Windsor Spitfires 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
The financial guarantees demanded by the league when awarding the hosting duties has pretty much excluded those smaller venues from even making a presentation toward hosting. That severely limits the field from which to choose, and basically denies those small market franchises any hope of participation. So, what happens when those larger market teams decide that they won't pony up those huge guarantees that the league has been accustomed to getting ? The Windsor situation might be a harbinger of things to come, and Mr. Branch's cash cows will begin to dry up.

As a Londoner, the Memorial Cup was great, first time around, but when it returned ( too soon IMHO ) the experience wasn't anywhere near what that first one delivered. That's the risk of limiting the hosting duties to those bigger venues. Given a fair shake, I've absolutely no doubt that places like Barrie, Kingston, Sarnia, Sault St. Marie, etc would wholeheartedly embrace the Tournament, because for them, it would be HUGE ! It's the showcase for Major Junior hockey, but for many of the long time franchises, Mr. Branch has appropriated the event from their grasp. I suspect that if it came down to getting more money if TV sponsorship requested that the military involvement be " toned back ", he'd ditch that in a heartbeat. After all, the "grassroots fans" seemingly are of little significance, when that almighty bottom line is considered.

I can emphathize with those disgruntled and disinterested Windsor fans.

Well put. I especially agree with the bolded part. I wouldn't put anything past branch when it comes to the almighty dollar. I have no doubt Mastercard puts a substantial amount of money into the event but the name Mastercard Memorial Cup really rubs me. It should just be Memorial Cup - period. If they want to say "sponsored by Mastercard" , that's fine.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Ticket Sales actually sound fairly decent and I agree either a bunch from Owen Sound or a couple from Erie or Missiassauga will snap up the bulk of what it is left depending on who gets thru. Like I say hopefully the Teams get a Tournament they deserve and that it turns out well regardless of what side of the fence you are on. Curious are the Spits Games all sold out?
I don't believe any game is sold at this point but they have not offered up any for the cup final yet.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
The financial guarantees demanded by the league when awarding the hosting duties has pretty much excluded those smaller venues from even making a presentation toward hosting. That severely limits the field from which to choose, and basically denies those small market franchises any hope of participation. So, what happens when those larger market teams decide that they won't pony up those huge guarantees that the league has been accustomed to getting ? The Windsor situation might be a harbinger of things to come, and Mr. Branch's cash cows will begin to dry up.

As a Londoner, the Memorial Cup was great, first time around, but when it returned ( too soon IMHO ) the experience wasn't anywhere near what that first one delivered. That's the risk of limiting the hosting duties to those bigger venues. Given a fair shake, I've absolutely no doubt that places like Barrie, Kingston, Sarnia, Sault St. Marie, etc would wholeheartedly embrace the Tournament, because for them, it would be HUGE ! It's the showcase for Major Junior hockey, but for many of the long time franchises, Mr. Branch has appropriated the event from their grasp. I suspect that if it came down to getting more money if TV sponsorship requested that the military involvement be " toned back ", he'd ditch that in a heartbeat. After all, the "grassroots fans" seemingly are of little significance, when that almighty bottom line is considered.

I can emphathize with those disgruntled and disinterested Windsor fans.

You absolutely nailed it. But so much of how we view the Memorial Cup has to ride on what we think of the OHL's finances. If the league is in the kind of dire straits that Branch has been decrying during the litigation, his seemingly desperate pursuit of the almighty dollar might not be unreasonable. That's problematic, because the cities you mentioned absolutely deserve the opportunity to host. I just worry that it's not realistic.

I don't have time to pull up the figures right now, but the teams pulled in some crazy money from the most recent Cup in London per their financial disclosures for the litigation.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
No idea where this buzz is coming from you are talking.

People downtown. I've had numerous people come up to me and talk Spits and Memorial Cup.

They are looking forward to their summer plans and spending time elsewhere than spending it in an arena on a nice day watching hockey.

Is that why there were thousands on hand for the playoffs in May 2010? Nice weather didn't stop them then.

Just to be clear there are lots of people exited about the Memorial cup in Windsor - even with the team out in the first round the core hockey fans are still excited - just a tough sell to the casual fans - I personally have friends/family members coming in from northern Alberta for the week - and not from a CHL city as well as friends of my daughter are coming in from Seattle for the week - it is a big deal to hockey fans - yes it would help if the Spits had made it a couple of more rounds - if the price was family friendly - but the closer we get tickets will sell - I would think any of the remaining fan bases -OS, Erie, Missy will have fans buy late if their team gets in - not that far to drive from any of those locations. Ask OS fans how many came to the Missy Memorial cup. Most games are 3/4 sold around 5000 from what I hear so it won't to hard to move the rest of the seats - and if it doesn't sell out - prices may drop at the door. I won't be losing any sleep over attendance.

Well put. You're going to get fans from around the CHL; it's like that every season. Not everyone is going to buy right now. If there aren't 6,000 for games, I'll be shocked.

rgrsboom

Dec 6, 2014
Sec 7 Row K
You absolutely nailed it. But so much of how we view the Memorial Cup has to ride on what we think of the OHL's finances. If the league is in the kind of dire straits that Branch has been decrying during the litigation, his seemingly desperate pursuit of the almighty dollar might not be unreasonable. That's problematic, because the cities you mentioned absolutely deserve the opportunity to host. I just worry that it's not realistic.

I don't have time to pull up the figures right now, but the teams pulled in some crazy money from the most recent Cup in London per their financial disclosures for the litigation.

The part I fail to understand is that it appears the OHL seems to be the league on a short circuit of big market centres to host. If Chicoutimi and Brandon and Rimouski can host, then why not North Bay, Owen Sound or Sarnia. Many years ago, while living in the Soo, I was a volunteer at the Brier. The players all were in awe of being the 'big show' in town, something they don't see at a larger centre.
I enjoyed hosting the Mem Cup here in '08, but it is a big committment from the fan base from both a volunteer hour basis and the financial commitment needed to support this. I hope the powers that be recognize this the next time our turn in the rotation comes up and gives a new town the chance to host.

crowncarrier

Apr 10, 2015
Wife looked into tickets today and the game of the Q vs the W was around $20+ less then the OHL vs Host team game. I have never seen round robin games that had a difference in price. And yes these were the same seats. I am hoping shes wrong or you can shed some light on the situation.

EDIT: Just saw this in the article from the posters link.

Tickets for games featuring the host Windsor Spitfires are available at a cost of $90+HST while games featuring two of the other three participating teams are priced at $75+HST.

Has this happened before? I have only been to Memorial cup games in London and Kitchener and to the best of my knowledge all round robin games were the same price.

Nice talking to you all..............:handclap::handclap::handclap:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
4th highest average attendance
In the league 4992, don't see a problem with that,why is everything so negative?

So attendance went up slightly.
Not a lot for what Spitfires were banking on I am sure.
Other than this year attendance was going down year by year by a few hundred.
Next year I am going to give a wild guess and attendance will go down quite a bit
People have lots of other things to do with their hard earned money.
Plus tix prices went up next year according to the prices in the mail.
Not sure how Spitfires can feel good about raising prices but good luck to them.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Attendance dropped from 5,800 just after the run to 5,000ish the last three years. Loyalty has gone out the window. That's fine. If people would rather watch on TV, that's their issue. Makes it easier to get out of the parking lot post-game. Just don't complain when there isn't a buzz in this city.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Attendance dropped from 5,800 just after the run to 5,000ish the last three years. Loyalty has gone out the window. That's fine. If people would rather watch on TV, that's their issue. Makes it easier to get out of the parking lot post-game. Just don't complain when there isn't a buzz in this city.

Getting out of the parking lot has always been an issue.
Terrible design.
I wont complain as there is no buzz.
Only holding around 5000 as u say because they give away lots of free tix. Id say the attendance last year was low 4000 if u take away the free tix they give away or the 2 for 1 tix or whatever gimmick they do during the season to try to get buts in the seats that most time have failed.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Getting out of the lot is easy now with the additional entrance.

Only holding around 5000 as u say because they give away lots of free tix. Id say the attendance last year was low 4000 if u take away the free tix they give away or the 2 for 1 tix or whatever gimmick they do during the season to try to get buts in the seats that most time have failed.

Ticket gimmicks and giveaways are nothing new in sports; comps, contests, prizes, etc. They're all common.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Ticket gimmicks and giveaways are nothing new in sports; comps, contests, prizes, etc. They're all common.

Yet I still hear plenty of people complain that it is a big problem every game.

There is a decline of people wanting to go to games in Windsor.
Buzz is gone.
Will it come back, not sure but it will be awhile before it does.

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario

ya I agree, have had no problems exiting games, I stay right till the end of all games and park in the main lot. It seems like people just like to complain just for the sake of complaining

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
My somewhat uneducated view of Windsor has evolved, even since they were eliminated. When healthy, as they were in the playoffs, they were one of four teams that had a legitimate shot at an always tough west conference. They lost a very competitive series in 7 games to London who in turn lost in OT game 7 to Erie. Who wins the west between Erie and Owen Sound is anyone's guess. Not much separating those 4 teams imo.

I don't think you can write off the entire season as a disaster from a competitive stand point. Especially when you consider how handicapped Windsor was with limited assets to trade at the deadline. That said it's going to be extremely difficult to be competitive in the Memorial Cup after such a long layoff.

Good post though I disagree with the bolded.

Windsor had limited assets at the deadline for sure but WR was very successful improving his team up to and at deadline.

From the off season on, he brought in Nattinen, Addison, Day, Knott, Bracco, Robertson, and Laishram. The last three on deadline day. There is a ton of quality there. Part of the reason his assets were limited at the deadline was because of the moves he made pre-deadline.

No, due to sanctions, he didn't have that 2016 1st rounder to send to Kitchener as fair return in the Bracco deal (ie. McShane to Osh). However, that didn't matter because circumstances allowed him to get the Bracco deal done anyway as if he did have that 16 year old 1st rounder, so they weren't handicapped there.

And to top it all off, WR was able to get these deals done without giving up anything of any consequence off his roster. Truth be told, what he sent to Kitchener in the Bracco deal can be looked at as mere afterthoughts as far as their value to this year's Spits team on their depth chart. Today, had both Burns and Carter been still Spits, I doubt Burns would crack a healthy line up and Carter would be a 4th line player - maybe a shot at the 3rd line.

Last edited:

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
ya I agree, have had no problems exiting games, I stay right till the end of all games and park in the main lot. It seems like people just like to complain just for the sake of complaining

Totally agree!! I have never had an issue with parking at the WFCU. Never had a problem exiting after the games ethier. As for people complaining for the sake of complaing....I agree with that also. A lot of Spitfire fans have this "All or nothing" mentality. As a fan of junior hockey you will be frustrated many..many timesbut you gotta weigh the good against the bad. People ****** about the parking, the consession prices, ticket prices, etc etc. Try being a fan in North Bay, Sudbury, Hamilton!! for example. You Spitfires fans think you have it rough!! Until you have actually seen what it is like on the other side seriously ****!! Don't like the parking, ticket prices, food prices or the team you supposedly root for .....here's the solution....Stop going!!:shakehead

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
4th highest average attendance
In the league 4992, don't see a problem with that,why is everything so negative?

% of capacity is a greater indicator of fan interest as opposed to average attendance per game. To put it in perspective the Knights could have 7000 per game they would still on average have the most fans per game but would be falling short of % capacity compared to other teams.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Totally agree!! I have never had an issue with parking at the WFCU. Never had a problem exiting after the games ethier. As for people complaining for the sake of complaing....I agree with that also. A lot of Spitfire fans have this "All or nothing" mentality. As a fan of junior hockey you will be frustrated many..many timesbut you gotta weigh the good against the bad. People ****** about the parking, the consession prices, ticket prices, etc etc. Try being a fan in North Bay, Sudbury, Hamilton!! for example. You Spitfires fans think you have it rough!! Until you have actually seen what it is like on the other side seriously ****!! Don't like the parking, ticket prices, food prices or the team you supposedly root for .....here's the solution....Stop going!!:shakehead

Just an update for you..........Fan's already have,,, :laugh::sarcasm:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I'm really interested in your thoughts here--you think the Spits should have been given a break on the sanctions because they agreed to host the Cup?

I've never understood this way of thinking you've asked about.
Lessen or remove the penalty for getting caught and outted for cheating, cause we bid for the Memorial Cup.....
You make your bed, lay in it.

Last edited:

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Lessen or remove the penalty for getting caught and outted for cheating, cause we bid for the Memorial Cup.....

This post is a real joke coming from a London fan......:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tHE POT CALLING THE KETTLE BLACK.........................

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I think people have taken the last part to heart. The question is what do you do to bring fans back? Concessions need to be better imo, the parking situation was an issue from day 1 just because they fall short of capacity doesn't mean there isn't a parking issue. It's not an all or nothing mentality imo for example when the Spits were owned by Riolo and they brought in Webster/Kelly that 4 year period for the organization was good hockey, good players, high draft picks, some playoff success with the high point of a conference finals. Those 4 years have been a lot better than anything we have seen the past 6 seasons. I think people need to stop looking at it as strictly junior hockey they need to look at it from the entertainment perspective. There are a lot of other options out there that keep people entertained and give you the same social aspect. It's hard to rationalize spending $500+ a year close to $600 now on season tickets, $600+ for a Memorial Cup and footing the bill for another season tickets in 2018 when that team failed to win a playoff series for the sixth straight season. People look at it as an expenditure eventually and quite frankly it's a hard sell right now. Mediocrity will absolutely kill a fan base and any interest. After that it's a show me game.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I look at it this way and we don't need to go in-depth. The league dinged the Spits there was very little explanation of what happened zero transparency. The Spits were the only team that bid for the Memorial Cup you can take it or leave it but my source is pretty much a lock. Reinstating the 1st round pick would have given the Spits another asset to move to make them a better team therefore look like a better team in the Memorial Cup. At the end of the day a poor Spitfire team in the Memorial Cup makes the OHL look just as bad as Windsor.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011

The post of the YEAR for the 16/17 season.:yo::handclap::laugh::laugh:;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland