GDT: Willy Wonka and the hockey game, Oilers @ Devils 7:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Just watched the Ruff presser.

He said couple things: team not practicing yesterday was huge mistake and that is on him completely (coaching). Cause they looked not ready for anything in that 1st period. Or 3rd.

Lost almost all important 50/50 battles.

That they got their asses kicked he said.

Not getting in lanes. Getting outnumbered up front of net. And finally not shooting when you had opportunities.

thats an easy out to put the blame on himself. it shouldn't matter if the team practiced or not we are in the heart of the season the team should be able take a day off and come out hungry. this team just isn't the same team since the playoffs last year.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
i like fitz a lot but he came into this season swinging his d going “now’s the time to be contenders, we’re here” and he’s sitting back overseeing one of the most disappointing seasons this millennium

The reality of it, though, is that they're not far out of things in the standings right now.

This week has been painful, there's no denying that. And if they can't get out of this hole that they're playing in right now, it could be the catalyst to the change that everyone here is craving for behind the bench. It's not going to happen mid-season otherwise. We'll have to fully spiral to see another coach takeover during the year.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Schmid, earlier in the season against the Caps in a game very much like last night lol (only difference was he clearly gave up at least one softy that game)

I swear I think they’re trying to protect him cause some of their decisions with Schmid make no sense otherwise.
Happened a few times under MacLean.

no i'm not saying because the way he is playing just looking back from now it just seemed forced like everyone in hockey general were calling for them to make the move and pushing for the move
Everyone was “calling for” the move because they knew the team had been trying to acquire him for a couple seasons at that point and wanted to look smart. The team wasn’t forced into that trade.

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
The reality of it, though, is that they're not far out of things in the standings right now.

This week has been painful, there's no denying that. And if they can't get out of this hole that they're playing in right now, it could be the catalyst to the change that everyone here is craving for behind the bench. It's not going to happen mid-season otherwise. We'll have to fully spiral to see another coach takeover during the year.
It’s not realistic to think they are just going to flip a switch and be better without some kind of significant change. They’ve had 30 games to do it…yet they keep making the same egrigious mistakes. Literally zero progress from game 1 to game 31.

A coaching change is just about the only viable option that might make a difference in-season.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It’s not realistic to think they are just going to flip a switch and be better without some kind of significant change. They’ve had 30 games to do it…yet they keep making the same egrigious mistakes. Literally zero progress from game 1 to game 31.

A coaching change is just about the only viable option that might make a difference in-season.

I'm not really disagreeing, but they've lucked their way into 16 wins?

They're inconsistent, that is for sure. And they fall into serious mental lapses during games when things aren't going well that carryover into prolonged stretches. Some of that could stem from them still being young and inexperienced, especially on the backend. And much of that can fall into coaching not getting them prepared the right way, or having an overcomplicated scheme.

I'm not a Ruff apologist, but there's a lot at play here that is blowing up in our face. Goaltending hasn't been good enough. The defense is struggling with consistency. And the offense is coming back down to earth. I do believe a coaching change will be the first move Fitz ultimately makes if this turns into a deeper stretch of losses. But I don't expect it to happen if they piece together wins and stay in the race. I think we'd then see it at the end of the season ultimately.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
I'm not really disagreeing, but they've lucked their way into 16 wins?

They're inconsistent, that is for sure. And they fall into serious mental lapses during games when things aren't going well that carryover into prolonged stretches. Some of that could stem from them still being young and inexperienced, especially on the backend. And much of that can fall into coaching not getting them prepared the right way, or having an overcomplicated scheme.

I'm not a Ruff apologist, but there's a lot at play here that is blowing up in our face. Goaltending hasn't been good enough. The defense is struggling with consistency. And the offense is coming back down to earth. I do believe a coaching change will be the first move Fitz ultimately makes if this turns into a deeper stretch of losses. But I don't expect it to happen if they piece together wins and stay in the race. I think we'd then see it at the end of the season ultimately.
they rode a hot power play and individual talent to 16 wins. how many complete games have we seen? how many dominant performances? very few if any.

i don’t think they should be measured against the standings. lou fired a coach heading into the playoffs because he didn’t like how the team looked. obviously that was extreme but being mediocre with this roster and staying as a bubble team because everyone is hovering around .500 isn’t a ringing endorsement. we are not a stanley cup contender. if fitz wants to be one then he should make a move. or is this just another development year? if our goal now is to develop two rookie d men then is this the coach and system to do that?

completely disillusioned with what they are trying to do here

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Just watched the 3 quick goals again and watch in the f**k was Smith doing on that third one. Oilers trying to break out and he decides to charge down the wall to forecheck. Easy 2-on-1. Didn’t realize how bad it was. No chance he was supposed to do that
Maybe not "supposed to do it" but we do have a very aggressive or "high end" mindset. Does seem like we could handle some more simple/conservative play right now.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
they rode a hot power play and individual talent to 16 wins. how many complete games have we seen? how many dominant performances? very few if any.

i don’t think they should be measured against the standings. lou fired a coach heading into the playoffs because he didn’t like how the team looked. obviously that was extreme but being mediocre with this roster and staying as a bubble team because everyone is hovering around .500 isn’t a ringing endorsement. we are not a stanley cup contender. if fitz wants to be one then he should make a move. or is this just another development year? if our goal now is to develop two rookie d men then is this the coach and system to do that?

completely disillusioned with what they are trying to do here

Again, I don't disagree. But, I think that this is the reality of how things are going to be looked at. There are talented enough pieces there that this team should be able to be more competitive than they have been. If they continue to put together wins in some fashion to stay in the race, I don't see Ruff getting canned midseason.

If we get more performances like last night, though? Absolutely, I can see it happening. Maybe it's the eternal optimist in me, but I just don't envision that happening. I think this could very well be our Vegas season before the bring in the new coach and put it all back together.

I think they may have talented their way into 16 wins but they have no synergy as a group.

I think they’re getting less out of their talent than neutral and you’d hopefully run a system that gets more out your talent.

The lack of synergy is certainly a part that I feel Ruff needs to be held accountable for. He changes things in the lineup far too often that it doesn't allow for chemistry to develop.

Reactions: youryeah

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
If last night was how this team typically played, I would have wanted Ruff fired a month ago. The problem is it isn't. They'd played several fairly tight games in a row over the last few weeks before that.

Maybe it's just because I've always been of the opinion that the coaches matter a lot less in hockey than people give them credit for, but I just don't see a new coach fixing it. It's too many individual mistakes and not enough support from their teammates. Maybe pushing a reset button by firing the coach would snap everyone out of it, but that would be just as large of an indictment of the players to me. There are several guys I'm less sure of long term than I was this time 3 months ago, Bahl, Marino, and Seigenthaler chief among those.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
If last night was how this team typically played, I would have wanted Ruff fired a month ago. The problem is it isn't. They'd played several fairly tight games in a row over the last few weeks before that.

Maybe it's just because I've always been of the opinion that the coaches matter a lot less in hockey than people give them credit for, but I just don't see a new coach fixing it. It's too many individual mistakes and not enough support from their teammates. Maybe pushing a reset button by firing the coach would snap everyone out of it, but that would be just as large of an indictment of the players to me. There are several guys I'm less sure of long term than I was this time 3 months ago, Bahl, Marino, and Seigenthaler chief among those.
I think it's the exact opposite. How many times have we seen teams improve just by changing coaches in this league. The NHL fires coaches at a rate much higher than the other NA leagues...and this is exactly why. Because it seems to work.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Also...those tight games they played until recently...it was only a handful...an outlier overall so far. These last few games they returned to what we've seen them doing most of this season.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Camille the Eel

Maybe not "supposed to do it" but we do have a very aggressive or "high end" mindset. Does seem like we could handle some more simple/conservative play right now.
Yeah Smith has been hurting us consistently. His play at D has noticeably deteriorated. His penalty killing and old fashioned NHL toughness remain of value but are beginning to look like it’s a losing exchange. Could also be that when there was other experienced D around his role was more sheltered but that when asked to do more he is exposed. His mistakes played a large part in at least two of the goals against last night it seems to me; the first goal 16 seconds in he was also on for.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Finally got to see the highlights. Holy f***ing shit our D was brutal, wow. Luke was really weak on the puck for two against, Bahl with an inexcusable pass through the middle, Siegs looked like ass too. That pic I posted was from him bowling over Vitek.

Looks like we gave up a bunch odd man breaks too, (Smith). I’m not going to ding the goalies too much other than that 2 on 1 on Vitek, that was from a really bad angle.

Our defense is REALLY bad along the wall behind our net, they lose battles all the time and cough the puck up constantly.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Finally got to see the highlights. Holy f***ing shit our D was brutal, wow. Luke was really weak on the puck for two against, Bahl with an inexcusable pass through the middle, Siegs looked like ass too. That pic I posted was from him bowling over Vitek.

Looks like we gave up a bunch odd man breaks too, (Smith). I’m not going to ding the goalies too much other than that 2 on 1 on Vitek, that was from a really bad angle.

Our defense is REALLY bad along the wall behind our net, they lose battles all the time and cough the puck up constantly.
You'd think the coach would recognize this and not have a system that actually calls for them to leave the area in front of the goalie to go chase the puck behind the net and in the corners. Crazy right?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It's beyond aggravating to have the doomers return after this atrocious week of results when the team had an 8-2 stretch right before this. Practically negates that run of wins, coupled by the fact this was at the start of a homestand against a team who had won once in their last 14 tries.

If there is any call for Lindy's job, to me it's that they're far too often not ready to play the opponent in front of them, especially at home. And I can't put my finger on how that can be.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
It's beyond aggravating to have the doomers return after this atrocious week of results when the team had an 8-2 stretch right before this. Practically negates that run of wins, coupled by the fact this was at the start of a homestand against a team who had won once in their last 14 tries.

If there is any call for Lindy's job, to me it's that they're far too often not ready to play the opponent in front of them, especially at home. And I can't put my finger on how that can be.
The Sabres are also terrible at home. They also stink at D.

This team should have nothing in common with a team like that.

Camille the Eel

A new coach could put in a new system. But doing that 1/3 in and when we are very much into developing Luke and Simon and with the success we had last year and the success Lindy has had developing Hischier and Jack seems questionable right now. I think throwing out the whole system when Fitz has built the roster for it, well . . . I’m unsure it’s the right move. I certainly don’t see us suddenly becoming a cup contender because of it.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

I don't use it much but the ignore feature here is terrific if you want make some of those people disappear for good.

I don't remember if it was one of our TV broadcasts or the post show on the radio but they were saying it's like we play a more simple game on the road and maybe try to entertain a bit too much at home and now it's snowballed into a bit of lack of confidence at home.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

I'm with you and had another post that referenced you typed up but you came in and posted what I was going to say.

The team not fired up for game starts and 3rd period 1 goal leads or deficits (ducks game). That's on the players. They are pros and if they can't get motivated to play the game without some old man (whether 50 or 60 years old -sorry old timers here) to fire them up for a game start...in a season that needs full attention (standings wise)...And to play the right way in front of a lively home crowd game after game... then that's pathetic. Only a true disciplinary coach can fix that then and that is torts. Good luck with that core then.

Certain players are individually playing since the waning stretch. Literally, Jack and Luke have been the most noticable two that have literally made plays to lose the game for us. Jack had two giveaways last game that literally sunk the win out. Luke had a giveaway in another OT not that long ago where we lost. They are not alone, but their lackadaisical plays with the puck are symbolic to the problems now.

You can excuse Luke a bit, but not Jack. Jack is a 5 or whatever season player now.

"Veterans" like Marino and Siege definitely know better. Palat too, but he turned around his puck play a lot since the seasons start.

Bratt on the other hand hasn't been doing the same dumb plays as much. Last two seasons before yes...but far less this season. Only maybe once or twice I remember Bratt giving up a shit turnover this season that really sunk a game.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
A new coach could put in a new system. But doing that 1/3 in and when we are very much into developing Luke and Simon and with the success we had last year and the success Lindy has had developing Hischier and Jack seems questionable right now. I think throwing out the whole system when Fitz has built the roster for it, well . . . I’m unsure it’s the right move. I certainly don’t see us suddenly becoming a cup contender because of it.
I actually don’t think this roster suits the defensive system very well.

On defense, the Devils chose this system to relieve defensive pressure off the smaller centers, Nico and Jack. This system put both defenders behind the net rather than a defender and the center. This may have made sense then but makes less sense now, imo.

The idea the Devils have is the big defenders will win the board battles quickly and then start a quick breakout. This doesn’t happen often enough as the 2 defenders often both begin the battle at a poor angles and stalemate despite outmanning the offense 2-1. This usually invites 1-2 more defenders and 1 more offensive player to join the scrum. Now if the puck pops out the Devils will be outmanned everywhere else on the ice or win the battle and have nobody to pass to leading to a risky play or turnover.

I think the roster is more setup to play a tight zone marking system where the Devils emphasize skating and staying in the way of the opponents shooting opportunities.

I also think the forecheck has been pretty poor this year so I’d probably try more of a counter-attack trap system to take advantage of the Devils who have good acceleration.

——————-

I think these changes would more suit the Devils roster and allow them to save energy for more meaningful moments rather than have to constantly push and chase the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad