Willy Part XVI - The Zurich Summit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I was way too optimistic that we'd hear something happen by now... Shoulda known.

To be fair we don’t know when exactly they were meeting. Dubas apparently went there today, but it’s also 1:10am there right now, so perhaps they aren’t meeting until like 5am or 6am our time.

Though perhaps Dubas got there and went directly to the meeting.

Too bad we don’t know the details of the current MLSE private jet. We’d be able to find out if Dubas has left zurich yet :P

Reactions: diceman934

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I find it extremely hard to believe that Dubas went there and "no figures were discussed", and Dubas just went there to reassure Willie he won't trade him. It's just as likely that Dubas and Willie went there to bake cookies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The message should be simple. If you want to be here, you have to come down from 8M AAV. If you want to play this season in the NHL, you have to come down from the 8 mil. It ain't happening.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I find it extremely hard to believe that Dubas went there and "no figures were discussed", and Dubas just went there to reassure Willie he won't trade him. It's just as likely that Dubas and Willie went there to bake cookies.

And chocolate cookies no doubt!

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Flights from Zurich arrive between 3:30 and 4:40 pm. Maybe somebody can hang out at Pearson starting tomorrow afternoon and let everybody know whether Willie accompanied Dubbie back.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
This stuff about Willie needing face-to-face confirmation that he won't be traded is a real stretch. Most people didn't even consider the possibility until Nylander started pulling this holdout b.s. If he wants to be part of the team so badly, he's got a damn funny way of showing it!

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
And chocolate cookies no doubt!

Mmmmm...crumbled up cookie things...
tmg-article_default_mobile;jpeg_quality=20.jpg

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This stuff about Willie needing face-to-face confirmation that he won't be traded is a real stretch. Most people didn't even consider the possibility until Nylander started pulling this holdout b.s. If he wants to be part of the team so badly, he's got a damn funny way of showing it!

I suspect is more of an effort on Dubas’ part rather than the result of Nylander demanding it. JT spoke highly of how great Dubas in person presentation was - I think it’s one of the guy’s strong points.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I don’t buy this speculation that he wants trade assurance. It’s numbers.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Yeah I'm betting they're close to a deal.
I hope so but I won't lie, a part of me wouldn't hate getting a Pesce type in return. This team would be so well rounded. Not that it'd stop HF from getting desperate and moving onto the next thing. "Yeah but...what about your backup and #12 D? Stoopid leads fans".

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Most parents do not use those things bolded. Most parents are not paying that much. But even if you use your $10k as an amount, break it down for me from 5 to 17 years of age. Thats 12 years. Which is about average that parents pay for their kid. Are you saying that when little johhny was 5, his parents paid $10 k for him to play hockey? Rubbish. The number $200,000 for a kid in his lifetime is pure rubbish. I am sure some parents pay for those extra programs, but most do not.
The conversation was the player getting to the NHL and these players are not your typical players.

I spoke facts to you. At the highest Level people are spending a ton of money with no fund raising opportunity.
Here is something that goes on every day. Private skills teacher. 1 session in the Toronto Area would cost $400 to $500 per hour based on the cost of the ice per hour. Do your self a favour and check ice cost per hour in the GTA. Say a player had 10-15 sessions a year that alone is $5000 to $7500.

When I last coached in Toronto I had an extra 8 hours of ice time contract that I had for years. When I moved out to Saskatchewan I sold the contract as you could not get that ice time at the hours I had. Ice time costs from 5pm to 10pm in the city is almost impossible to get but cost at the time was $325an hour at a private arena on Dufferin St and I got a discount as a long standing costumer. That was 12 years ago.

The average minor hockey player (not AAA) in the GTHL playing Rep hockey A or AA spend $4-6k just in registration cost.

Our Boy Hyman Dad once owned over 80 minor hockey teams and registration was an average of $3000 per player and up. You got a track suit a pair of pants, socks and a hockey bag included this was over 15 years ago.

I am not going to write a novel but many team have a power skating instructor come 10 hours on a seaon or more. Off ice training instructor all manitory. Hell in Toronto the GTHL charges every parent admission to watch their child play hockey.

The $200000 firgure for a high skilled player is likely a little low when taking into consideration all the extra items. Parents are signing a contract with an agent at young ages to help pay the way a little.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

The concern about being traded as a possible stumbling block to not agreeing to a contract yet seems far fetched to me. Someone might have to be moved eventually, but there's no guarantee that's going to be Nylander to any greater extent than some others. There's more likely to be enough of a disagreement on AAV and/or term.

member 300185

The conversation was the player getting to the NHL and these players are not your typical players.

I spoke facts to you. At the highest Level people are spending a ton of money with no fund raising opportunity.
Here is something that goes on every day. Private skills teacher. 1 session in the Toronto Area would cost $400 to $500 per hour based on the cost of the ice per hour. Do your self a favour and check ice cost per hour in the GTA. Say a player had 10-15 sessions a year that alone is $5000 to $7500.

When I last coached in Toronto I had an extra 8 hours of ice time contract that I had for years. When I moved out to Saskatchewan I sold the contract as you could not get that ice time at the hours I had. Ice time costs from 5pm to 10pm in the city is almost impossible to get but cost at the time was $225 an hour and I got a discount as a long standing costumer. That was 12 years ago.

The average minor hockey player (not AAA) in the GTHL playing Rep hockey A or AA spend $4-6k just in registration cost.

Our Boy Hyman Dad once owned over 80 minor hockey teams and registration was an average of $3000 per player and up. You got a track suit a pair of pants, socks and a hockey bag included this was over 15 years ago.

I am not going to write a novel but many team have a power skating instructor come 10 hours on a seaon or more. Off ice training instructor all manitory. Hell in Toronto the GTHL charges every parent admission to watch their child play hockey.

The $200000 firgure for a high skilled player is likely a little low when taking into consideration all the extra items. Parents are signing a contract with an agent at young ages to help pay the way a little.
Yes, the players are the same. They start in Can-skate. Move to mites or tykes or whatever is in your area. Then they go to atom, peewee, bantam and then midget. They ALL go through the Canadian minor hockey league. Crosby went through the exact same system. Crosby and Mackinnon both went through the Cole Harbour minor hockey league system.

Where did you think they learned how to play hockey? Don't argue with me dice, I posted 3 links to the cost of hockey across canada. I was practically bang on with my costs that I listed. About $5500 per player, yearly.

member 300185

Sorry to jump in but I have been reading and it is very interesting.
Really didn’t know the cost is that high to play hockey and can’t beleive there are paid coaches even in midget hockey.
I have never seen a paid Midget coach. Some may be out there but I have never seen one in 22 years of minor hockey. And don't believe for a second on the costs he quoted. All you have to do is google "how much does it cost to play hockey in_____", You can find every province. Its costs about $5500 for Bantam and Midget ages, while Atom and Peewee are considerably less.
I just talked to a buddy who still coaches peewee and he just told me total costs for a peewee age player is about $1800 bucks.

Just think about it logically. Do the research and come up with your own conclusion. A little common sense goes a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad