Post-Game Talk: Willy Wild Styles 2-1 OT

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That was an awful game to watch, it was slow there was barely any scoring chances both teams struggled to get shots through it was awful.

And you know what? GOOD because if they are going to beat Tampa or anybody else they are going to need to show they can grind out wins and last night they did.

ROR 74% on the draw, over 70% since he got here.

THAT boys and girls is why you get him It's not just the 5 points in 4 games, although that's fantastic It's the 74% in the dot.

You start with the puck 74% of the time there is a good chance you are going to win.

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
He has haters?
It would be surprising at this time sire, since the man was our best playoff player last season too. Some suckas might be still dodging bout that contract year he didnt play but some. But doubt it. Lets see if suckas is ready to rumble. Our team is so good right now. Out shining other clubs.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Just tonshow difference marner vs nylander with teammate

Last 2 season matthews played entire season with nylander
Pace for 45 goal 88 pts and 41 goal 89 pts
2 last full complete with marner 65 goal, 104 pts and 67 goal and 119 pts
-46 goal and pts

Jt last 2 season with nylander 28 goal 73 pts and 28 79 pts
With marner 47 goal 87 pts and 36 goal and 83 pts
-27 goal and - 18 pts

i just dont know what nylander really bring more than a forsberg, tarasenko or kessel ( younger)... lets be clear they all pretty good player but he is not a game changer like marner and matthews are...

An other exemple guentzel will have to resign at same time than nylander in a similar context than nylander... if he resign at 8, 8.5M... you will be fine to resign nylander 10M++

Nylander has the most OT goals in the league and is on pace to challenge a potential 100 point season but you don't think he's a game changer :huh:

At this point if the Leafs are down by a goal or in overtime the player I want out there the most is Willy. Used to be Matthews , but at this point I time I'd probably pick Marner 2nd.

Reactions: Arzak

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Absolute legend and best personality on the team just LOL at you boomers wanting to trade this beauty

Nylander is our best player this year and I really hope he stays.

That being said, he is very tradeable now. His stock was never higher and his cap hit makes him even better.
I want to see him resign, but if they won't do it, trade him this offseason rather than lose him for nothing.

The fact that Nylander and Matthews NMC kick in simultaneously can't be good for Leafs.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Nylander has the most OT goals in the league and is on pace to challenge a potential 100 point season but you don't think he's a game changer :huh:

At this point if the Leafs are down by a goal or in overtime the player I want out there the most is Willy. Used to be Matthews , but at this point I time I'd probably pick Marner 2nd.
3vs3 OT he is an assassin but in playoffs OT, it is still Matty for me until Willie does it at least once.

Reactions: meefer

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
3vs3 OT he is an assassin but in playoffs OT, it is still Matty for me until Willie does it at least once.
Not for me. Matthews has just not been dynamic this year. Also found it interesting in watching the replay of Nylander's OT winner, Matthews looks fairly subdued in the post goal celebration. Wonder if he's getting jealous of Nylander's rise to star level play.

• Haha
Reactions: Metroid and ToneDog

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
LTIR Mathews, let’s see what he does in playoffs. He missed the net like three times tonight, maybe he needs more time. And what happened to Acciari’s physical game? He got exposed to woke and soft culture of this iteration of the Leafs?
What are you talking about?

His hits per 60 is higher in m Toronto than it was in St Louis?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Not for me. Matthews has just not been dynamic this year. Also found it interesting in watching the replay of Nylander's OT winner, Matthews looks fairly subdued in the post goal celebration. Wonder if he's getting jealous of Nylander's rise to star level play.
No question about it. Give Willie space and time and he is lethal this year. I just think when the shit hits the fan in an OT playoff game, it is Matty for me until somebody proves otherwise.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Didn't watch the game but love seeing Willy doing Willy things. Him and Hyman have always been my favourite Leafs. I think it probably had to do with them being the first sign of hope that year they first came up.

I'd be livid of they let Nylander go as well. Hyman was tough enough to take. Nylander may be the end.

Good win. Minny are so boring. Couldn't imagine having to sit through 82 games of their play.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

For me a game changer is a guy who make everyone around him better. Nylander is an elite offensive player like kessel was but hes not making people around him better.
I agree with you about Nylanders comparison being closer to guys like Forsberg. Though, at the same time, id focus more on cap% than raw salary comparison. Nylander may end up with more raw dollars than some comparisons but will likely be in line in terms of cap position.

I think he ends up extending at 8 years x 10-11% of the projected cap when he signs.

Exactly to reach 10M salary cap should raise of 15M next season to have same % than forsberg but i think its still what nylander will try to do and not sure if a team will really give him whats he hoping for

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Willie has some of the best skating/agility in the league and especially in small spaces.

When he pulled the first move on Boldy, it didn't look like he had much room left but powered past him and quickly cut right back in front. Not many players have the ability to pull this type of play off with almost no space but he has insane skating talent.

Wasn't the most exciting game but the type of game we will see alot of in the playoffs, so very good win.

Reactions: meefer and ToneDog

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Why would he stay on a team that can’t win in the playoffs, it would make sense he would go somewhere to try and win a Cup. As I said it’s a gamble I wouldn’t take. That is why I said unless we make the final. If we do well sure he will probably stay.
IF (big big IF).......the Leafs were to win it all this year, do you think Matthews is more or less likely to stay?

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
For me a game changer is a guy who make everyone around him better. Nylander is an elite offensive player like kessel was but hes not making people around him better.

Hmm I don't think that's fair to be honest. What you mean to say is he's not making players better as good as Marner does. Marner is either the best playmaker in the league or at worst a top 3/top 5 playmaker. We've seen Guys like Kerfoot have a career year with Will and Galchenyuk looked better with him in the playoffs when JT went down.

I think Willy does indeed make players around him better, he's just no Marner at it, which is fine because he's still a top notch playmaker himself.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4