Tennis: Wimbledon 2018

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nadal in great form up two sets to none. Best he has looked on grass in years.

3rd set: Currently 3 all as Vesely plays some of his best tennis. He earned a break but gave it right back....and Rafa, a trifle less firmly, takes the set and the match 6-4. His draw has worked out well for him so far, and he looks very eager.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Gilles Simon playing valiantly on his least favourite surface, but still down a set to Juan Martin Del Potro. 3-all in the second....this beautifully played match is going to another breaker...which Gilles loses 7-5. He has played steady tennis with gusts to brilliant and he has zip all to show for it.

3rd set: Simon finally catches a break, 2-love....tremendous play by Del Potro leads to a break 4-3 back on serve....Simon prevents a third tie breaker by breaking for 7-5. If a guy ever deserved to win at least one set, it's certainly Simon.

Play suspended for the day with Juan Martin leading Gilles two sets to one.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Khachanov, the last Next Gen standing, breaks Nole in the first game of the match....but Djokovic quickly evens the score 1-all....Djokovic gets a little separation for 4-2 and then Karen breaks right back, now 4-3....whatever you can do I can do better--Nole breaks right back and eventually wins the set 6-4.

2nd set: Like he is trying to outrace the setting sun, Nole off to a very quick 3-love lead....easy set 6-2. The Big Three look in top form.

3rd set: Continuing to look terrific, Nole breaks for 4-2....and close it out for 6-2. It's looking like Federer, Nole and Rafa might all very likely make the semis. Reminds me of a mind-twisting President Eisenhower line: "Things are more like they used to be than they ever were before."

Last edited:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Looks like the big 3 are all gonna make it through the day with no trouble whatsoever. They haven't lost any sets yet in the tournament.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Well, Novak has lost one but yeah, they look terrific. Kei is playing great though, should be an exciting match. Potential Del Po-Rafa too. Unfortunately, I will miss all of them.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I am surprised Milos dropped a set to that guy. Glad he got through. What a joke on the women's side, though. Hoping Kerber keeps winning.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Well, Novak has lost one but yeah, they look terrific. Kei is playing great though, should be an exciting match. Potential Del Po-Rafa too. Unfortunately, I will miss all of them.

Oops, so he did.

Yeah Djokovic and Nadal's quarter-finals should be fun, this is where the tournament really starts for these guys. Federer though has another match up that he should win comfortably enough.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Del Potro serves for the match at 5-4. Ten or twelve minutes later, after four deuces and four break points, Simon breaks to even the set at 5 all. Gillles is playing one of the best matches of his life, on grass, no less, but is still behind two sets to one at this point....third breaker of the match....which Del Potro, down 4-5, serves out 7-5. Hell of a match. Kudos to both players.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Up a set against Cibulkova, Ostapenko breaks for 3-2. She looks well within her comfort zone against Dominika....and Jelena closes the match confidently, 6-4.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
At 6-5, Kerber, already leading a set, and Kasatkina play a superb game which Angelique wins on the seventh match point. Kasatkina was brilliant, making one impossible get after another, sometimes on the same point--understandably exhausted, she just couldn't quite jump the last hurdle. For a change, Kerber wobbled but didn't crumble (can you mix metaphors with verbs?).

Tasty semifinal match: Kerber versus Ostapenko.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Neither Goerges nor Bertens have ever been anywhere this deep at Wimbledon so that's an X factor.... 2=2 in the first. This match is like watching two extras play tennis on a Hollywood set--there is no tang whatsoever....Bertens wins an uneventful first set, 6-3.

2nd set: Goerges with the early break, 3-1. Both women playing very steady tennis....just when it looks like Goerges is establishing a foothold, Bertens breaks back 4-4....Goerges has a set point at 5-4 but can't convert. Now 5-all....second time around, Bertens isn't so lucky and a seemingly ascendant Goerges takes the set, 7-5.

3rd set: 3-1 seems all the rage today as Goerges goes up an early break....Goerges continues her hot streak, 5-1....and tops the match off with a love service game. She is a deserving semifinalist.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Giorgi is a feisty thing--I think she will give Serena a match.

First break goes to Camila, 4-2....feisty, indeed--saving five break points in the process, Giorgi fights back from love-40 to hold for 5-2....and, confident as hell, Giorgi serves out the set. Wow--if she stomped her foot right now, it wouldn't seem out of character.

2nd set: Serena breaks for 3-1....and calmly serves it out, 6-3.

3rd set: Instant replay of previous set as Serena breaks for 3-1. Tough mountain to climb now for Camila....still down a break, but Giorgi hangs tough, 5-4....Serena serves it out 6-4.

What a tournament for Giorgi, though. She goes from #52 to #34 in the rankings and looked good doing it. As for Serena, she has certainly proved her merit and gumption once again.

Last edited:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Federer not on centre court tomorrow is surprising, makes sense though, the quarters on the other half do look more intriguing.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree

latest

Ronald's always been my favorite Mcdonald.

To today's matches Serena is into the semis. Could it be we're seeing the best tennis players of all time both male (Federer) and female (Serena Williams)? I think so.

Reactions: Beau Knows

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Guess we got our answer pretty quickly.

Nole up a set on Kei.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad