Speculation: Wilson for Hartnell

XxSmashville18Xx

Nov 14, 2015
Smashville, TN
Wilson isn't having one bad year.

He's only had one good year.

This year has been pretty par for the course with Wilson - somewhere around .40 ppg.

We gambled that he had turned the corner when he went beast mode in the playoffs, and it isn't working out.

And how is Hartnell a rental? He's signed for 3 more years after this one. And his game isn't really based on skating, so I don't know if I see him slowing down in the near future.

Wilson is always just more than a scorer too, he's a big powerful skater plays great both ways, don't get me wrong he's getting paid more than he deserves right now but he's solid and if we trade him will regret it. And I say Hartnell is a rental because i think he'll get traded after this season.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Wilson is always just more than a scorer too, he's a big powerful skater plays great both ways, don't get me wrong he's getting paid more than he deserves right now but he's solid and if we trade him will regret it. And I say Hartnell is a rental because i think he'll get traded after this season.

To your "If you trade him, we will regret it" comment, sometimes players simply need a change of scenery. They get too comfortable where they are and need a drastic change to wake up. If he isn't performing here and we are paying him to, wouldn't it be better for both this team and him if he were traded so that he may get this needed wake up?

XxSmashville18Xx

Nov 14, 2015
Smashville, TN
To your "If you trade him, we will regret it" comment, sometimes players simply need a change of scenery. They get too comfortable where they are and need a drastic change to wake up. If he isn't performing here and we are paying him to, wouldn't it be better for both this team and him if he were traded so that he may get this needed wake up?

You are probably absolutely correct, but my point was don't trade him for Hartnell! You never know when a guy that age will retire or for that matter if a serious injury comes along and he doesn't wanna have to come back from it. If we trade Colin Wilson I would wanna get a young guy like him. Like boedker or maybe Erickson but he's 31 I think maybe 32... I would want to add a guy that has no problem scoring. If we got Hartnell for a 2nd rounder maybe throw in a 3rd I would do it because he gives us a net front presence that we don't have at all. I just don't wanna trade willy away for pretty much a older guy or something stupid you know

XxSmashville18Xx

Nov 14, 2015
Smashville, TN
You have to consider this as well, Hartnell is having a career year as well. He's getting more mins then he's ever got. Don't think this would be a smart trade. So what happens if he doesn't work on the first line, move him down to 2nd and out Foresy on line 1? Foresy and smith have finally gelled and they look great together. What if he doesn't work on line two? I mean trading is always a risk, you could trade away someone who's doing amazing and start slumping instantly or you could trade way a bad player who starts playing great. Trades our a risk and I wouldn't do this trade. I would consider picks not a player swap and picks. Big Hartnell fan just don't wanna do the trade. I wouldn't mind offering Wilson, filia, a 1st for kessel. But that also messes up our cap situation... Idk we just need to find a 1st line lw. Even though Jarny has looked damn good imo. 1st line hasn't done much lately but they will get it together

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
Not a big thing, but Ladd going to Chicago may up the chance of Hartnell to Preds - a bit (Friedman said either Hartnell or Ladd).

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Um. No. No he is not. He's at roughly the same production as he has been for several years now. In fact, he did even better last year.

Very much like Wilson in that regard, actually. :)

Zing.

At any rate, the Hawks landing Ladd and I'm 90% sure they will have Hamhuis by the end of the week is going to be disgusting.

The only players left on the market I would feel good about adding are Hartnell and Eriksson.

Going to be an interesting couple of days.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Zing.

At any rate, the Hawks landing Ladd and I'm 90% sure they will have Hamhuis by the end of the week is going to be disgusting.

The only players left on the market I would feel good about adding are Hartnell and Eriksson.

Going to be an interesting couple of days.

Well, now you know what Eriksson will cost - is Poile paying that?

And I think Dallas will make a strong run at Hammer; they aren't quite at the window that Chicago is at, but they are sitting in too strong a position - especially with the Blues injury troubles - not to take a shot.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Hopefully, this trade talk will be put to bed right now. Wilson showed what kind of a beast he is in the playoffs, and he's the kind of player you absolutely need to make a deep run and win the Cup. He carried us out there.

Of course, I wish he could produce more in the reg. season and I believe next season he will but if he's like that in the postseason then it is just worth to keep him around because of that. Wilson is the guy who wins Cups and series for you. Thank god, we didn't trade him.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
I was a fan of the trade at the time and admit I probably wouldn't do it now. BUT - we have no idea how the team would have played down the stretch with Hartnell or in the playoffs. And if Wilson reverts to his typical mediocre regular season play - we may be having a similar conversation next year.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Yeah. I do not think you can deal Wilson at all right now. The only way you can deal him is if the return is huge. Hartnell is not that return. I would still love to see him back in Nashville, but I would move on from the Wilson/Hartnell base.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Wilson is a very interesting dilemma for the Preds. If they were ever going to trade him, there will probably never be a better time than now. Despite the terrible regular season, he once again was a playoff beast and now has the deserved reputation of a clutch playoff performer, and that will certainly increase his value.

But on the other hand, it is a big risk- what if Wilson is finally ready to carry over that playoff success and become the stud player we all have been waiting for?? If that happens, trading him away for an aging Hartnell or anyone else for that matter will be a tough pill to swallow.

But if we keep him and he once again flounders in the regular season, then his trade value will plummet and we will certainly regret not pulling the trigger on a trade.

It is really tough call, but if I am making the decision, I don't trade him. I want to see what he can do with a completely healthy season and the confidence of last year's playoff performance still fresh.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
no you don't move Wilson now you give him a chance to produce at this level next year especially given his synergy with Fisher and Neal.

If we want Hartnell and CBJ wants to move him, I think Fiala is the piece that moves. People here will scream bloody murder, but thats a "we think next year is our last shot at a Cup before Rinne gets too old" move

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
You don't move Wilson, just because his value is high. You keep him and hope he has a strong off-season and comes in determined, keep him with Neal and see if those to can light it up with Joey or our #2 center.

If he plays like he did during this season, move him.

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
You don't move Wilson, just because his value is high. You keep him and hope he has a strong off-season and comes in determined, keep him with Neal and see if those to can light it up with Joey or our #2 center.

If he plays like he did during this season, move him.

But if we wait until he starts to play like he did this season his value will have decreased and the return we'd get would be much less, its a dilemma! To be honest Id rather keep Wilson and move Smith though :handclap:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
But if we wait until he starts to play like he did this season his value will have decreased and the return we'd get would be much less, its a dilemma! To be honest Id rather keep Wilson and move Smith though :handclap:

why move either? Smith has played like a top 6 forward. trading him means we need another top 6 forward to replace him.

Wilson has shown he can contribute, so you give him a chance to do it in the season this year. its possible confidence was all he lacked.

this is a team that needs to decide if next year is a 'go for it" year. if it is(and I believe it should be), then I expect to see us move picks/prospects, even top prospects, for established NHL players to shore up the secondary scoring and some extra depth at D.

JGeorge54

Feb 6, 2016
This may be my first post here, but I've been reading the forum for years and closely following preds hockey. I would trade Wilson for a washing machine or bag of pucks. It's the same thing year in and year out. At some point you just have to write him off that he's not going to be the player everyone is waiting on him to be. Playoff production is good obviously, but regular season production moves you up the ranking for better advantages in the post season. He's had longer than he needs to get it going, and hasn't been able to get it done.

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
why move either? Smith has played like a top 6 forward. trading him means we need another top 6 forward to replace him.

Wilson has shown he can contribute, so you give him a chance to do it in the season this year. its possible confidence was all he lacked.

this is a team that needs to decide if next year is a 'go for it" year. if it is(and I believe it should be), then I expect to see us move picks/prospects, even top prospects, for established NHL players to shore up the secondary scoring and some extra depth at D.

Looking at the full season Smith produced 37 points which is at around #155 for forwards. Considering there are 180 top 6 forwards in the league it puts him in the lower 15%, meaning 85% of all top 6 forwards in the league produced more than him last year. Looking at goals though he was in the top 90's which means he scored more than enough for a 2nd line winger. Then Im also not considering the fact that he played every game this season and that there are people below him in the rankings that played alot less. I just dont think his overall production this season was good enough for him to be considered a good top 6 player. A mediocre top 6 player, sure. But if he's mediocre, shouldnt we be looking to upgrade him? And if we do upgrade him, isnt he too expensive for the 3rd line?

BUT! All things considered, he did turn his game up alot during the spring so I'm not 100% sure if upgrading him would be a priority to me anymore (priority should be #2 C imo). The problem with both Smith and Wilson is that their streaky though (which has been stated before many times), so you'll never know who will show up for the next 10 games and even if they did show up during this spring their absence in the first half of the season almost helped us miss the playoffs (not saying it was only them).

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Here's the roster questions I see right now.

1. There are two positions in the top six that could use an upgrade, as follows:

1a. Left wing. Neal and Smith are holding down the right wing positions. Forsberg is one of the left wings. Who is the other one? Jarnkrok was an OK stopgap measure but I don't think he's the permanent answer in the top six. Wilson looked good in the playoffs but is there any real faith in him during the regular season? He always shows flashes, then gets hurt and goes back to being mediocre. I think he's better as third-line depth in the regular season. Does Fiala get a look? Does Poile look to free agency?

1b. Second-line center. Johansen has one top-six center position locked down, but the coach didn't exactly show a lot of faith in Ribs in the post season and he didn't have great productivity. Is there another options for second-line center? Can Fisher step up and have another productive year or is he best playing limited minutes on the third line with Wilson and saving himself for the playoffs? Could Jarnkrok get a look at the #2 center spot? Does Kamanev get a shot in training camp? Is there a free agent or trade available that could shore up the position?

2. Bottom six logjam. Assuming Gaustad is not re-signed, there is still a glut of bottom six players right now. Especially if Fiala makes the team in the top six, or another center pushes Ribs down to a lower line. Wilson, Fisher, and either Jarnkrok, Ribs, or Arvidsson are probably going to be the third line with one of those last three probably playing in the top six. Then you have Nystrom, Watson, Sissons, Salomaki. That's a pretty crowded bottom six and I'm not even including Bourque because I don't know where he stands with respect to his health.

I think you probably see something like Wilson-Fisher-Jarnkrok/Ribs on the third line, with Ribs staying at 2nd center most likely and Jarnkrok playing third wing but you might swap those two. Then the fourth will be Salomaki-Sissons-Arvidsson but again, that all depends. I'm not sure Watson or Nystrom can get into the lineup and it wouldn't really shock me to see Watson traded for a draft pick or mid prospect. We have a very crowded bottom six right now and any free agent pickups are just going to make it worse.

3. Third defensive pair. How much does Jackman have left in the tank? Are Bitetto and Granberg going to be retained and, if so, what's their ceiling? I think we need the third pair to absorb a little more time and especially PK time to help ease the load some on Weber and Josi during the regular season. I wouldn't mind seeing more minutes pushed to Ellis and Ekholm, either, if that keeps a little more gas in the first pair's tank for the playoffs.

edit: Dang, posted this in the wrong thread. I meant to put that in the trade/free agency thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad