GDT: Willy Wonka and the hockey game, Oilers @ Devils 7:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I actually don’t think this roster suits the defensive system very well.

On defense, the Devils chose this system to relieve defensive pressure off the smaller centers, Nico and Jack. This system put both defenders behind the net rather than a defender and the center. This may have made sense then but makes less sense now, imo.

The idea the Devils have is the big defenders will win the board battles quickly and then start a quick breakout. This doesn’t happen often enough as the 2 defenders often both begin the battle at a poor angles and stalemate despite outmanning the offense 2-1. This usually invites 1-2 more defenders and 1 more offensive player to join the scrum. Now if the puck pops out the Devils will be outmanned everywhere else on the ice or win the battle and have nobody to pass to leading to a risky play or turnover.

I think the roster is more setup to play a tight zone marking system where the Devils emphasize skating and staying in the way of the opponents shooting opportunities.

I also think the forecheck has been pretty poor this year so I’d probably try more of a counter-attack trap system to take advantage of the Devils who have good acceleration.

——————-

I think these changes would more suit the Devils roster and allow them to save energy for more meaningful moments rather than have to constantly push and chase the game.
Great points. It's annoying because these are the types of situations where our defensive coverage is supposed to generate wins. That's what it did last year, we won those battles and got the puck out quickly. I would say it's just youth on D but the veterans have been struggling with it too.

The link-up play between the forwards and the defense has been much weaker and I think that's where many of the problems lie this year. It's almost like watching a soccer team with a shitty midfield. When we've had ugly losses like last night this season, it has looked to me to be the games where we aren't getting the puck out of the zone with control so we start making too many high risk passes and get caught.

I'm still a believer in Ruff's scheme, but I agree with the sentiment that being more flexible would suit the current iteration of the team better. If the players are going to keep making mental errors, he could take those decisions out of their hands.

Camille the Eel

On defense, the Devils chose this system to relieve defensive pressure off the smaller centers, Nico and Jack. This system put both defenders behind the net rather than a defender and the center. This may have made sense then but makes less sense now, imo.

The idea the Devils have is the big defenders will win the board battles quickly and then start a quick breakout. This doesn’t happen often enough as the 2 defenders often both begin the battle at a poor angles and stalemate despite outmanning the offense 2-1. This usually invites 1-2 more defenders and 1 more offensive player to join the scrum. Now if the puck pops out the Devils will be outmanned everywhere else on the ice or win the battle and have nobody to pass to leading to a risky play or turnover.

I think the roster is more setup to play a tight zone marking system where the Devils emphasize skating and staying in the way of the opponents shooting opportunities.

I also think the forecheck has been pretty poor this year so I’d probably try more of a counter-attack trap system to take advantage of the Devils who have good acceleration.

——————-

I think these changes would more suit the Devils roster and allow them to save energy for more meaningful moments rather than have to constantly push and chase the game.
This. Best post I’ve read in some time.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal

——————-

Are you looking for a job?

I might have one for you...

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra

——————-

I think these changes would more suit the Devils roster and allow them to save energy for more meaningful moments rather than have to constantly push and chase the
I really hate the swarm, everyone has to make the right read and be on the same page for it to work. It just causes too much confusion and missed assignments leading to wide open looks or back door plays.

I’m not sure if it’s a league wide thing but I also hate that play where the forwards curl up near the dot, the defense trying to break out or relieve pressure, makes that pass though the forchecker. It’s so dangerous and prone to turnovers and glorious chances against like when Bahl and McLoed coughed it up.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Maybe not "supposed to do it" but we do have a very aggressive or "high end" mindset. Does seem like we could handle some more simple/conservative play right now.
Thing is, I’m a big fan of dman pinching and forwards supporting them when they do. Isn’t all that high risk and keeps the puck in quite a bit. But like, I’m not even sure I’d call that a pinch. More like abandoning his position to forecheck a guy who had full control of the puck. Just so unnecessary and pointless. High risk-low reward play.

Reactions: devilsblood

DrBSmooth

May 10, 2006
All I want for Christmas.....is no Devils gear.

I am so down on this team right now, as are most of you, that I don't want to open up a gift that has a Devils shirt, or hat or jersey (knowing my brothers, I may get something team related as a present).

I am deciding not to spend money on future games (wanted to go tomorrow) or the March road trip till this team starts picking up their play. It is just money down the drain (I did go to the San Jose and Anaheim games and talk about two easy wins turning into Fat L's)

The TLDR version: Hoping for no Devils Gifts this Christmas.

Except......Genucel would be appreciated. If only they had a product for my hair.....this team is turning it gray at an alarming rate.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Thing is, I’m a big fan of dman pinching and forwards supporting them when they do. Isn’t all that high risk and keeps the puck in quite a bit. But like, I’m not even sure I’d call that a pinch. More like abandoning his position to forecheck a guy who had full control of the puck. Just so unnecessary and pointless. High risk-low reward play.
But if the mindset is to be aggressive then the mistakes, or misreads will lean that way.

I think Smith is a fine 7th d-man, but it really surprises me how often he is trying to make high risk, offensive oriented play. If he took more of a lovejoy mindset, I think he'd be a pretty decent bottom pair guy. Was he always like this, or is this him playing, or trying to play, the way the rest of the team plays.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
But if the mindset is to be aggressive then the mistakes, or misreads will lean that way.

I think Smith is a fine 7th d-man, but it really surprises me how often he is trying to make high risk, offensive oriented play. If he took more of a lovejoy mindset, I think he'd be a pretty decent bottom pair guy. Was he always like this, or is this him playing, or trying to play, the way the rest of the team plays.
I don’t think playing aggressive means you have to make incredibly stupid decisions like that.
I agree. He consistently makes bad aggressive reads like that. He’s probably done that all his career but was better at it and smarter about it before. Someone needs to tell him to cut it out.

Ties into my biggest issue with Ruff right now. Feel’s like certain players aren’t being held accountable (Hughes, Siegenthaler, Smith, Marino to an extent).

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
If last night was how this team typically played, I would have wanted Ruff fired a month ago. The problem is it isn't. They'd played several fairly tight games in a row over the last few weeks before that.

Maybe it's just because I've always been of the opinion that the coaches matter a lot less in hockey than people give them credit for, but I just don't see a new coach fixing it. It's too many individual mistakes and not enough support from their teammates. Maybe pushing a reset button by firing the coach would snap everyone out of it, but that would be just as large of an indictment of the players to me. There are several guys I'm less sure of long term than I was this time 3 months ago, Bahl, Marino, and Seigenthaler chief among those.

They had 3 games where they played what you'd call actual defense. AMAZING.

I can't believe there are people who don't think a coaching change would do anything. If I was an nhl player and I could get away with getting paid to play like shit, you bet I would. A coach needs to keep them accountable. You can't exactly trade away 20+ players.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

——————-

amazing. How can Ruff not see this?

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
All I want for Christmas.....is no Devils gear.

I am so down on this team right now, as are most of you, that I don't want to open up a gift that has a Devils shirt, or hat or jersey (knowing my brothers, I may get something team related as a present).

This is absolutely insane
The TLDR version: Hoping for no Devils Gifts this Christmas.
And this

Except......Genucel would be appreciated. If only they had a product for my hair.....this team is turning it gray at an alarming rate.
but not this
IMG_0978.jpeg

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
Severely underestimated the loss of Severson and Graves... I thought it would be a positive in fact.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Some of you are way too dramatic…

Questioning to continue 10+ year season tickets. Wanting to not get GIFTS that are Devils related….

All of this while the team will still be battling for a postseason spot, and on the onset of a great future here after enduring the lows of 14-21. Bunch of babies. Get it together, this isn’t the home finale of 2014-2015 which was the lowest point in this franchise’s history.

Reactions: youryeah

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Is Daws still on the roster?

I have no interest in seeing Vitek any sooner than deceased relatives who I couldn't stand and Schmid may still be rattled from that 5 minutes last night.

We're literally gonna have to play our best defensive game for Vitek to play well and when we do that, it seems we can't score much of anything. Like the Boston and Philly games.

They clearly don't wanna give Schmid a chance, despite the fact that he hasn't been as bad as Vitek (he still hasn't been good) so maybe give Daws a run and if it looks promising, put Schmid back in the AHL and shuttle the two of them back and forth until someone gets it right.

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
I don’t think we’d have many more wins if you swapped those two for Luke, Nemec, and Miller. Missing Dougie is much larger.

Idk about Dougie, he played/plays almost no defense. Nemec from what I've seen has been good, not many mistakes. Luke plays high risk, high reward hockey... technically he's a rookie so it's to be expected.

Miller, seemed like revelation the first few games but recently has graded out extremely poor. I feel a lot of fanbases get enamored with a player they haven't seen before simply bc he's new and unknown.

The biggest regression surprisingly has been Marino. The defense as a whole is a problem which magnifies the goalie situation not the other way around imo.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Idk about Dougie, he played/plays almost no defense. Nemec from what I've seen has been good, not many mistakes. Luke plays high risk, high reward hockey... technically he's a rookie so it's to be expected.

Miller, seemed like revelation the first few games but recently has graded out extremely poor. I feel a lot of fanbases get enamored with a player they haven't seen before simply bc he's new and unknown.

The biggest regression surprisingly has been Marino. The defense as a whole is a problem which magnifies the goalie situation not the other way around imo.
Dougie helps fuel the offense which defactos makes him a good D by preventing less dzone pressures

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
Dougie helps fuel the offense which defactos makes him a good D by preventing less dzone pressures

I guess that's a fair assessment which is why I think Fox grades out so well on defense. If they're pushing offense they can't be on defense. But in the D zone exclusively Dougie is a below average defenseman.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
From the 32 thoughts podcast today

''They hired Travis Green in the offseason, some people feel that's a coach in waiting. So they have some kind of succession plan''/

I just shat myself.

Just keep Ruff if that's the plan and hire a REAL head coach next year. And not one of the worst of the last decade.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
From the 32 thoughts podcast today

''They hired Travis Green in the offseason, some people feel that's a coach in waiting. So they have some kind of succession plan''/

I just shat myself.

Just keep Ruff if that's the plan and hire a REAL head coach next year. And not one of the worst of the last decade.
No no, they need to fire Ruff so they know Green isn’t the guy for next year. Otherwise you risk Green getting a full season next year. :sarcasm:

Reactions: RememberTheName
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino