Post-Game Talk: Win, baby!!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
hehe
kessel has become the playmaker and JVR the finisher

hey phil good things happen when you go to the net!
1000 shots from the perimeter gets you nowhere dude :snide:

One thing I have noticed about Kessel's shot this year, he doesn't have the accuracy and release as usual. It's almost telegraphed and goalies are seeing it off the blade.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
As it stands, I'd bet JvR would be happier with Kessel scoring then he getting a hat trick.

As player you need to pass it to guy in front of the empty net if he has chance at HT. Then it might switch attention of other teams to JVR and leave you some more room to score your own goal next game.
But, yeah, not a big deal at the end.

SteveV*

Two wins for Scrivens this year that he looked like he wasn't NHL caliber. We need a veteran backup, this guy is swimming constantly, the rebound control is unbelievably bad. Take the two points and run!

thatshype

Jul 3, 2010
Very impressed with how Kadri and Frats play together. That opportunity in the 3rd when Kadri found Frattin in the slot was incredible. The two play great together, and yea it bodes well moving forward.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Scrivens is way too shaky to be an NHL level goaltender. Its going to bite the buds in the butt more often than not throughout the year. The bounces just happened to go his way today.

I fear the day Reimer gets knocked in the bucket again and goes down with another concussion. Even though its not their worst problem (top line centre and much less Phaneuf would be higher on the priority list), its a concern. Scrivens gives up too many weak rebounds, gets caught out of position, and loses the puck far too often. He seems like someone with low confidence in his interviews. He was forced into the role, I don't think Leaf management even believes in him as an NHL level tender.

On that note, it makes you wonder why they can't at the very least go out and get a dependable veteran backup guy as insurance. I guess in the end it would be a blessing in disguise if they did have to rely on him in case of a long term Reimer injury, so that they truly tank and we can get a top three pick. Or at least one can hope.

Tank Leafs Tank.

Winreims

Dec 31, 2011
I don't worry about Scrivens being shaky... he's never going to be the starter for this team anyways. Reimer is clearly better, Scrivens did what he has to do - be a capable backup when needed.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I don't worry about Scrivens being shaky... he's never going to be the starter for this team anyways. Reimer is clearly better, Scrivens did what he has to do - be a capable backup when needed.

Yep, get in, give the team a chance to win, and get the hell out.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
after the first 10 games I'm pretty happy with the result. We've played .500 hockey while playing players like Kostka, Fraser, Kadri, Frattin, Komarov and Scrivens... young players who are being given a chance at the NHL for the first time in their careers. Lupul, Mac, Gunnar, and Gardiner have all been injured throughout this time too.

Kessel hasn't scored but he looks more complete of a player now than he did last year. All the players seem to be on the same page and we are finally seeing this team play like a team.

I honestly think that we are 1 shutdown defenceman from being a team good enough to make the playoffs. I started off the year thinking that we'd get a top 10 draft pick, and I still think that's possible depending on how close the playoff race is this year (last year 10th in the East was good enough for the 10th pick).

I think we are at the end of the road with Bozak. He's an alright player, but not first line material.

This is what the lineups should be, based on the performance of these players in the first 10 games.

Frattin - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kulemin
Mac - Bozak - Komarov
Orr - McClement - Brown/Steckel

When healthy

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Frattin
Komarov - Bozak - Kulemin
Orr - McClement - Brown

Phaneuf - Gunnar
Franson - Gardiner
Liles - Kostka/Komi/Holzer

Trade Mac for a defensive defenceman. Try to add more toughness to the third line center position to have a legit shutdown line.

why do people feel compelled to take three scoring lines and turn them into two? like on ethier of those bottom 6's whose gonna score? you'll be lucky if they get 1 goal every 5 games imo.

kawi

Nov 2, 2009
mac played bad. bozak is not skilled enough to play with kessel.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I dont like the Komarov to the 4th line demotion. I dont like Orr playing as much as he does. Orr and Steckel need to be benched. Why not bring up Jerry D'Amigo ? I want to give this kid a chance. Develop his PK and he has excellent feet.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Scrivens is always shakey IMO.

I think we gotta give the guy a break. He's an elite level AHL goaltender, and is still relatively young. He battles really hard and that is a good sign. We didn't see his best tn... and yet he fought the puck all night and made some good saves.

He's got a good chance to be a solid backup imo.

He's looked okay in 3 games so far and bad in one. Keep in mind that he's used to playing 3-4 games in a week over the last couple years as an AHL starter. Secondly he hadn't played in two weeks until tonight.

I hope we see Scrivens mature and develop just as much as Reimer. He'll never be a starter, but he has a good work ethic and could be good to push Reimer and also come up with some good games for us.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
The way Ovie has been playing of late, a bunch beer league players could shut down that line on Washington. Grabo's line couldn't shut down a Staal if they tried to. 5 points in 10 games, is unacceptable for the highest paid fwd on the team. I thought he looked asleep again tonight. Washington is an awful team, this game was pretty bad compared to the Philly/TB game.
lol. you're nothing if not persistent. do you ever get tired of saying the same old crap over and over and over

Winreims

Dec 31, 2011
How did Phaneuf play tonight? Missed the game want some news on if he made boneheaded plays any time tonight?

He was alright, I guess. Still missing his offence on the PP and I thought he was slow at getting pucks out of our zone at key times tonight (a few other players were like that as well)

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Scrivens played a solid game I'm becoming more and more confident in this tandem. If we can keep getting average to slightly above average goaltending we're going to be solid. The thursday game is a must win... but I guess Winnipeg would be saying the same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad