Speculation: Wilson for Hartnell

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
So last night on NHL network, I think, Scott Stevens brought up us and Columbus becoming trade partners again. He said he thinks we could trade Colin Wilson for Scott Hartnell. Both players have term but Hartnell makes a little more money, but we have the space. Would you do this? I think I would. Wilson is struggling so bad right now and Hartnell was loved here in his original stint. I suppose he would at least bring more physical play. What do you all think?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Nah, too big of a risk. Hartnell is the better player right now and maybe next year but after that? That contract is going to be horrible in the future. We are not that close to a contender.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
If Columbus ate a bit of that contract, I'd certainly be open to it. I love Wilson, but he simply hasn't shown the ability to perform at a high level on a night to night basis. This team needs to win now. Hartnell could give them a bit of a boost. At the very least it's a lateral move. Just hope there's some salary manipulation. If there isn't, that makes me think twice.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The term of both contracts are the same. Hartnell is going to drop off at some point will it be next year or does he have another year in him. If Hartnell stays you know you have a net presence. Im torn retreads do not have a good record of working for us. Mason, Franson, Santo. That said Wilson has reached his potential here im not sure either team wins in this trade so who knows.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
If I had to guess, the final deal will be Wilson and Aberg (or a pick) for Hartnell.

Here are the reasons
1. Management has shown no confidence in Aberg
2. Wilson has not shown he can tough it out as a top 6
3. Hartnell has great net presence
4. Hartnell played under Lavi and liked him
5. Hartnell was drafted by Poile (a sure fire way of knowing you will get traded back to Nashville)
6. Hartnell was rumored to be coming our way with RyJo
7. Hartnell and RyJo used to play together on the same line and have great chemistry

RyanGetzlafsHairline*

Nah, too big of a risk. Hartnell is the better player right now and maybe next year but after that? That contract is going to be horrible in the future. We are not that close to a contender.

Even in the last year of his contract, I bet Hartnell could do better than or as good as Wilson. He'd only have to hit ~30-40 points...

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
What if Hartnell drops off like Fisher next year? At least we know Wilson is not going to drop off yes he is having a terrible season but he'll most likely bounce back next year. We'd sell future for this and maybe next season only. We would make our window a lot smaller.

Like I've said if Poile finds a way to bring Hartnell without giving up Wilson I'd take that trade in a heartbeat. If he could package Nystrom or try CBJ to retain like 1M that would be a great. Let me remind you, CBJ is in big cap troubles and if the cap does go down next year they'd be better off trading Hartnell.

Give Wilson a chance to play these 3 remaining games before TDL in the top line and see what he can do.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
The downside is Hartnell seeing his physical style catch up to him like it did Fish; is Poile willing to take on the risk of that happening next year already given the salary? Seems un-Poile-like.

Then - why would Cbus do it? Why do they want to dump Hartnell? Joey - didn't fit with the coach, and they had a chance to get Jones - makes sense. This?? What makes them think they can get more outta' Wilson than we've been able to here? I would think they would want someone with what you'd think is a little more upside than a chronically under-performing CW.

It makes for interesting discussion, it's intriguing from a Poile gets one of the guys he never wanted to let go back, but I just don't see how it actually makes sense.

RyanGetzlafsHairline*

Fisher is 35, oft injured and relies on skating much more than Hartnell. Hartnell is 33 and an iron man. Not seeing the comparison...

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Fisher is 35, oft injured and relies on skating much more than Hartnell. Hartnell is 33 and an iron man. Not seeing the comparison...
Fisher is a better skater than Hartnell but both are physical players that use that to create goals. Fisher doesn't depend on his speed to score but it did help. He's just not as strong on the puck this year, and can't seem to even score his typical lunch bucket goals.

Fisher was a consistent 20+ goal guy who's production fell off a cliff this season.

RyanGetzlafsHairline*

Fisher is a better skater than Hartnell but both are physical players that use that to create goals. Fisher doesn't depend on his speed to score but it did help. He's just not as strong on the puck this year, and can't seem to even score his typical lunch bucket goals.

Fisher was a consistent 20+ goal guy who's production fell off a cliff this season.

Okay, and Fisher has suffered from a laundry list of injuries over his career while Hartnell has been mostly injury free. Hartnell is also 2 years younger. I see it as a poor comparison.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Y'all are killing me.

Are you saying you would rather keep Colin Wilson than trade for Hartnell??

Hartnell gets us into the playoffs this year. Proven Chemistry with Johan.

Playoffs mean Jimmy Vesey.

Vesey+Hartnell> Colin Wilson and ancillary pieces

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I hated that Hartnell got shipped out in 2007. The team suffered without him until we got Hornqvist, who did what Harts did and put his butt squarely in front of the goalie and got those dirty goals. After Hornqvist left we have sorely needed that type player again. I like Wilson--but since he hasn't performed well even a 7 goal scorer is an adequate Wilson replacement. Just call someone up for that role. I'd do this deal, even with Aberg, in a heartbeat but player for player would be my preference. Wilson might do better with a change of scenery. I'd hate it if he suddenly scored 20 before season's end but that's the chance you have to take.

Trade.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
To me it is not a question of whether Hartnell is better than Wilson, the question for me is why in the hell would Columbus want Wilson to begin with?

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
What if Hartnell drops off like Fisher next year? At least we know Wilson is not going to drop off yes he is having a terrible season but he'll most likely bounce back next year. We'd sell future for this and maybe next season only. We would make our window a lot smaller.

Like I've said if Poile finds a way to bring Hartnell without giving up Wilson I'd take that trade in a heartbeat. If he could package Nystrom or try CBJ to retain like 1M that would be a great. Let me remind you, CBJ is in big cap troubles and if the cap does go down next year they'd be better off trading Hartnell.

Give Wilson a chance to play these 3 remaining games before TDL in the top line and see what he can do.

We have been giving Wilson a chance for what 7 years. We pretty much know what we have in the guy on ice. He could play 1000 games the results are not going to differ very much than the 411 games he has completed. He is a tweener being paid top 6 money. Good guy that just is not getting the job done.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
To me it is not a question of whether Hartnell is better than Wilson, the question for me is why in the hell would Columbus want Wilson to begin with?
I'm thinking the same thing here too... With Jones and Jenner both RFA's, doesn't C-Bus need to clear some cap space to sign them and have some wiggle room?

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006

Absolutely agree. Very different players and circumstances.

Good question. Although I wouldn't put it past Columbus.

Another thing to consider, does Hartnell want to come back? I wonder if his notorious ex-wife lives in Nashville...

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
BJs would do it to bet the come on Wilson (change of scenario; achieves his potential; yadayadayada) and free up some cap space (Hartz bigger hit than Wilson).

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Okay, and Fisher has suffered from a laundry list of injuries over his career while Hartnell has been mostly injury free. Hartnell is also 2 years younger. I see it as a poor comparison.

Fisher suffered from that laundry list of injuries since Nashville acquired him at age 31; 4 seasons before that up through the season we got him played 78-81 games every year. So, comparison is that somewhere around this age MAYBE that style of play catches up with you.

If Wilson stinks or his contract is as bad as people make them out to be, Cbus would be crazy to make that deal because suitors should be lining up for Harts - if that risk above is such a poor comparison.

RyanGetzlafsHairline*

Fisher suffered from that laundry list of injuries since Nashville acquired him at age 31; 4 seasons before that up through the season we got him played 78-81 games every year. So, comparison is that somewhere around this age MAYBE that style of play catches up with you.

If Wilson stinks or his contract is as bad as people make them out to be, Cbus would be crazy to make that deal because suitors should be lining up for Harts - if that risk above is such a poor comparison.

So what you're saying is that Fisher started to break down at 31 and Hartnell is still an iron man and playing great at almost 34? Cool, not comparable. As for teams lining up, only competitors would be interested in a guy his age and not many competitors have any cap space.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

THANK YOU. Voice of sanity around here.

The answer is that the Jackets have less than zero use for Colin Wilson. He provides nothing that we don't already have tons of. I'd consider him in a swap for Fedor Tyutin, but not Hartnell.

* * *​
I'm thinking the same thing here too... With Jones and Jenner both RFA's, doesn't C-Bus need to clear some cap space to sign them and have some wiggle room?

Potentially. But there are far less destructive ways to do that than a Hartnell-for-Wilson trade.

* * *​
BJs would do it to bet the come on Wilson (change of scenario; achieves his potential; yadayadayada) and free up some cap space (Hartz bigger hit than Wilson).

We do not have the room to safely make that bet, and the last time Kekalainen did that we ended up saddled with the worst contract in NHL history.

It is infinitely less risky to just keep Hartnell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad