Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Hope V comes back to the O. Needs to see if that back will handle playing reg. I think it’ll take some real picks to see WR trade any of the three mentioned and I’m not sure any of them are worth as much as u guys are hoping. I know he’s tinkering, hell lets be clear, he’s gonna try and get creative. I like having a full roster of OA’s imho it only helps the team. The rumor mill is still. lol over but I’ve heard nothing I’m confident in retelling.

If history plays any part, we'll see an "obvious" deal, plus one that makes us spit out our coffee. No pun intended. Gotta love WR; always has that trick up his sleeve.

Reactions: Teflon

member 71782

In regards to my earlier post

Do I think Corcorran will be traded? Probably not but a team like Guelph, likely to go for it but not a lot of picks to deal with will likely look to add at a reasonable cost. To make any deal seem reasonable and justify spending a bit more they likely look to add multiple players who are solid but not necessarily the top names out there. I'm sure they add one big name but do they have enough to add two? Probably not unless bargain bin prices are available in which case some of the teams who may be selling may add a piece or two and see how they make out. A deal for Boka/Corcorran with Guelph makes sense from Guelph's perspective. Both two year players, both won't command the same as the high end names out there and both fill needs/enhance Guelph's line up. Any deal would have to make it worth while for Windsor but at the same time still be affordable.

Do any of those three get moved? Who really knows at this point but Boka and Purboo make the most sense in terms of potential value and as I said in my original post, if there was a deal to be had with Guelph I could see them looking for someone like Corcorran to go along with Boka for the reasons I already posted.

As for value that I posted, not sure how close it would be and as I've said in the past don't do well judging value but it was a shot in the dark.

Corcorran makes no sense for Windsor to deal, being 18 with another year plus potential OA year as well but if there is enough on the table I wouldn't be upset if he were dealt simply because Windsor is two years away, Corcorran may or may not be here as an OA and if they can get value for him while opening more time for the kids who will be here I'm not against it.

Any of us throwing suggestions out there are doing just that, throwing suggestions/opinions on where we would like to see things go, nothing more.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
I wonder if Vildari will go back to Ontario California after thevWorlds so the Kings can keep a better eye on him with his back problems.

member 71782

If Vilardi comes back Windsor is already stockpiling picks for the next run after this one, maybe even two ruins out and with the new rule change Rychel would likely be losing his mind having extra picks he can't spend for another five or six years.

I can see him going through withdrawls over these picks.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

member 71782

I wonder if Vildari will go back to Ontario California after thevWorlds so the Kings can keep a better eye on him with his back problems.

He's still NHL or OHL. He was only allowed a three game conditioning stint in the AHL. Times up and LA will have to decide by the end of the world juniors. Play him in LA, send him back to Kingston where he is likely moved or have him sit the year and continue rehabbing/building his body back up to ensure this does not continue down the road.

My guess is they will monitor him through the WJC, evaluate him after the tourney is done and decide from there.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Only players I see being moved by Rychel at or near deadline are forwards Luke Kitkevicious and Luke Boka.
Windsor with 6 cards left,only injuries serious variety or a player or players moved without someone being returned will cards be used,perhaps another OA,time will tell.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I would have a hard time seeing them move Corcoran. Only because they have 1 D that certainly won't be back next year in Allen, another guy in Stevenson who's not OA caliber and Starikov who has regressed and they should look to utilize an open import slot. Your other 3 Corcoran/Ladd/Staois probably will be sticking around just based on need.

It will most likely be a 3 year rebuild to get to the point of contending for a title so around the 21/22 season. This year their OAs and 19 year olds aren't good enough and a big reason for their struggles. If their 19 year olds are an issue this year it won't really change next year. You either need to use more assets to get better OAs next year or sit pat take your lumps try and build up more picks in the cupboard.

Rayzor
I feel Windsor will contend next year or more so the following year rather then in 21/22 because of the following reasons.
Exhibit A- As I pointed out earlier Spits 16 year old players have more points then any team in the OHL to this date and by quite a margin to boot.
Exhibit B- Just found out today that Spits dmen 17 and under, 3 of them,
Ladd,Staios,Henault combined lead the OHL in points,more then any teams 16 and 17 year old dmen.
In fact here are the point totals for all listed below with points,and number of dmen in brackets
Windsor-31(3)
Miss-28(2)
NF- 27(3)- This includes traded dman
Billy Constansiou-15
Flint-24(4)
Erie-23(3)
Sud-22(4)
Kingston-19(4)
NB-19 (4)
Kit-17 (3)
Sag-15 (2)
Gue-14(3)
SSM-13(2)
Barrie-11(2)
Osh-11(2)
OwenSd-10(3)
Sarnia-8(2)
Ham-(5)
Ldn-(4)
Ottawa-10(1)
Peter-(1)
And Exhibit C-
I did a look at players not returning or expected to return next season and here are my findings.
Western Conference only

Windsor- L Kitkevicious, S.Allen
Flint- ,E.Vella, H. Nilsen
Ldn.- Formenton,Bouchard,Raaymakers, Lochead,Boquist, Timms,and 3 of Nelson,Coome,Golden,Tymkin,Cotter,
Tuch.
Gue-Ratcliffe,Schnarr,2 Euros,Hanley,Poirer,Commissio
Owen Sound- Hancock,Durzi,Bourque,Suzuki ,Sushko(Euro)
Kitchener- Hugg(Euro),Hall,Gentiles,Cameron,
Campbell all O/As,Richardson,plus 1 other o/a
Sarnia- Elliot,Sproviero,Ruzicka,Levienious,Egert,plus 1 of Hatcher Grima,Martin,Josling to be moved.
SSM- Frost,Vilalta, Sandbrook,Holliwell,Howdeshell,
and perhaps Barrett Hayton graduating early to Arizona.
Saginaw- Ivan Provotsev Albert Micnach,O'Grady ,
Erie- -Makismovich,Poddubny(Euro)

Lots of teams lose a lot of players
especially London, Guelph, SSM,Owen
Sound,Sarnia
Erie and Flint non factors for next year
London hit hard on D
Saginaw loses a goalie
Kitchener non factor next year
Owen Sound non factor next year.
I like Windsor next year because of the facts above if they are successful bringing in the likes of Tanner Kelly,Spencer Evans, Egor Afanaseyev who was acquired from Ottawa in the Dipietro all the more promising
Now I know you wont agree dont see my views changing either.

Reactions: OHLTG

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Rayzor
I feel Windsor will contend next year or more so the following year rather then in 21/22 because of the following reasons.
Exhibit A- As I pointed out earlier Spits 16 year old players have more points then any team in the OHL to this date and by quite a margin to boot.
Exhibit B- Just found out today that Spits dmen 17 and under, 3 of them,
Ladd,Staios,Henault combined lead the OHL in points,more then any teams 16 and 17 year old dmen.
In fact here are the point totals for all listed below with points,and number of dmen in brackets
Windsor-31(3)
Miss-28(2)
NF- 27(3)- This includes traded dman
Billy Constansiou-15
Flint-24(4)
Erie-23(3)
Sud-22(4)
Kingston-19(4)
NB-19 (4)
Kit-17 (3)
Sag-15 (2)
Gue-14(3)
SSM-13(2)
Barrie-11(2)
Osh-11(2)
OwenSd-10(3)
Sarnia-8(2)
Ham-(5)
Ldn-(4)
Ottawa-10(1)
Peter-(1)
And Exhibit C-
I did a look at players not returning or expected to return next season and here are my findings.
Western Conference only

Windsor- L Kitkevicious, S.Allen
Flint- ,E.Vella, H. Nilsen
Ldn.- Formenton,Bouchard,Raaymakers, Lochead,Boquist, Timms,and 3 of Nelson,Coome,Golden,Tymkin,Cotter,
Tuch.
Gue-Ratcliffe,Schnarr,2 Euros,Hanley,Poirer,Commissio
Owen Sound- Hancock,Durzi,Bourque,Suzuki ,Sushko(Euro)
Kitchener- Hugg(Euro),Hall,Gentiles,Cameron,
Campbell all O/As,Richardson,plus 1 other o/a
Sarnia- Elliot,Sproviero,Ruzicka,Levienious,Egert,plus 1 of Hatcher Grima,Martin,Josling to be moved.
SSM- Frost,Vilalta, Sandbrook,Holliwell,Howdeshell,
and perhaps Barrett Hayton graduating early to Arizona.
Saginaw- Ivan Provotsev Albert Micnach,O'Grady ,
Erie- -Makismovich,Poddubny(Euro)

Lots of teams lose a lot of players
especially London, Guelph, SSM,Owen
Sound,Sarnia
Erie and Flint non factors for next year
London hit hard on D
Saginaw loses a goalie
Kitchener non factor next year
Owen Sound non factor next year.
I like Windsor next year because of the facts above if they are successful bringing in the likes of Tanner Kelly,Spencer Evans, Egor Afanaseyev who was acquired from Ottawa in the Dipietro all the more promising
Now I know you wont agree dont see my views changing either.
I’m thinking maybe why our 16 year olds are putting up more points is because they are playing much more. Would they be putting up these points on a contending team?? Would they be playing as much or even be on #1 pp unit? Out of the teams dman you listed how many of them are getting regular shifts?
Good one on saginaw losing a goalie. I thought you’d need one before you can lose one.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
If what you say is true,then you have to admit the experience gained by the forwards and the D is invaluable and gives them a leg up on those who have not played much and if they did it was against other teams 4th liners,3rd at best.
I like Windsor s
youth at every position moving forward.
And the next 2 years will prove to be interesting.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
I don’t think anyone is unhappy with our young guys and believe most want them getting more ice time as year goes on. Most feel they deserve that. And yes the next few years will be interesting especially if they add some more good young talent next draft

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I don’t think anyone is unhappy with our young guys and believe most want them getting more ice time as year goes on. Most feel they deserve that. And yes the next few years will be interesting especially if they add some more good young talent next draft

As well as signing players from this past draft and Egor Afanaseyev acquired from Ottawa.
I am thinking players such as Tanner Kelly, Cade Lemmer,Spencer Evans,Christian Stevens,Johnny Ulicny and Cade Webber.

Reactions: OHLTG

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Based on my comments/thoughts above here would be my projected lineup for next season

Goal- Piironen, Incze
Defense-Evans,Ladd,Corcoran Staios,Henault, Webber
Forwards-Foudy,McDonald, Cuylle
Douglas, Afanaseyev, D'amico
Angle,Frasca,Purboo,Playfair,Kelly,
Lemmer
Extras
Goal-Shiller
Def-Robinson,Stevenson
Forwards
Ulicny,Stevens,Mckay
Also had 2 1st round picks Euro D and Forward in entry draft
Trade
Starikov-unless he has huge 2nd half
Boka-ditto
Macdougall and Morgan_pick up
Forward or Dman in exchange.
Incze would get moved if Piironen develops successfully to be #1 guy in goal would leave 2 oa spots plus Purboo.
Keep in mind this is my ideal lineup
Don't see getting both Evan's and Webber here on D,explains me having Stevenson,Starikov or Euro 1st rounder on the D.
Upfront would not surprise getting Afanaseyev and Kelly under contract.
Lemmer and Steven's tougher.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I can't get that psyched about the future because nothing is promised in the future. You play out for today and see where the chips fall. I am not putting my eggs in the basket of 3 16 year olds right now. Unless you're banking them on leading this group next year not because they're not talented but because the current 17,18,19, and OAs should be having a far larger impact on this team.

There's a reason Rychel thought this team would be better and it's not the fault of the rookies. D'Amico and Frasca have played well doesn't make up for other youngsters like MacDougall/Morgan etc.. If all these 16 year olds, 17 year olds are making strides there's a reason why they haven't performed better as a group.

That's up to Letowski and Rychel to find out because I am guessing the reason wasn't DiPietro. I am not saying I am buying or selling this team moving forward. I would prefer being more confident in this group moving forward if they can actually do something tangible the rest of the year. Instead of just saying well the young guys played well.

That's the thing though every team thinks all their players are going to improve but it doesn't always happen. For instance I still believe that this team doesn't have nearly enough picks to make big moves moving forward because the current players on the team you're either building around said players or those other guys aren't bringing a lot of value back.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Right now, four of the top six scorers on the team are 2000s or later, three of which are 2001 or 2002. If you include Frasca, who's having a surprising season, then that's five guys in the top 10 who are young and showing serious promise. Angle could be argued, too, before his injury. I'm not sold on MacDougall yet but giving him benefit of the doubt.

Yes, every team thinks that their players are going to improve. However, not every team has two Top-10 2002-born guys and not every team has a kid like D'Amico, who's shattering his stats from last season. Not every team has a Curtis Douglas, who could literally take over a game if he wanted to (and has on some nights).

The rest of this season is going to be an interesting one, depending on how the deadline shakes out, but I don't think many could logically argue that the future of this team isn't bright. When you have D'Amico, Cuylle, Foudy, Douglas, McDonald, Piiroinen, Staios, Ladd, etc. all for at least one more season, if not two, you're in pretty good shape.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
A bit different take....
While everything is all *hits and giggles at the moment, we haven't yet hit the Christmas break. The team is playing near .500 hockey
and that's mainly due to DiPietro. How will the youngsters fare now that we will begin to
get 'twacked' fairly often and our winning % drops into the bottom five. I'm going to reserve my enthusiasm until we see what kind of system the
'coaching staff' comes up with after the trading deadline...

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
NA Central Scouting‏ @MarkSeidel
FollowingFollowing @MarkSeidel
More
DT: Under the tree, Windsor gets Mr. Egor Afanasyev whom they acquired in the Dipietro deal with OTT & fans in Windsor should get excited. He’s a highly skilled kid that only adds to the young core of the Spits b/c Santa Seids can’t see Michigan State in Egor’s academic future.
4:19 PM - 10 Dec 2018

No reason to come this year given he'd have more flexibility to play in AHL sooner drafted out of USHL. Get drafted and see what his team wants - CHL or NCAA with the possibility he could play one year in CHL and then play AHL.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
NA Central Scouting‏ @MarkSeidel
FollowingFollowing @MarkSeidel
More
DT: Under the tree, Windsor gets Mr. Egor Afanasyev whom they acquired in the Dipietro deal with OTT & fans in Windsor should get excited. He’s a highly skilled kid that only adds to the young core of the Spits b/c Santa Seids can’t see Michigan State in Egor’s academic future.
4:19 PM - 10 Dec 2018
Not sure what I should read into this post? He is coming? He is likely to come? Is it just wishful thinking he will come?

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
lol... he is stating a bunch of things he would want to do for teams if he were Santa Claus. He listed a "wish list" for most teams in the OHL.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Legend I know you're throwing names out there like Kelly/Webber/Evans/Egor

Kelly-MSU
Egor-MSU
Webber-BU
Evans-Brown

You said earlier that Medina wanted a large education package and that's a guy who didn't have a commitment to a school. You think the above 4 are just going to actually ask for a lesser value education package when they have an existing commitment to a school? Someone would have to be off their proverbial rocker to turn down Brown for a CHL education package.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Legend I know you're throwing names out there like Kelly/Webber/Evans/Egor

Kelly-MSU
Egor-MSU
Webber-BU
Evans-Brown

You said earlier that Medina wanted a large education package and that's a guy who didn't have a commitment to a school. You think the above 4 are just going to actually ask for a lesser value education package when they have an existing commitment to a school? Someone would have to be off their proverbial rocker to turn down Brown for a CHL education package.

Medina wasn't going to start here, or even play here this season - tough to give a top level education package to that player. It was the right decision for both player and organization, respectively. Also might not be seen as worth the gold package whereas these others could be. It's not an apples to apples comparison - each situation is going to be different. Also will depend on if they sign pro deals (or likelihood of signing them down the line) which makes the packages go away. Egor is seen as a second rounder - almost surely would sign a pro-contract unless has a career ending injury.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The more I think about this ( sorry bored today) the more I agree with what some other posters have suggested. I can see the Spits waiting on the OA deadline and basically picking up a 3rd OA for free. Have the cards but not many picks so a waved OA especially a D would help settle the youngins. And as others have suggested maybe an OA gets throw in to make a deal happen. Can't see Warren not taking advantage of the open OA spot and the cards to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad