Post-Game Talk: Willy Wild Styles 2-1 OT

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Why would he stay on a team that can’t win in the playoffs, it would make sense he would go somewhere to try and win a Cup. As I said it’s a gamble I wouldn’t take. That is why I said unless we make the final. If we do well sure he will probably stay.
That’s fair but he still got two years with us and haven’t said anything about leaving.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The wild play dull hockey. Glad we got the win at least. The team hasn't been firing on all cilinders lately and i think things could use a bit of a shake up. Reilly has looked really bad defensively to me. He along with Holl have terrible gap control. They need defensive anchors on their lines or to not be playing (Holl). Matthews needs the spark of Marner back on his wing. I saw Kerfoot throw a body check and get involved in a net front scrum tonight for the first time ever. He can stay in for now but has to keep it up. I'ts different but I think could really work well and give us great depth. Playoffs i'd like to see:

Bunting - Matthews - Marner
O'Rielly - Tavares - Jarnkrok (Hopefully another TDL pick up)
Engvall - Kampf - Nylander
ZAR - Acciari - Kerfoot

Rielly - Brodie
Giordano - Liljigren
Sandin - Timmins
Why would you put the player who is clearly our best at even strength on the third line?

Reactions: saffronleaf

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Frank Seravalli
@frank_seravalli
·
37m
I’ve watched this goal 200x already. What a beautiful sequence. Effort, creative, silky.

But I’m torn. Was this a crafty stick lift?Looks deft, but tough to do with one hand.

I think it’s actually a missed hooking call, looks to me like Nylander gets him on the hands. 🤷🏼‍♂️

this clown really has a hate for the leafs ..wth
@frank_seravalli

Then show the evidence.

Ref is looking directly at the play.

1677300121426.png

Certainly looks like you are seeing what you want to see.

That's the trouble there are no reporters anymore, everyone is an opinionator.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
He would switch salaries with Tavares.
But indont think repeat the same kind of mistake we did with tavares with nylander is a great astuce...
And this year?

Leafs leading goal scorer, and 2nd. on the team in assists.

And now the real season:

View attachment 656340

Last 3 season

Nylander 84 goal 192 pts in 191 game
Guentzel 87 goal 192 in 185 game
Forsberg 73 goal 158 pts in 158 game
Tkachuk 86 goal 225 pts in 196 game

He really deserve more of those player?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230224_233805_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230224_233805_Chrome.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Marcus

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
This is a playoff style type of game. Glad the boys came out with 2 pts even if they didn’t the fact that they didn’t lose in regulation already shown me confidence that they can lock down, don’t give up and keep grinding it out.
Let’s face it, 3v3 OT and shootout won’t happen in the playoffs.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
But indont think repeat the same kind of mistake we did with tavares with nylander is a great astuce...

Last 3 season

Nylander 84 goal 192 pts in 191 game
Guentzel 87 goal 192 in 185 game
Forsberg 73 goal 158 pts in 158 game
Tkachuk 86 goal 225 pts in 196 game

He really deserve more of those player?

How much did they all re-sign for in 2024?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
That’s fair but he still got two years with us and haven’t said anything about leaving.
Next year his no trade kicks in. So this summer is our last chance to trade him. If we do well this playoff we roll the dice and keep him hoping he extends his time here because why wouldn’t he. If we lose 1st or even 2nd round I guess he figures he can’t win here and moves on and then we will get nothing.

I never stated anywhere Mathews was a poor player. Quite the contrary, I’ve said he will get more his next contract. Mind you I wouldn’t give him more but I still consider him an 11.5 million dollar player.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Next year his no trade kicks in. So this summer is our last chance to trade him. If we do well this playoff we roll the dice and keep him hoping he extends his time here because why wouldn’t he. If we lose 1st or even 2nd round I guess he figures he can’t win here and moves on and then we will get nothing.

I never stated anywhere Mathews was a poor player. Quite the contrary, I’ve said he will get more his next contract. Mind you I wouldn’t give him more but I still consider him an 11.5 million dollar player.
I think unless he wins the Conn Smythe like Mack, there is no way any teams would pay him over 14mil. I think he will sign at most 13-13.5mil.

I don’t think he is going anywhere unless he wants to or the Leafs sees a great trade and AM needs to go the other way.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Further to the Matthews injury idea, if I were to take an uneducated guess, I might guess it's a wrist flare up. His puck control has been off and you see the puck rolling on him a lot. I wonder if it's concentration but maybe it's full range of wrist movement.

The other thing I noticed and didn't like is when they pulled the goalie in the last 2 seconds it was new guy ROR who they trusted to take the draw. Not Tavares, but neither was it Matthews. His FO wins totals have been way down since the Chicago game. And it was ROR who took the opening draw in OT, and Nylander who took the offensive zone FO in OT with Matthews out there. They just seem to be keeping him off center duties, not the way you would expect them to roll with their number one center.
He's the #1C, but not the best at faceoffs, hence the #2C to start OT. Willy to take the draw on his strong side makes some sense too.

Yes, I suspect it might be the wrist again/still.

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I think unless he wins the Conn Smythe like Mack, there is no way any teams would pay him over 14mil. I think he will sign at most 13-13.5mil.

I don’t think he is going anywhere unless he wants to or the Leafs sees a great trade and AM needs to go the other way.
Fine if you think he would extend for 8 more years on a team that can’t get out of the 1st round, well that will be great. Just remember if you are incorrect and he wants to go somewhere where he can win a Cup we will get nothing for him.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Fine if you think he would extend for 8 more years on a team that can’t get out of the 1st round, well that will be great. Just remember if you are incorrect and he wants to go somewhere where he can win a Cup we will get nothing for him.
Then we will welcome McD home in two years.

Don’t stress over stuff that haven’t happen yet.

Honestly if the Leafs don’t have any playoff success the next two playoffs, they need to re tool bc it means the team just not good enough to win the Cup.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Then we will welcome McD home in two years.

Don’t stress over stuff that haven’t happen yet.

Honestly if the Leafs don’t have any playoff success the next two playoffs, they need to re tool bc it means the team just not good enough to win the Cup.
Lol, I’m not stressing man. Just playing GM, I wouldn’t gamble getting nothing for a star player, maybe top 2 or 3 in the league.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Forsberg and tkachuk comtract started this, that will not raise nylander value of 2M because hes resign in 2024

I agree with you about Nylanders comparison being closer to guys like Forsberg. Though, at the same time, id focus more on cap% than raw salary comparison. Nylander may end up with more raw dollars than some comparisons but will likely be in line in terms of cap position.

I think he ends up extending at 8 years x 10-11% of the projected cap when he signs.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Lol, I’m not stressing man. Just playing GM, I wouldn’t gamble getting nothing for a star player, maybe top 2 or 3 in the league.
Any GMs would sign him to an extension before it happens.
Like I said, the only way AM is leaving is he wants to leave and if he pulls a Johnny Hockey and JT, nobody can do anything about it.

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
My prediction, unless we make the final, Mathews is traded, William is 10.5, Marner stays at 11 on his next deal JT plays for 7 on his next deal

You think we'll be paying a 35 year old Tavares 7M per year in 2025-2026? Zero chance. Even 5M is a stretch.

I suspect we'll be moving on from Tavares unless he's willing to except a large paycut. Besides, we'll need his 11M to help for McDavid the following year! ;)

Reactions: Confucius

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Playoff style game and our best player comes through, creating all the good goals in the game.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
You think we'll be paying a 35 year old Tavares 7M per year in 2025-2026? Zero chance. Even 5M is a stretch.

I suspect we'll be moving on from Tavares unless he's willing to except a large paycut. Besides, we'll need his 11M to help for McDavid the following year! ;)
JT will
Be signing the Spezza special after this contract and will play LW on the 3rd line with Brown and ROR. Lol

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I'm not sure Acciari has had a game yet where he wasn't a bright spot. He just flat out plays, no matter who he's against or what the situation is
He is tough to play against and I wish Leafs can get two more players like him and swap them with Engvall and Kerfoot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad