Willy Part XVI - The Zurich Summit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It's like going New York to Los Angeles with a stopover in Edmonton. I mean, it can be done, but why?

Because you can't get direct from Stockholm while there's probably 30 or 40 New York to LA flights per day? It's more like flying from Halifax to Vancouver via New York. You could, but it probably makes more sense to go via Toronto.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Because you can't get direct from Stockholm while there's probably 30 or 40 New York to LA flights per day? It's more like flying from Halifax to Vancouver via New York. You could, but it probably makes more sense to go via Toronto.

Again. None of the major airlines advertise connections through Zurich to Toronto. They would much rather you go through their hubs than some other airport.

The only reason to go through an airport that isn't Heathrow Schiphol, Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Brussels, or Keflavik is if you're trying to save money (doubtful) or have some other business to attend to in a city that isn't one of the aforementioned.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
[quote='Warden of the North]Didnt we have enough plane tracking with Tavares over the summer?[/quote]

Was that an actual thing? I remember jokingly posting a flight from LA to Toronto around when Tavares left to come back. But it didn't go further than that did it? The Babcock plane thing was much more of a story.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
It’s been speculated, but this is new from a reputable source.

I would hope there’s an add coming from Carolina.

We are all spitballing including the media. If this is a leak from Carolina it's not a very productive one considering the radio silence the Leafs have done thing with since Lou.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Again. None of the major airlines advertise connections through Zurich to Toronto. They would much rather you go through their hubs than some other airport.

The only reason to go through an airport that isn't Heathrow Schiphol, Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Brussels, or Keflavik is if you're trying to save money (doubtful) or have some other business to attend to in a city that isn't one of the aforementioned.

I'm agreeing with you. I just pointed out that the comparison was terrible, and pointed out a better one. Nobody in their right mind would go through Zurich and wait overnight if there was a direct flight from Stockholm to YYZ like there and tons from NY to LA. It's more possible(but still unlikely) someone might go through that trouble knowing there's no direct flight. Just giving you a better comparison.

Reactions: Slot

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Was that an actual thing? I remember jokingly posting a flight from LA to Toronto around when Tavares left to come back. But it didn't go further than that did it? The Babcock plane thing was much more of a story.

I remember plane tracking something over the summer. It went from Toronto to Florida, did some barrel rolls over the ocean, then like back to New York or something. It wasnt Tavares, but it had the boards wound tight for a while.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
[quote='Warden of the North]Didnt we have enough plane tracking with Tavares over the summer?

Was that an actual thing? I remember jokingly posting a flight from LA to Toronto around when Tavares left to come back. But it didn't go further than that did it? The Babcock plane thing was much more of a story.[/QUOTE]

Oh when the sale of the Coyotes was rumoured there were multiple plane watchers. It was, intense, in a creepy internet way.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
I'm agreeing with you. I just pointed out that the comparison was terrible, and pointed out a better one. Nobody in their right mind would go through Zurich and wait overnight if there was a direct flight from Stockholm to YYZ like there and tons from NY to LA. It's more possible(but still unlikely) someone might go through that trouble knowing there's no direct flight. Just giving you a better comparison.

The overarching point is that its really strange.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Dubas gonna get us a top pairing RHD signed for 6 years at 4M.

I love Willy though :(

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008

I don't think there is a direct from Stockholm to YYZ.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

His cap hit is appealing but so was Larsson's way back when.

It should be noted though that his 50.14CF%-QOC would have been second only to Rielly among our defensemen. And his 29.3TOI-QOC would have been third, so he seems like an ideal partner for Rielly at right D, and he'll only make 4.03M over the next six years.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
His cap hit is appealing but so was Larsson's way back when.

It should be noted though that his 50.14CF%-QOC would have been second only to Rielly among our defensemen. And his 29.3TOI-QOC would have been third, so he seems like an ideal partner for Rielly at right D, and he'll only make 4.03M over the next six years.

He would definitely help the Leafs D, but this is definitely the “buy low” example when it comes to trading Nylander.

Would be interesting to see if the Leafs would pull the trigger on it, it fits nicely into the Leafs cap situation but very quickly could blow up in their faces, and that would be hard to handle in the media centre of the English speaking hockey world

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I don't think there is a direct from Stockholm to YYZ.

Sigh, I know that. The entire conversation is based on that. Please read it again. His comparison(NY to LA) does have tons of direct flights. Which is why it's a bad one. Flying Halifax to NY to Vancouver was mine. You could do that, but you're going out of your way and having to go to the US. Makes more sense to go through Toronto. Like it would make more sense to go through London, or Iceland to get from Stockholm to Toronto rather than Zurich. But not completely unreasonable to do so like it would be if a direct flight existed.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
*whispers* Pesce isn’t a top pairing d man and at 24 is as good as he’s going to be....

f***ing this, just cos a guy plays bigger minutes doesn't make him a top pairing dman. This would be as bad as the Hall trade, swallow some pride and sign him to a bridge deal and trade him later if you have to but not trade him now when his value isn't high.

Also, what team in their right mind would trade an under-30 actual top pairing dman signed to contract for an RFA Winger (not even centre) who hasn't even hit star value yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad