Post-Game Talk: Willy Styles goes Tralala all over Sweden! LEAFS complete the comeback WIN!!!

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Feels good to be right. Group chat with one of my buddies being a Leafs hater and that's me calling the comeback after the second period. He went silent after the third period. :laugh:

1000013375.png

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I was going to be pretty pissed if they lost that game. The net being pushed off was a textbook automatic awarded goal. Then the next series of plays would not have happened leading to Detroit's first goal, which I'm not even convinced was a penalty shot - looked to me like it was Rielly's stick on the puck, not his hand but it's irrelevant since none of that series of events happens if the NHL shows any competence at all. I should be happy about a win I guess but they make it so hard.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Just line Willy up on the D, win a draw back to him and let Nylander skate with it until he scores a goal no?

I wasn't too far off on this was I lol..

Have only seen the highlights of the game so far, but yay, GLG.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Thought we lost it when they decided no goal on that Marner shot/Walman net dislodge (wrong call IMO, should've been a goal), and then Detroit potting 2 shortly after. But great comeback!

It's called "setting the stage".

I mean it's no fun scoring 30 seconds into the game and coasting to a 9-0 win, right?

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
He's
He's not wrong, in the sense that they have passed on a lot of OHL players right in their backyard for silly picks. Obviously Cherry is not tuned into the draft rankings or what the scouts are saying. At the time FLA had the 1OA pick and there were rumblings they would trade down to pick Nylander. I don't think anyone expected Nylander to be there at 8. We're lucky VAN and CAR made two really dumb picks.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Marner and Matthews took another day off?
Truth is, they sucked ass. Not sure what they are doing.

The good news is, this team can win without them (from time to time). This was one of those times.

2nd and 4th lines were great. Sammy was very good. D was very good.

Team probably didn't have their best game, but had a great 3rd period and got the job done.

This is one of those 'just win and don't worry about how' road trips.

1 for 1 so far.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I think we can all agree Auston's hairline has now leapfrogged William's hairline. That's the important thing. I think Auston was slow playing him this whole time.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
PK was a part of this win.
Need to figure out this two many men on the ice shit though. Seems they get one every other game.
Getting silly isn't it? You should take like maybe 10 of those a year, I don't know where we're tracking but it's too many too many.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Getting silly isn't it? You should take like maybe 10 of those a year, I don't know where we're tracking but it's too many too many.
I don't know what else is included (lost challenges and ?) but we currently lead in 'bench' minors with 6.

Two teams have 5, five teams have 0, average is 1.9 (roughly 1/5 of the season).

Last year Ottawa had 20, LA had 2, we had 8, while the average was 9.1.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Crazy how they've lucked their way to 4th in the East.

Yep, elite skill will cover for a lack of systematic play against average or poor teams in the regular season, get into playoffs and that becomes a massive open wound for other teams to exploit.

I wouldn't go that far. They mostly controlled play after the first period I'd say, and had to work against the refs.

They slept walked through the first two periods, the coach said the team saved their legs for the 3rd period, pretty damning statement that the team was shit for two periods.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Good effort, good win. Bertuzzi played a strong period.
Is Knies ready to play with Matthews and Marner?
PK was good, but Detroit PP was bad and they had no juice on their passes.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Yep, elite skill will cover for a lot of systematic play against average or poor teams in the regular season, get into playoffs and that becomes a massive open wound for other teams to exploit.

They slept walked through the first two periods, the coach said the team saved their legs for the 3rd period, pretty damning statement that the team was shit for two periods.
This is one of the concerns I expressed the other day. The same will hold true for the Minnesota game. The Leafs can beat these kinds of teams without having to play very hard, but sometimes getting by on skill alone isn't the best thing.

• Love
Reactions: Hellcat and Al14

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Lmao I find it so fitting too.. the Detroit dman that takes the hit from bertuzzi and coughs up the puck on the game winner.. none other than Justin Holl! Seen that before haha

It's nice to get it from him on the other side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad