Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
London will have 3 when Brock adds Gutzov (as he said he would) and D'Amico will then fall outside 30. Just sayin'...
Regardless, Windsor appears to have drafted well.

I agree Windsor has drafted well for this NHL draft year Nelli. Just no top 15 players on the list. And you need that Alist talent to win in the OHL.
The #s Brock posted could change for every team as the year progresses, obviously, and it will be fun to watch play out.
The key is to have kids on these type lists year in and year out and supplement that high end talent with quality depth.

HL I never heard back about my charitable friendly you seemed confident to take? Maybe Brocks list will bolster your willingness to address it. No digs, just curious as you never responded here or in PM.

Did Brock mention the Spits G might make it onto the list? ( curious, as i never read the article) If he did, its a big early endorsement and bodes well for Spits.

Genuinely glad Morgan made it onto the list.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Brock Ottens
Preseason Top 30 for the 2019 NHL Draft

17. Grayson Ladd - Defense - Windsor Spitfires
20. Lev Starikov - Defense - Windsor Spitfires
22. Cody Morgan - Forward - Windsor Spitfires
24. Nathan Staios - Defense - Windsor Spitfires
30. Daniel D'Amico - Forward - Windsor Spitfires

What will be interesting is those 5 moving forward is that 60% of that list is closer to being out of the top 30 than being in the top 10 and one of those players was their 1st rounder back in 2017. It's the old debate quality vs quantity. If the Spits are to be better moving forward there needs to be much more quality.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
What will be interesting is those 5 moving forward is that 60% of that list is closer to being out of the top 30 than being in the top 10 and one of those players was their 1st rounder back in 2017. It's the old debate quality vs quantity. If the Spits are to be better moving forward there needs to be much more quality.

Not surprised you would find something negative in a very positive story.
But then negative people think that way or in your case you are like the guy who says yeah but the Titanic only hit part of the iceberg.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Not surprised you would find something negative in a very positive story.
But then negative people think that way or in your case you are like the guy who says yeah but the Titanic only hit part of the iceberg.

That's not being negative. What I said is reality. You do in idealism others deal in reality and you're the one that would just say the Titanic would be taking on just a bit of water.

Also it's not being negative to believe that the top 10 most likely 5 or 6 of those guys aren't moving out of the top 10 so there isn't a lot of room to make that move into the top 10. Those players might jockey from 1st to 3rd or from 7th to 5th but take a look at that list now and in June I bet you the top 10 will be pretty similar.

And once again it's not being negative to say that. For instance let's just say that list stays static probably won't but since you said I am being negative this is the example that has to be used. The highest ranked Spitfire on that list is 17th, the 17th OHL player in the 2018 draft went 88th in the NHL draft. If the highest selection for a Spitfire was 88th in 2019 NHL draft that shouldn't necessarily be used as validation for what the organization is doing. I already know you would though so that's where the discussion begins and ends. You're the water carrier for the Spits we all know that, cheers to you.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Out of curiosity, if Windsor had 1-2 players in the top 30, what would reaction have been? It would have been nice to have 5 players in the top 5 or 7 in the top 10, but our reality of 5 in the top 30 is likely not something many other teams could do. Now, we watch them pan out; some do better, some do worse. I'd rather be in this position, though, than "well, at least we got an honourable mention."

Reactions: hockeylegend11

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
That's not being negative. What I said is reality. You do in idealism others deal in reality and you're the one that would just say the Titanic would be taking on just a bit of water.

Also it's not being negative to believe that the top 10 most likely 5 or 6 of those guys aren't moving out of the top 10 so there isn't a lot of room to make that move into the top 10. Those players might jockey from 1st to 3rd or from 7th to 5th but take a look at that list now and in June I bet you the top 10 will be pretty similar.

And once again it's not being negative to say that. For instance let's just say that list stays static probably won't but since you said I am being negative this is the example that has to be used. The highest ranked Spitfire on that list is 17th, the 17th OHL player in the 2018 draft went 88th in the NHL draft. If the highest selection for a Spitfire was 88th in 2019 NHL draft that shouldn't necessarily be used as validation for what the organization is doing. I already know you would though so that's where the discussion begins and ends. You're the water carrier for the Spits we all know that, cheers to you.
The issue with having the top prospects in the draft is they may not be here for the next 2 years. Among those players were Hall, Fowler and Sergachev. If Vilardi hadn't been hurt it might have been him also.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The issue with having the top prospects in the draft is they may not be here for the next 2 years. Among those players were Hall, Fowler and Sergachev. If Vilardi hadn't been hurt it might have been him also.

That's actually a good problem to have because that would be the definition of validation of what your organization is doing. We are also talking in your example of a #1 overall pick and a lot of those guys rarely return. Fowler was drafted as a late birthdate so he had more game experience under his belt with USDP and his 1 year in Windsor. It sucks to lose guys early but I wouldn't lament that because those players their dream is to be in the NHL and make a living that way. In other words it's ok for people to admit they're a selfish fan if they want every player to play out his time in the OHL. I just can't understand why you wouldn't be happy that the player gets to live out what he wants to do.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Out of curiosity, if Windsor had 1-2 players in the top 30, what would reaction have been? It would have been nice to have 5 players in the top 5 or 7 in the top 10, but our reality of 5 in the top 30 is likely not something many other teams could do. Now, we watch them pan out; some do better, some do worse. I'd rather be in this position, though, than "well, at least we got an honourable mention."

My reaction would be they need better players and more talented players. More specifically I would trade 3 of those players for a sure fire home run 1st round NHL pick in a heartbeat. It all depends how you frame it they have 5 in the top 30 but they also have 4 ranked 20-30. Yes you and Legend will hate to hear that but that's the truth 5 in the top 30, 4 of them in the 20-30 range.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
Or we could just be happy to see 5 Spitfire's players in the top 30 and leave it at that, not over analyze it to death. considering the spit's have not even hit the ice yet this season. Rayzor you believe your opinion's are not negative and in fact are reality, that's fair. You are entitled to your opinion but when you publically state your opinion on a social media platform such as this forum a "Spitfires Fan Thread" expect for people to respond to it as a negative comment. That my friend is REALITY. Not one person on this thread has a crystal ball and can predict what will happen this season. When something positive is published about the team you cheer for as a FAN finding the "Ya But... Ya But etc" responses are not always going to be welcome on a FAN thread, especially when 80 % of your post's are "Ya But....See what I am getting at? If you have been called out on this countless times.....the only reason to continue with these comments is trolling....that my friend is REALITY!! Not everything posted on here needs to be debated, unless you are full filling some sort of personal need to vent / stir the pot.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
5 in the top 30 is better than none! Would you rather have one in the top ten or 5 in the top 30?? I know what I'd rather have!! There's a difference between claiming to be a realist and just finding something to ***** about constantly. Me I'm ok with 5 in the top 30. If this was a team with only 1 or 2 in there then there's reason to be disappointed.

Ok then you should have been disappointed with the fact they only had 2 draft picks in 2018 and one of them only played 30+ games with the Spits. It's not finding something to complain about it's reality.

In your either or scenario 1 in the top 10 or one in the top 5 or the top prospect. Who says no and who says yes when an offer of Morgan/Staois/D'Amico for Suzuki or Kaliev?

Reactions: aresknights

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
My reaction would be they need better players and more talented players. More specifically I would trade 3 of those players for a sure fire home run 1st round NHL pick in a heartbeat. It all depends how you frame it they have 5 in the top 30 but they also have 4 ranked 20-30. Yes you and Legend will hate to hear that but that's the truth 5 in the top 30, 4 of them in the 20-30 range.
What will that sure fire 1st rounder do for you??? Trading 3 of those guys for it would set the team back. You would be getting rid of the depth the team has. A star can only do so much on their own. Be awesome watching our star score 50 goals and then the next guy has 20 and team sits at .500

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Would we rather have five guys in the top 30 (incl four in 20-30 range), or one guy in the top 5, and he leaves after this season? We've complained about the poor drafting. That's been changed. We've complained about lack of assets. That's been changed. Reality is that we've got five (potentially six, if you include Piiroinen) guys who are highly thought of. That doesn't happen with many teams, let alone most teams. Some might fizzle out. Others could flourish. We don't know. I'd rather be in this position, though, than "well, we have a guy at 30. That's a start, right?" As for trading three for one - I don't do it right now. We can't complain about lack of depth/assets then deal three prospects for a guy that could be gone next season. That doesn't help and, in fact, it could create even more frustration around here. We have the assets. We have better depth. Now, let's go out there and develop these guys so we can make some noise this year and contend down the road.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
Or we could just be happy to see 5 Spitfire's players in the top 30 and leave it at that, not over analyze it to death. considering the spit's have not even hit the ice yet this season. Rayzor you believe your opinion's are not negative and in fact are reality, that's fair. You are entitled to your opinion but when you publically state your opinion on a social media platform such as this forum a "Spitfires Fan Thread" expect for people to respond to it as a negative comment. That my friend is REALITY. Not one person on this thread has a crystal ball and can predict what will happen this season. When something positive is published about the team you cheer for as a FAN finding the "Ya But... Ya But etc" responses are not always going to be welcome on a FAN thread, especially when 80 % of your post's are "Ya But....See what I am getting at? If you have been called out on this countless times.....the only reason to continue with these comments is trolling....that my friend is REALITY!! Not everything posted on here needs to be debated, unless you are full filling some sort of personal need to vent / stir the pot.

At this point I don't even know why the regular members on this board continue to fuel this ridiculousness. We've all seen the act too many times to count. The cachet of being the voice of balance and critical thinker has gone so far off the rails it's lost it's relevance. Opposing fan bases eat it up and who can fault them there. But for us that enjoy this team, and I do understand the frustration some of these posts create, let it go. It stops quality conversations from happening. It also undermines others who have valid and well placed concerns. No one person should control and disrupt a board like this. And it's those responding that are enabling it to continue. Even when those responses have the best intentions. I'm guilty of this myself and at times not with the best intentions, but I'm going to try to do my part in bringing common sense and a positive outlook to this board. Because it's degraded into a complete sh*t show.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Let's just hope that the players on the roster this year can shoot n score this year. Sitting back n relying on dipietro gets tiresome.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Let's just hope that the players on the roster this year can shoot n score this year. Sitting back n relying on dipietro gets tiresome.

One of the issues, at least late in the season and in the playoffs, was a much younger roster who wasn't used to being relied upon. When you've got Vilardi (to an extent), Brown, Luchuk, Day, and McEneny, you can get the puck to them and they work their magic. The younger guys (D'Amico, Staios, MacDougall, etc) didn't have as much responsiblity and, post deadline, were put into a situation they may not be used to. Now, they've got a half season, plus off-season training/skating, under their belt, so there's no reason they can't take that next step.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I never said I don't believe my opinions are negative. That's up to the reader in how they perceive it. If they choose to view that way that's their prerogative. Just as in politics the far left isn't agreeing with the far right.

Here's the rub being a fan is short for "fanatic." It's often fanatics can lose their senses and perspective on things because they would never want to view the other side for possibly be considered negative. I find interesting that people go out of their way to say "so and so your post is negative" nobody would say "your post is overly positive." So why is it people go out of their way to point out a negative post but won't go the other way? We already know the answer to that one it's a rhetorical question.

Why do people feel the need to defend an organization that is trying to make a profit and get a piece of the pie? That's one thing I have never understood. The organization takes money from people, fans have an opinion whether it's positive or negative because there is an investment being made in the form of effort/time/money.

Actually no I don't get what you're saying because this is gone in for a long time and I have made it abundantly clear I don't care if you agree with my opinion. The day I care what a nameless/faceless person feels about my opinion is the day to close the laptop. I'm not here for you to agree with me or youngblood or cfaub or legend or punch or ohltg. Just like you had an opinion and quite strong one that I was reporting posts but that didn't happen. In other words that was your opinion and flat out wrong and built off of a built in biased in either what you thought or wanted to belief but you were just wrong. So forgive me if I am going to take tips from someone who is trying to "inform me" when that same person doesn't practice what they preach on the other end. I hope you get what I'm saying.

I'm not here to make friends the whole idea of making friends here to people I won't meet is foreign to me. I have a loving wife/a family that loves me/friends who I enjoy my time. Those are the people that I would consider their opinion on and am actually interested in hearing what they have to say. That's not say I don't care about the opinion people have here but I take it with a grain of salt.

At the end of the day there are some who have absolute 100% faith in Rychel/Letowski and will never waver in that. Others on the other hand prefer to take it on a year by year basis. Imagine doing the mental gymnastics to tout 3 Memorial Cups in 11 seasons but gloss over and not one thing mentioned in how the prior years went.

One of my favorite movies and this quote is very apt for the back slapping that goes on here. Let's not start ____ ____ _____ _____ _____ yet.

Reactions: Duke Guy

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
What will that sure fire 1st rounder do for you??? Trading 3 of those guys for it would set the team back. You would be getting rid of the depth the team has. A star can only do so much on their own. Be awesome watching our star score 50 goals and then the next guy has 20 and team sits at .500

The last OHL team that won an OHL championship without an NHL 1st round pick currently on their roster or selected that year in the 1st round was??? I can tell you for certain you would have to look way back on that one. A star can only do so much on his own but you need top tier/star talent to win championships. If I had to guess the Spits don't win back to back titles without Hall/Ellis/Fowler. How do you know that if a team had a 50 goal scorer the next guy would have 20? Or are you just throwing that out as an example?

Reactions: aresknights

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
....so, training camp starts on Tuesday... :yo:

Looking forward to seeing if collectively they bought in and went beyond what was expected of them over the summer. It's so important with a young group for team success in the next few years and also their individual goals of being drafted etc... Could be a let down if they did the status quo or less, because they don't have the natural talents to get to the next level team wise or individually. This question will be answered soon enough.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'll be very curious as to who the free agents are, too. Rychel seems to find at least one every season that exceeds expectations. Plus, I'm hoping this "trade" news that we heard about earlier is solved before camp.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Some posts have been deleted because they contain inappropriate remarks (personal insults/attacks). I understand that there are passionate fans in Windsor, and I respect that, but refrain from the personal attacks. Cut the crap or warnings/thread bans could be in order.
Think before you post.

-mod

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I think this is the quiestest we've seen the Spits in August in some time...

(yeah, I'm trying to get back on the hockey path, though I don't disagree with some stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad