Willy Part XVI - The Zurich Summit

Status
Not open for further replies.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
And people wonder why people are losing interest in sports. Teenager interest in the NHL drops .5% every year. For adults it's .25% yearly drop.
It costs too much. Although I think some sports that are cheaper to play are starting to grow some traction.

member 300185

Paid coaches in Toronto when I lived there started at peewee and the top teams at Minor Midget (OHL Draft year) are paid on all teams. So more then the other. The paid coaches started in the GTHL as an cover your expenses and took off from there.

Parents were the individuals who pushed for this as they wanted no parent coaches as well as no favoriting certain players . It filtered down from Minor Midget downwards. When I was coaching often I was offered bribes. Tickets to Leafs games, flights to anywhere you wanted to go. Offered a cottage use for the summer in very rich places etc.

$200000 is a correct amount as you need to consider all costs. If you are playing AAA players are taking buses to many games as well as hotels for players only. A single tourney will cost a parent 3 nights at a hotel for themselves gas and food etc that is upwards of $1000 for a tourney not including the team costs. That is for one tourney when most teams attend say 5 a year. There are teams that travel to other provinces to play in a tournament. Now you are paying for Flights rental of a bus while you are there, hotels etc. It is a costly event.
Man, you are out to lunch. There is no way a parent pays a grand for 2 nights hotels, food and gas. Most tournaments are 2 days and not 3. Sometimes there are 3 but not often. Sometimes, if the tournament is close, no hotels are needed. Most associations have a tournament or 2 during a season. You don't have to go away for those. So if you go to 2 or 3 tournaments away, then how much does it cost for a hotel? 100 bucks or less. Last year, we often got deals for an 80 dollar hotel. So lets just go with your number and 3 nights in a hotel at a 100 bucks. Thats $300. Tell me again how one kid will cost 650 to eat and 50 in gas?

Come on. You are full of BS on this. There are NO coaches paid in NS at the minor hockey league level. Not sure about anywhere else, but not here. And you saying that the registraition costs are just made up. Go check google for Minor hockey association costs across canada. Most are about $200 to $500 dollars. We paid 920 for 2 kids.

Stop with this Dice. You can't possibly win this argument making crap up. Google it, then let it go.

Reactions: my name is Bob

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
The conversation was the player getting to the NHL and these players are not your typical players.

I spoke facts to you. At the highest Level people are spending a ton of money with no fund raising opportunity.
Here is something that goes on every day. Private skills teacher. 1 session in the Toronto Area would cost $400 to $500 per hour based on the cost of the ice per hour. Do your self a favour and check ice cost per hour in the GTA. Say a player had 10-15 sessions a year that alone is $5000 to $7500.

When I last coached in Toronto I had an extra 8 hours of ice time contract that I had for years. When I moved out to Saskatchewan I sold the contract as you could not get that ice time at the hours I had. Ice time costs from 5pm to 10pm in the city is almost impossible to get but cost at the time was $325an hour at a private arena on Dufferin St and I got a discount as a long standing costumer. That was 12 years ago.

The average minor hockey player (not AAA) in the GTHL playing Rep hockey A or AA spend $4-6k just in registration cost.

Our Boy Hyman Dad once owned over 80 minor hockey teams and registration was an average of $3000 per player and up. You got a track suit a pair of pants, socks and a hockey bag included this was over 15 years ago.

I am not going to write a novel but many team have a power skating instructor come 10 hours on a seaon or more. Off ice training instructor all manitory. Hell in Toronto the GTHL charges every parent admission to watch their child play hockey.

The $200000 firgure for a high skilled player is likely a little low when taking into consideration all the extra items. Parents are signing a contract with an agent at young ages to help pay the way a little.

A friend of mine's son was drafted by an OHL team recently and he tells me he spends around $25k min per year for all the related expenses. The hockey tutoring business is booming...strength guys..skating girls...they all add up to a lot of money for people that are serious about getting to the show.

Reactions: diceman934

member 300185

And people wonder why people are losing interest in sports. Teenager interest in the NHL drops .5% every year. For adults it's .25% yearly drop.
It costs too much. Although I think some sports that are cheaper to play are starting to grow some traction.
yup, soccer and basketball are the fastest growing sports in Canada.

member 300185

A friend of mine's son was drafted by an OHL team recently and he tells me he spends around $25k min per year for all the related expenses. The hockey tutoring business is booming...strength guys..skating girls...they all add up to a lot of money for people that are serious about getting to the show.
The OHL is not part of the Canadian Minor Hockey League system.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Typically users get the hint but Diceman has always been the loudest and most opionated voice in the room who always needs to be correct.

So this only ends when Nova stops essentially, or mods step in.
Personal attacks now chuck how nice. I questioned your opinion once and now this.

You hold yourself out to be something you are not.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Personal attacks now chuck how nice. I questioned your opinion once and now this.

You hold yourself out to be something you are not.

Or maybe I posted that so now someone else has your attention.

This is a thread dedicated to Nylander.

Please take your sqwabble with Nova to DMs as this Nylander thread was enjoyable and taking a positive turn with Dubas and Willies meeting.

Now it has clearly been derailed.

So PLEASE, take it to DM or make your own thread, so this Leafs board can continue to discuss this positive day in Willie Negotiations.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Or maybe I posted that so now someone else has your attention.

This is a thread dedicated to Nylander.

Please take your sqwabble with Nova to DMs as this Nylander thread was enjoyable and taking a positive turn with Dubas and Willies meeting.

Now it has clearly been derailed.

So PLEASE, take it to DM or make your own thread, so this Leafs board can continue to discuss this positive day in Willie Negotiations.
So like I thought you do not like your opinion challenge as clearly seen by personal attacks on me in 2 different threads. Carry on with your hollier then thou attitude.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
cancel-all-my-meetings-someone-on-the-internet-is-wrong-11158757.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad