Tennis: Wimbledon 2018

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nick nonchalantly as hell saves three match points in a row. Strange how this guy's mind works....and he is out. Another big gun bites the dust.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I don't think that has occurred to Wimbledon yet. Too plebeian. So last century.

Centre Court does because of the roof, doesn't it? Anyway, it's like 10 pm there, I'm surprised they kept going.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Centre Court does because of the roof, doesn't it? Anyway, it's like 10 pm there, I'm surprised they kept going.
You're right. Centre Court does have lights. I had to look it up because for the life of me I couldn't recall any memorable matches at Wimbledon after sundown, but they have finished some matches under the lights.

Last edited:

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
You're right. Centre Court does have lights. I had to look it up because for the life of me I couldn't recall in memorable matches at Wimbledon after sundown, but they have finished some matches under the lights.
I recall Andy and Stan playing pretty late under the lights at Wimbledon.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Art copies life and Wimbledon copies the World Cup, only more so, way more so.

Men's and women's tournaments combined, 17 seeds out 64 made the round of 16.

Three players ranked over #100 made it to the Round of 16: Gulbis (138), Rodina (120) and McDonald (103).

Last edited:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Nice to see these upsets at these tournaments. Makes for a more wide open tournament. No matches today but everyone on the male and female side of the draw play tomorrow. Raonic plays vs. Michael Mcdonald tomorrow in the Round of 16.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I forgot about Wimbledon taking Sunday off which made for a disappointing morning as I was excited to watch some tennis. But tomorrow is stacked with Federer, Nadal and Djokovic all playing.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I forgot about Wimbledon taking Sunday off which made for a disappointing morning as I was excited to watch some tennis. But tomorrow is stacked with Federer, Nadal and Djokovic all playing.
I can only watch till about 10:15 in the morning. I truly hate middle Sunday.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Federer is not messing around in this tournament. 3-0 already.

Yikes, Mannarino gets bageled in 16 minutes. He did make Federer face his first break point of the tournament, so there's that I guess.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Yup, 'Manic Monday'.

I could see Nadal being pressed today but I don't know if Vesely can keep it up for 5 sets.

Khachanov gonna be a tough out for Djokovic but I think he gets it done.

Raonic shouldn't have much trouble with McDonald today.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Manic Monday, part one: Pliskova is out in straight sets. The Top Ten women seeds are wiped out. Absolutely amazing.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Gulbis up a break on Kei, 3-2. Hmmm. Can this last?

Gulbis wins the first set 6-4, showing the same cool, confident efficiency that he displayed in the last two sets against Zverev. Get this: Ernests only made three unforced errors that set.

2nd set: A stat that seems unbelievable but is true: Gulbis has only lost three points on serve (32 for 35!) so far in the match....nearly as astonishing, he has more winners than losers on his forehand so far....Kei is hanging in there on serve, but he is looking increasingly physically uncomfortable about something, 4-3....tie breaker and this could be the match right here either way....Nishikori pulls out to a 5-1 lead and then holds on for dear life, 7-5. That's really toughing out a very hard set. Full points to Kei.

3rd set: Kei beginning to gain control as his serve improves while Gulbis' finally begins to falter, 3 all....however, it goes to another breaker. At 2-5 Gulbis has a very nasty looking fall and may have injured his knee. Medical time out....Nishikori's right foreharm seems to be causing his some irritation, too....play resumes....Gulbis gets to 6 all in the breaker but he looks hobbled....9 all as both guys get set points but can't close the deal...Kei saves a set point with a 22 stroke rally and then goes on to win 12-10.

4th set: Ernests in conversation with medical staff....and off the court they go again for another medical time out....play resumes, but Nishikori quickly moves ahead 4-love. Gulbis is just playing out the string as best he can....Kei wins 6-1. Well deserved. Great run for Ernests, though--hopefully his knee is not too serious an injury and he can start playing like he has this past week all the time.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Down a set, pesky Bencic breaks Kerber for 5-4 in the second set.....as has happened often before, she can't close the deal, 5 all....two Nervous Nellies go to a breaker, which Kerber wins 7-5 as Bencic comes close but can't deliver the knock out punch once again.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fed through more easily than the last two set scores make it look. Definitely in form.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
An all-business Monfils breaks Anderson to even the first set 4 all....but Anderson takes the breaker 7-4.

2nd set: Anderson dominates another tie breaker, 7-2. Not a fan, but his gawky game has been very effective so far at Wimbledon. He has done an excellent job of getting what there is to get, and maybe a little more, from his potential.

3rd set: Gael gets a late break but gives it back but breaks immediately again to prevent another breaker, 7-5.

4th set: as he is still prone to do, Kevin gets tight and Gael is up a break 2-1...but again Monfils gives it back, 2 all...the set goes to the third tie breaker of the match and Anderson wins this one, too. Federer up next for Kevin. Good luck with that.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Isner wins a hard-fought breaker to go up two sets to none. Tsitsipas, though, continues to impress. He is just learning in leaps and bounds--his ceiling is very high....Stefano keeps fighting, saving a match point at 5-4 and holding serve for 5 all....but Isner wins and is through to the quarterfinals for the first time in his ten attempts at Wimbledon. Raonic next, I believe.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Before I even could take a peek, Serena obliterates Rodina 2 and 2.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
On the women's side, in the five matches today where a seeded player faced an unseeded player. the seeded player won in all five. A late return to normality but with some very unexpected faces in the quarterfinals anyway.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad