Tennis: Wimbledon 2018

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In a match between inexperienced grass court players, Tsitsipas has little trouble with Stan's conqueror Fabbiano, winning in straight sets. Round of 16--not bad.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Time to start checking the drinking water--Karolina Pliskova loses the first set to Buzarnescu.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Extremely easy first set for Roger over Struff who is playing like he already has his bags packed.

From what little I have seen, the second set looks a lot closer.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Karolina really toughed that set out. She was down a service break once and two points away from disaster twice. For a player who can be brittle that was impressive. A set all.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Gulbis/Sascha--I wonder if Ernests has one more surprise left in him. He likes a big stage.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rafa, looking pretty damn good on grass, off to a fast start against De Minaur, 3-1....and in a flash, 6-1....second set, 6-2, with Rafa keeping his foot on the pedal.

Ostapenko eviscerating Diatchenko, 6-love, 3-1....Diatchenko unexpectedly fights back but can't quite even the match, losing 6-4. If you think that the "male gaze" is a myth, you should have watched the camera work on Vitalia.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Halep up 5-3 in an entertaining match-up with Hsieh who worries not a whit about pace....Halep wins the first set, but Hsieh comes right back and wins the second set, 6-4. With her uber-junk ball ways, she is such a frustrating player to play that Simona needs to be on her toes here....Halep serves for the match and Hsieh, hitting some of the slowest balls imaginable, breaks her to get back on serve, 5-4...takes three deuces and a match point saved, but Hsieh miraculously holds for 5-all. Every point she looks vulnerable, but looks are deceptive in her case.....Sensing blood in the water, the crowd is really behind Su-wei....and Halep can't close out her serve despite opportunities to do so and now Hsieh is serving for the match. Mama mia!...Oh, my god, somehow match point....and she does it!!

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The more that I watch Hsieh play, the more I realize how athletic she is.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Absolutely f***ing amazing. What a suspense movie, the best prolonged nail biter of the year and with a great ending.

No highlights package can begin to do that tightrope walk justice. You had to see it to believe it. The match of the year by a mile.

.....and, incidentally, Pliskova is the last Top Ten seed standing.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Mind blowing. Only seven women's seeds will make the Round of Sixteen, with 25 on the sidelines. Only one of the eight matches will pit one seed against another. I can't believe that such a wipe-out has ever occurred before in any GS competition.

Today, in women's matches between a seeded player and an unseeded player, the outcome was 1-5 in favour of the unseeded player with Ostapenko being the only seed to win such a match up.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In an almost boring first set, Gulbis and Zverev more to a tie breaker....cool as a cucumber, Gulbis thrashes Sascha 7-2 in the breaker. Interesting.

2nd set: Zverev breaks in the first game and serves it out, 6-4. Solid, competent, but hardly thrilling level of play from both players. Still anybody's match.

Break point opportunities few and far between. Sascha has had one (and converted); Ernests has had zero, rarely coming even close to one. (as I wrote that, Gulbis saved three more from love-40 on serve).

3rd set: Sascha just continues to cruise along, 3 all....woo, hoo, Gulbis finally gets a break point and converts it, 5-3....the placid surface of this match has just got ruffled....torturous game in which Gulbis finally gets to ad and then blows it, 5-4 back on serve. Rooting for this guy has taken years off my life....and at the worst possible minute, the "bad" Gulbis and his whack-job of a forehand appear and cough up an error-filled service break, 5-6. The story of his career in a nutshell--he is a world beater until the moment he isn't and, then, man the lifeboats....third set to Sascha, 7-5.

4th set: Ernests ain't dead yet, 4-2. The bastard is just teasing me....the third set didn't hurt Gulbis' confidence any. He takes this set 6-4 and looks very comfortable doing it.

5th set: Well, here is a real test for Sascha, the kind he needs to pass because he has failed to do so in the past....feeding Sascha lots of soft stuff and thus playing with his nerves, Gulbis earns a quick break, 1-love....for a man who has hit 20,000 bad drop shots in his career, Ernests has been absolutely brilliant with that shot today--he must have won a dozen points with it....another break, 3-love. Sascha looks hangdog at the moment which won't help.....the slow stuff continues and it seems to utterly baffle Zverev, 4-love....sweet jesus, 5-love....easy peasy, 6-love. Wow.

Last edited:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Rafa closes it out 6-4. Beau Knows looking pretty good right now.

I didn't expect Federer's side to get almost completely annihilated though, so he has a big advantage over Nadal with his potential path to the final. Nadal still has tough opponents on his side, I'm really hoping to see him face Djokovic in the semis, that would be amazing.

10 years ago they played the crazy 5 set Wimbledon final, a rematch seems to be in the cards.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Edmund, who has really improved lately, takes the first set from Nole, 6-4...but Djokovic looking more sleekly Nole-like, breaks in the eighth game and takes the second set, 6-3.

3rd set: Nole breaks for 1-love.....and sails the rest of the way, 6-2.

4th set: A little tighter, but Nole takes it 6-4. Very solid performance at this stage of the tournament.

Last edited:

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Never in the history of Tennis have I ever seen what just happened in Djokovic match. Novak should have won the breakpoint in 4th set... but nope. Got screwed over by chair umpire AND linesman on SAME point. Unbelievable.

Incredibly unprofessional by Kyle to not admit that he played the ball after it bounced twice. To top it off, the winner was out by so much. AND he threw his racquet and touched the net. He should have lost the point three ways, and match would have been over.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kei clobbers Nick so far taking eight of the first nine game, 6-1, 2-1 currently.

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006
Djokovic kept calm and broke him in his next service game instead. Good work!

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Never in the history of Tennis have I ever seen what just happened in Djokovic match. Novak should have won the breakpoint in 4th set... but nope. Got screwed over by chair umpire AND linesman on SAME point. Unbelievable.

Incredibly unprofessional by Kyle to not admit that he played the ball after it bounced twice. To top it off, the winner was out by so much. AND he threw his racquet and touched the net. He should have lost the point three ways, and match would have been over.
Howdy, stranger. What do you think of your guy's chances to win this tournament at the moment?

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006
Howdy, stranger. What do you think of your guy's chances to win this tournament at the moment?
He has been so inconsistent that I don't take any match for granted, haha. His serve is markedly improved, but the "clutchness" is missing on big points. I think Kyrgios is a bad potential match up for him, but other than that, he has a decent shot.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole may not have to worry about Nick who has lost the second set tie breaker to Nishikori who is playing very steady tennis. Kei up two sets to none and a long, long road back for the Australian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad