Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Other than the second-half of last season, when OAs weren't really needed, I don't believe WR has had fewer than three OAs during his tenure as Spitfires' GM. Most years, he's had 3-4 and dealt one away.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Medina wasn't going to start here, or even play here this season - tough to give a top level education package to that player. It was the right decision for both player and organization, respectively. Also might not be seen as worth the gold package whereas these others could be. It's not an apples to apples comparison - each situation is going to be different. Also will depend on if they sign pro deals (or likelihood of signing them down the line) which makes the packages go away. Egor is seen as a second rounder - almost surely would sign a pro-contract unless has a career ending injury.

I don't believe it was the best decision for the organization. They didn't draft him to begin with of the mind he wasn't going to show. For him obviously it was. Players always have the leverage regardless of the situation. It's not like he has only one choice.

The discussion with Egor is different though with him waiting he might just be around for 1 year and you would lose out on the possible picks. I am down for Egor coming in now, not so much next year. You don't turn him down but if your team isn't contending for a title next year the idea of moving Egor would be best for the franchise.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I don't believe it was the best decision for the organization. They didn't draft him to begin with of the mind he wasn't going to show. For him obviously it was. Players always have the leverage regardless of the situation. It's not like he has only one choice.

The discussion with Egor is different though with him waiting he might just be around for 1 year and you would lose out on the possible picks. I am down for Egor coming in now, not so much next year. You don't turn him down but if your team isn't contending for a title next year the idea of moving Egor would be best for the franchise.

If had not drafted Piironen in the Euro draft,I would be inclined to agree about not being the best decision not to sign Medina,the fact they did and signed him,pretty sure he will be here 3 years and I am also sure Medina did not want to wait till being 19 years old before being a starter.
I think when the opportunity came to draft Piironen they took it,could always trade Medina's rights if someone were interested in getting him to play with them in the O.

Reactions: OHLTG

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit

This is an interesting idea. The conditional picks go back to Ottawa if we get Egor Afanasyev to sign. If they trade him for picks now and he signs with the other team we could essentially double dip on picks. Anyone know if the conditional picks only pertain to Windsor signing him?

Reactions: KyGuy9

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
As far as I know, they're conditional on Afanasyev signing with Windsor. At least from what WR said. Maybe there's more to it, I can't say.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Legend I know you're throwing names out there like Kelly/Webber/Evans/Egor

Kelly-MSU
Egor-MSU
Webber-BU
Evans-Brown

You said earlier that Medina wanted a large education package and that's a guy who didn't have a commitment to a school. You think the above 4 are just going to actually ask for a lesser value education package when they have an existing commitment to a school? Someone would have to be off their proverbial rocker to turn down Brown for a CHL education package.

Not sure why you say Brown University would be better for Evans then if the Spits offered up a gold package which in effect means he could go to Harvard for example if he wished if a pro career didn't work.
As for Kelly I know talking to his family at camp he is leaving the door very open to playing here.
As for the Russian Afanaseyev I agree with Seidel,I don't think he will set foot at Michigan State,being represented by Newport tells me that they wont be asking how his social studies are going after being drafted by an NHL team.
As for Webber,he left the US Development team to return home to play,young man needs to play at a higher level,perhaps if he is drafted they could steer him here next year.
Now do I think Windsor will all 4,probably not though if they did,it would drive you nuts,I would happy with 2 minimum, Evan's and Afanaseyev, 3 very happy if Kelly signs,and over the moon should Webber make it 4 of a kind.
One can hope,though if 2 or more sign here you will be shocked, not me.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Legend I know you're throwing names out there like Kelly/Webber/Evans/Egor

Kelly-MSU
Egor-MSU
Webber-BU
Evans-Brown

You said earlier that Medina wanted a large education package and that's a guy who didn't have a commitment to a school. You think the above 4 are just going to actually ask for a lesser value education package when they have an existing commitment to a school? Someone would have to be off their proverbial rocker to turn down Brown for a CHL education package.
NCAA hockey is not for everyone. While I do not know any of these 4 individuals, they may not be overly interested in education at this time. They may have hockey as their number 1 priority and not be interested in sitting in class 12 to 16 hours per week plus studying outside of class. While this is very shortsighted on their parts, remember we are talking teenagers here. I made many decisions at that age that I look back and not know probably wasn't wise. I would guess that everyone else did the same. The NCAA is full of athletes that don't take full advantage of the opportunity they have been given.

I can't speak for the others, but as far as Egor, I would assume he sees himself in the NHL in 3 years. He will take the path that he feels will best get him to his goal. He could be in the NCAA, the AHL or OHL next year and possibly (though a long shot) in the NHL. His mind is probably totally on hockey and not what he is going to major in at MSU.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Any idea why the teddy bear toss is Sunday I think? I thought it was mostly on Thursday nite. Don't they draw more fans on a Thursday? Dont they think they can't score a goal against the otters? Shouldn't u have a game where more fans come so more teddy bears can be collected? Getting close to Christmas, families r shopping for pressents more on weekends than attending spitfire games.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't think the overall attendance difference between Thurs nights and Sun afternoons are enough to go "they draw more on this day." No matter which day of the week you have the toss, you're going to get some families who go shopping, some who eat out, some who attend the games, and some who stay home to watch movies. One noticable difference between Erie and Saginaw - the Spitfires average 6.33 goals-scored per game against the Spirit, while just 4.00 against the Otters. Perhaps the team thought there was a better chance of flying fur against the Spirit?

Seriously... why is this even a topic? They're letting the fur fly on Sunday. That's a good thing, regardless. Enjoy it.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
Arguing about the day of the Teddy Bear toss is ridiculous. If people are planning on donating bears for a great cause, they will. If a family wants to attend a Sunday game, they will do their shopping another day. Let's not turn this great event into a very unnecessary argument.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Sunday games attract more families, which makes sense since Thursday games don't end until around 9:20 and kids have school on Friday. The teddy bear toss is fun for the kids (as well as adults). They might have a larger crowd by having it on a Sunday. It appears to me that management is trying different things to bolster attendance.

Reactions: Teflon and OHLTG

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I don't think the overall attendance difference between Thurs nights and Sun afternoons are enough to go "they draw more on this day." No matter which day of the week you have the toss, you're going to get some families who go shopping, some who eat out, some who attend the games, and some who stay home to watch movies. One noticable difference between Erie and Saginaw - the Spitfires average 6.33 goals-scored per game against the Spirit, while just 4.00 against the Otters. Perhaps the team thought there was a better chance of flying fur against the Spirit?

Seriously... why is this even a topic? They're letting the fur fly on Sunday. That's a good thing, regardless. Enjoy it.

If you don't like the topic not sure why you would talk about it but you did.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If you don't like the topic not sure why you would talk about it but you did.

LOL I wasn't even the first one to talk about it. I actually love the topic (Teddy Bear Toss is one of my favourite nights of the season)... the debate is really weird, though. (which is what I meant, in case we get into semantics)

Last edited:
Reactions: randomhero4life

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Staios back Sunday from his suspension. Are any of the others back this weekend, Angle/Playfair/Ladd?

Kitkevicious as well missed the weekend games.
Not sure other then Staios and Angle,who is ready to go,hopefully all 3 consisting of Ladd,Playfair and Kitkevicious.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Kitkevicious as well missed the weekend games.
Not sure other then Staios and Angle,who is ready to go,hopefully all 3 consisting of Ladd,Playfair and Kitkevicious.
I heard ( rumor) that Playfair was cleared to go Friday but being there was only 1 game left on the weekend they felt best to rest him. Hoping this was the case and we will see him tomorrow.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Not sure why you say Brown University would be better for Evans then if the Spits offered up a gold package which in effect means he could go to Harvard for example if he wished if a pro career didn't work.
As for Kelly I know talking to his family at camp he is leaving the door very open to playing here.
As for the Russian Afanaseyev I agree with Seidel,I don't think he will set foot at Michigan State,being represented by Newport tells me that they wont be asking how his social studies are going after being drafted by an NHL team.
As for Webber,he left the US Development team to return home to play,young man needs to play at a higher level,perhaps if he is drafted they could steer him here next year.
Now do I think Windsor will all 4,probably not though if they did,it would drive you nuts,I would happy with 2 minimum, Evan's and Afanaseyev, 3 very happy if Kelly signs,and over the moon should Webber make it 4 of a kind.
One can hope,though if 2 or more sign here you will be shocked, not me.

Nothing is stopping Webber from signing now since he's an 01 and left USDP. Seidel was talking as if he was Santa not as if it's etched in stone. It wouldn't drive me nuts this team needs a large talent injection if it takes signing all of them and going crazy with education packages they probably should. I like how you believe this upcoming offseason will be different from this one when most offseasons are all the same. The Spits will sign a few of their minor midget picks, they may sign 1 additional young player, draft an import and that's about it. If you really want a big offseason have a great last 30+ games, finish in 1st, go and win a couple rounds in the playoffs to make this a destination.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Nothing is stopping Webber from signing now since he's an 01 and left USDP. Seidel was talking as if he was Santa not as if it's etched in stone. It wouldn't drive me nuts this team needs a large talent injection if it takes signing all of them and going crazy with education packages they probably should. I like how you believe this upcoming offseason will be different from this one when most offseasons are all the same. The Spits will sign a few of their minor midget picks, they may sign 1 additional young player, draft an import and that's about it. If you really want a big offseason have a great last 30+ games, finish in 1st, go and win a couple rounds in the playoffs to make this a destination.

They didn't have to that last year,and Will Cuylle wanted to come here,l am thinking playoff series wins were a non factor signing this kid,I would say the signing of 4 D and several other players such as Dipietro and Vilardi,toss in Bracco Addison the year or less before was an attraction to come here.He and his agent could have said no deal here,we know what happened.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
They didn't have to that last year,and Will Cuylle wanted to come here,l am thinking playoff series wins were a non factor signing this kid,I would say the signing of 4 D and several other players such as Dipietro and Vilardi,toss in Bracco Addison the year or less before was an attraction to come here.He and his agent could have said no deal here,we know what happened.

So a high end kid(s) choose to go to Windsor??

Hhhmmm when a kid decides to go to the evil empire its an issue with so many fans
. Kid chooses to hold out n go to WS, its all good. Got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad