Post-Game Talk: Willy Wild Styles 2-1 OT

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
So we add Frank Seravelli to the long list of clowns in Toronto media. Steve Simmons, Sid Sexeiro, Damien Cox, Kyper, Bourne, Craig Button etc.

55 is being generous, he looks 75.
At this point, it seems more beneficial for the leafs to be bad and suck for the media than it is to win. Easy, lazy, click bait b.s

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
3vs3 OT he is an assassin but in playoffs OT, it is still Matty for me until Willie does it at least once.
Over the last ten seasons, Matthews, Kapanen, and Bozak each have one OT playoff goal. That's it for the Leafs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Willy haters have been suspiciously quiet. He scored both times Matthews was not out with him.
I don’t think they exist any longer.

Nylander still does check out from time to time.
IMO, Marner is the most consistently excellent game in and out.

I would kind of prefer that Matthews is dealing with some nagging low level issue than not having the motivation to compete in the regular season. That's not a trait I want in my franchise player that he's just not into it that much.
This all day. :thumbu:

Reactions: saltming

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Underrated parts of that Nylander goal is the split second flick of his stick to guard the puck when Gaudreau takes a hack at it after getting schooled, then the one hand pull of the puck between the defender and goalies stick. sheesh

One hand pull is even more impressive when you consider the other hand is doing puck protection simultaneously.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Underrated parts of that Nylander goal is the split second flick of his stick to guard the puck when Gaudreau takes a hack at it after getting schooled, then the one hand pull of the puck between the defender and goalies stick. sheesh

One hand pull is even more impressive when you consider the other hand is doing puck protection simultaneously.
I think if you've played hockey, watch hockey or even just read about hockey, there is no underrated part to that goal. The only way someone sees any negative to it is through strongly biased goggles

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I think if you've played hockey, watch hockey or even just read about hockey, there is no underrated part to that goal. The only way someone sees any negative to it is through strongly biased goggles
Sure was one of the best goals this year for sure.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
the wrist/arm strength required to do that one handed stick lift....

just a thing of beauty.

GudPro ;)

he went from a puny kid
image.jpg

To this
nylander8.jpg

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Hmm I don't think that's fair to be honest. What you mean to say is he's not making players better as good as Marner does. Marner is either the best playmaker in the league or at worst a top 3/top 5 playmaker. We've seen Guys like Kerfoot have a career year with Will and Galchenyuk looked better with him in the playoffs when JT went down.

I think Willy does indeed make players around him better, he's just no Marner at it, which is fine because he's still a top notch playmaker himself.
Kerfoot had 53% of his production with nylander and 47% without last season...

The only i said, for me nylander is in forsberg, guentzel, kessel category and not on crosby, kane, marner, matthews, ovy, pastrnak, marchand...

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Well, that was a pretty good game. Was a refreshing change from the ridiculous pond hockey we've been playing lately and not enough to wash away the stink of the embarrassing losses to Chicago but at least it's a start. Definitely a step in the right direction so I'll say good work guys. I'm sure most people prefer games like the Marner 5 assist game but me, I'll take a good 60 minute team effort every time, especially as the playoffs get closer.

Some people love to brag about how much talent we have, how spoiled we are to have all these guys, how Mitch is the smartest player in history, how Matthews might score 70 goals this season (those posts were a while back of course) and how Willie's reached a new level this season and so on and so forth. I however can't for the life of me understand how anyone can feel "spoiled", I just don't get it. Sure it's nice to have good players but it's still a team game and until we make some noise in the playoffs, all talk of being "spoiled" is just insane.

This team has been the same story for years. Good in the regular season. Not the most consistent of teams, but overall, still consistently among the top 6 or so teams. But then the playoffs come and we're always 2nd best no matter who we play and we're setting some sort of records for playoff futility.

Crest on the front >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Name on the back. I care about all our players, but I care a thousand times more about the team. Maybe we win the cup this year, not likely but the eternal optimist in me is still hoping, and even insisting that it's possible. If we lose to TB again though and this core gets broken up, I wonder if some of the braggarts here will look back on the last 7 years and say "yeah those were good times, we may never be spoiled like that again"? Me I just want the team to win. I don't care if we don't have a single star player, if the team wins, I'm happy and as it stands now, the 93 Leafs accomplished more in that one season than this core has done during their entire careers to this point and this might be their last chance.

That doesn't mean I can't say great game Willie! I'm afraid of the upcoming contract negotiations though. People are talking about Matthews wanting 14 or even 15 million a year, if we pay him even say 14, then isn't Willie worth at least 11-12? And Marner will then say he's worth what, 16?

I'm excited about the upcoming playoffs because as I'm fond of saying, this could be the year. But the other side of the coin is that I've been saying that for 5 years now and so far I look dumb for saying it. And if this year is another failure, then we're facing players who are setting records for playoff futility who might be asking to be rewarded for failure by being paid record sums of money. It's kind of surreal when I think about it, Kafkaesque even.

Last edited:

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Just tonshow difference marner vs nylander with teammate

Last 2 season matthews played entire season with nylander
Pace for 45 goal 88 pts and 41 goal 89 pts
2 last full complete with marner 65 goal, 104 pts and 67 goal and 119 pts
-46 goal and pts

Jt last 2 season with nylander 28 goal 73 pts and 28 79 pts
With marner 47 goal 87 pts and 36 goal and 83 pts
-27 goal and - 18 pts

i just dont know what nylander really bring more than a forsberg, tarasenko or kessel ( younger)... lets be clear they all pretty good player but he is not a game changer like marner and matthews are...

An other exemple guentzel will have to resign at same time than nylander in a similar context than nylander... if he resign at 8, 8.5M... you will be fine to resign nylander 10M++
This is pretty misleading

Your reasoning nylander makes no one better has 1 semi-valid arguement

Matthews paced for 45 goals 83 points and 41 goals 89 points. Firstly, where did you get these stats, nylander didn’t play with Matthews in 2018-19, kapanen and johnsson did.

Matthews was 18-21 during that span…no shit his 24-26 year old self is gonna be better. It’s his prime

Marner played with JT his first season, back when JT was 28. The Tavares Marner player with and the one nylander played with, aren’t the same player. Moreover. That line also had Hyman, much better than the kerfoot Tavares and nylander got. This year is fair, Marner has elevated Tavares, but I’m not disagreeing Marner doesn’t elevate players better than anyone on the team. It’s just the reasoning used makes no sense. You can’t compare essentially teens to players in their prime.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Well, that was a pretty good game. Was a refreshing change from the ridiculous pond hockey we've been playing lately and not enough to wash away the stink of the embarrassing losses to Chicago but at least it's a start. Definitely a step in the right direction so I'll say good work guys. I'm sure most people prefer games like the Marner 5 assist game but me, I'll take a good 60 minute team effort every time, especially as the playoffs get closer.

Some people love to brag about how much talent we have, how spoiled we are to have all these guys, how Mitch is the smartest player in history, how Matthews might score 70 goals this season (those posts were a while back of course) and how Willie's reached a new level this season and so on and so forth. I however can't for the life of me understand how anyone can feel "spoiled", I just don't get it. Sure it's nice to have good players but it's still a team game and until we make some noise in the playoffs, all talk of being "spoiled" is just insane.

This team has been the same story for years. Good in the regular season. Not the most consistent of teams, but overall, still consistently among the top 6 or so teams. But then the playoffs come and we're always 2nd best no matter who we play and we're setting some sort of records for playoff futility.

Crest on the front >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Name on the back. I care about all our players, but I care a thousand times more about the team. Maybe we win the cup this year, not likely but the eternal optimist in me is still hoping, and even insisting that it's possible. If we lose to TB again though and this core gest broken up, I wonder if some of the braggarts here will look back on the last 7 years and say "yeah those were good times, we may never be spoiled like that again"? Me I just want the team to win. I don't care if we don't have a single star player, if the team wins, I'm happy and as it stands now, the 93 Leafs accomplished more in that one season than this core has done during their entire careers to this point and this might be their last chance.

That doesn't mean I can't say great game Willie! I'm afraid of the upcoming contract negotiations though. People are talking about Matthews wanting 14 or even 15 million a year, if we pay him even say 14, then isn't Willie worth at least 11-12? And Marner will then say he's worth what, 16?

I'm excited about the upcoming playoffs because as I'm fond of saying, this could be the year. But the other side of the coin is that I've been saying that for 5 years now and so far I look dumb for saying it. And if this year is another failure, then we're facing players who are setting records for playoff futility who might be asking to be rewarded for failure by being paid record sums of money. It's kind of surreal when I think about it, Kafkaesque even.
:clap:Bravo!

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Let's say we accept what you say is true. How does that affect Matthews' legs and willingness to compete? Can't he still skate and press in the offensive zone using his size to his advantage, maybe throw a hit or two and contribute in other ways?
My thought as well

its more than a few times we're seeing him only exerting a minimal effort getting back, once in a while you're going to see that with any player, because maybe they're at the end of a shift and out of gas. I don't really buy the injury thing because it isn't happening every shift, but the frequency is enough to make it really noticeable. In fact i wish it was just an injury.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
My thought as well

its more than a few times we're seeing him only exerting a minimal effort getting back, once in a while you're going to see that with any player, because maybe they're at the end of a shift and out of gas. I don't really buy the injury thing because it isn't happening every shift, but the frequency is enough to make it really noticeable. In fact i wish it was just an injury.

If he was healthy and just checked out wouldn’t he be half assing it defensively and feasting on the PP to pad stats for his next contract?

Even if we ignore his all around game and effort level, why isn’t he using his bread and butter shot at all this year? Most of his goals are in close this year, he’s cleaning up greasy scrambles more often than he’s ripping shots through defenders skates like usual. I don’t see how his effort would cause him to constantly miss the net and have trouble handling passes, you’d figure his natural talent with his hands and shot would be the only thing to survive a low effort level.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
But that wasn’t the question 😎
Ahh, I see… I think he stays. Be the best Leaf ever is something I think he would appreciate the significance of. Sure Bettman is all for the southern teams but who knows where any of them will be in 25 years. For instance it wouldn’t be as much fun being the best Coyote ever when they don’t exist anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad