalies since the 1919/1920 season.

I hope they give him another shot to prove himself before sending him back to Ottawa.

19-Year Old NHL Goalies - Regular Season Stats

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Ah ok. If my info comes to fruition I would hazard a guess WR hires a quality high end guy this time. I think TL was somewhat of an experiment that hasn’t worked out. If the hiree is what I think, he will be given full control of bench personnel. Kinda why smith and Webb are here. Coaching by committee shall we say... I just hope my info is solid. I’d hate to give up my ST’s but I will if he’s still here next year.

I would hope they move on from Letowski. I'm not questioning your info but if they are hiring a quality high end guy a lot of those guys don't become available until May/June. That would be past early bird renewal for sth. They had 3500 for Saginaw on Thurs, that tells you their STH # is less than 3500. Needless to say they aren't going to get a lot of walkups the rest of the way it looks like. If fans are turned off by the current product Rychel would have to make a move quick to help save some #'s.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Looked like a decent third period for Mikey. Gave up one goal on a tipped shot that appeared to be going wide from the angles I saw. Seemed to settle down in the third. Big game, hopefully he forgets it and moves on. And I really hope he gets one more chance at the NHL lever before sent back. It would be tough if this was his only NHL game for the next couple years.

Reactions: OHLTG

Nyax

Oct 2, 2008
Parts Unknown
I was pretty surprised to turn on the Canucks game and see Mikey was starting. It's very rare for a junior emergency goalie call-up to get a start. Dylan Ferguson got some playing time last year with Vegas but it was in mop up duty. He didn't start any games. For card collector's like me it means his rookie cards will be coming out later this year, which is pretty cool!

You could tell he was super nervous (who wouldn't be in his position), I could feel his nerves through the tv. The Canucks sure did him no favours coming out as flat as they did. He certainly couldn't be faulted on the first goal. Even though the outcome wasn't pretty it was awsome seeing him play in an NHL game. Congrats to him and his family. Hopefully there will be many more NHL games in his future.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I would hope they move on from Letowski. I'm not questioning your info but if they are hiring a quality high end guy a lot of those guys don't become available until May/June. That would be past early bird renewal for sth. They had 3500 for Saginaw on Thurs, that tells you their STH # is less than 3500. Needless to say they aren't going to get a lot of walkups the rest of the way it looks like. If fans are turned off by the current product Rychel would have to make a move quick to help save some #'s.

If i had to guess.
Id say sth r around 3200.
Rest walk ups or such

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Nice to see dipietro get a start in the show.
Must of felt like he was back on Windsor.
No help at all especially from the defense.

Reactions: punch1943

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I question the info myself. Don’t usually hear anything about coach searches. I’d be shocked if anything happens before the summer anyway it’s the nature of the beast. Most STH just renew, the swings are never that big. Me I’ll wait til I know what’s goin on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->