Post-Game Talk: Win, baby!!

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
For all the flack Grabo's been getting lately, he was pretty good in the last few minutes at keeping the puck out of our zone.

The Grabo line is leaned on heavily to protect the lead late in the third, and they get matched up against top forward lines whenever possible.

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
So he looks like an NHL player? I'm hoping for 25 points this year in 48 games

It's definitely possible and most likely probable.

Kadri has not only shown he is of NHL caliper but that should be centering our top line and Bozak needs to either get traded or play on the 3rd line.

mikebel111*

So he looks like an NHL player? I'm hoping for 25 points this year in 48 games

I think 25 will happen, maybe more
There has been 2 games where he didn't create much, but that is not to say he was terrible, in those games he was better defensively than offensively, been great soo far, faceoffs need improvement, but that will come in time

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
after the first 10 games I'm pretty happy with the result. We've played .500 hockey while playing players like Kostka, Fraser, Kadri, Frattin, Komarov and Scrivens... young players who are being given a chance at the NHL for the first time in their careers. Lupul, Mac, Gunnar, and Gardiner have all been injured throughout this time too.

Kessel hasn't scored but he looks more complete of a player now than he did last year. All the players seem to be on the same page and we are finally seeing this team play like a team.

I honestly think that we are 1 shutdown defenceman from being a team good enough to make the playoffs. I started off the year thinking that we'd get a top 10 draft pick, and I still think that's possible depending on how close the playoff race is this year (last year 10th in the East was good enough for the 10th pick).

I think we are at the end of the road with Bozak. He's an alright player, but not first line material.

This is what the lineups should be, based on the performance of these players in the first 10 games.

Frattin - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kulemin
Mac - Bozak - Komarov
Orr - McClement - Brown/Steckel

When healthy

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Frattin
Komarov - Bozak - Kulemin
Orr - McClement - Brown

Phaneuf - Gunnar
Franson - Gardiner
Liles - Kostka/Komi/Holzer

Trade Mac for a defensive defenceman. Try to add more toughness to the third line center position to have a legit shutdown line.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
10 game goalless streak. Season's going to be an anomaly one for Phil, leads the league in shots on net but still hasn't cashed in..

Kessel needs to focus on improving the quality of shots and not quantity. THat means driving the net, passing when he doesn't have a good shot etc.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
thanks for the feedback guys, from what I've seen he's been dynamite, but just wanted to make sure it wasn't only when i was watching haha

number72

Oct 9, 2011
BCYbMbUCIAE70CT.jpg:large

I love it. And JVR is making Kessel look bad on the ice.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
I think 25 will happen, maybe more
There has been 2 games where he didn't create much, but that is not to say he was terrible, in those games he was better defensively than offensively, been great soo far, faceoffs need improvement, but that will come in time

Agreed. But about the face-offs, I am seeing improvement. He was 4/5 80% from the dot tonight. Small sample size, but good nonetheless.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Kessel needs to focus on improving the quality of shots and not quantity. THat means driving the net, passing when he doesn't have a good shot etc.

He should have passed to JVR when they had that 2 on 1. Would have been automatic for James to notch the hatty.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The Grabo line is leaned on heavily to protect the lead late in the third, and they get matched up against top forward lines whenever possible.

The way Ovie has been playing of late, a bunch beer league players could shut down that line on Washington. Grabo's line couldn't shut down a Staal if they tried to. 5 points in 10 games, is unacceptable for the highest paid fwd on the team. I thought he looked asleep again tonight. Washington is an awful team, this game was pretty bad compared to the Philly/TB game.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
If the Leafs are a playoff team now...

JVR Grabovski Kulemin
MacArthur Kadri Kessel
Komarov Bozak Frattin
McLaren McClemment Orr
Steckel

Phaneuf Kostka
Liles Franson
Fraser Holzer

Reimer
Scrivens

What happens if you add Lupul, Brown, Rielly, Gardiner, Gunnarsson, Komisarek, possibly Ranger, and hopefully Perry into the mix next year...

mikebel111*

Agreed. But about the face-offs, I am seeing improvement. He was 4/5 80% from the dot tonight. Small sample size, but good nonetheless.

I know, some days he will be good, some days he won't, it's just a matter of adjusting, as I said, it will take time
I see improvement too, since the first game, he is doing different things, that is what he has to keep doing

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
He should have passed to JVR when they had that 2 on 1. Would have been automatic for James to notch the hatty.

Agreed. I screamed at Kessel hard. It would be easy tap in, goalie was so far out, HT for JVR, 3A +4 for Kessel and game probably in the bag right there. :shakehead

mikebel111*

I wanted to ask you something
Was kadri really as bad tonight as bunjay is saying

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Agreed. I screamed at Kessel hard. It would be easy tap in, goalie was so far out, HT for JVR, 3A +4 for Kessel and game probably in the bag right there. :shakehead

If we lost this would be a bigger deal. But we won. So it really doesnt matter.

As it stands, I'd bet JvR would be happier with Kessel scoring then he getting a hat trick.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
He did, but there were numerous times where he was looking around for the puck, unsure of where it was. Lots of rebounds that the Caps never took advantage of. I thought he looked shaky at best.
.923 save percentage shaky?

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
hehe
kessel has become the playmaker and JVR the finisher

hey phil good things happen when you go to the net!
1000 shots from the perimeter gets you nowhere dude :snide:

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
after the first 10 games I'm pretty happy with the result. We've played .500 hockey while playing players like Kostka, Fraser, Kadri, Frattin, Komarov and Scrivens... young players who are being given a chance at the NHL for the first time in their careers. Lupul, Mac, Gunnar, and Gardiner have all been injured throughout this time too.

Kessel hasn't scored but he looks more complete of a player now than he did last year. All the players seem to be on the same page and we are finally seeing this team play like a team.

I honestly think that we are 1 shutdown defenceman from being a team good enough to make the playoffs. I started off the year thinking that we'd get a top 10 draft pick, and I still think that's possible depending on how close the playoff race is this year (last year 10th in the East was good enough for the 10th pick).

I think we are at the end of the road with Bozak. He's an alright player, but not first line material.

This is what the lineups should be, based on the performance of these players in the first 10 games.

Frattin - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kulemin
Mac - Bozak - Komarov
Orr - McClement - Brown/Steckel

When healthy

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Frattin
Komarov - Bozak - Kulemin
Orr - McClement - Brown

Phaneuf - Gunnar
Franson - Gardiner
Liles - Kostka/Komi/Holzer

Trade Mac for a defensive defenceman. Try to add more toughness to the third line center position to have a legit shutdown line.

I have to agree with all of this. But I would definitely start Komiserek in the top 6, he has looked real good this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad