Willy Part XVI - The Zurich Summit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
*whispers* Pesce isn’t a top pairing d man and at 24 is as good as he’s going to be....
I agree he isn’t a top pairing guy, and if we trade Nylander for him we should get a good size plus back as well, but Morgan Rielly is 24 and getting better so the second part of your statement should say “is probably as good as he is going to be”

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I cannot think of one thing besides "theyll trade you if we wait long enough"

He could be banking on trying to trick Dubas into giving in or risk losing out on Nylander as an asset (as player or trade) by missing the Dec 1st deadline. Ie especially since the Leafs look primed for a contending run.

Won’t work though.

Reactions: Kiwi

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
If Im Nylander Im seriously looking at the current rumours and wondering how much merit might be to them. Then im gonna seriously look at what playing the next god knows how long in Carolina would look like. Then Im on a plane to Toronto that night.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It’s been speculated, but this is new from a reputable source.

I would hope there’s an add coming from Carolina.
I really hope so.

Brett Pesce is good and all, but not special at all.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Agreed. Never buy that Carolina hype train on their defensemen, I don't know what those people are watching. A few years ago they had the Justin Faulk hype campaign, then what a Rod Langway Jaccob Slavin is, and now even Brett Pesce seems to be so amazing.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I feel there’s nothing to actually indicate Dubas wants to trade for Pesce.

1. In LeBruns article last week he said other GMs don’t think Dubas is even considering trading Nylander

2. In the summer Dubas came out and said he was bullish on our d. It feels weird to me if after saying that he went out and traded for a Dman.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Some interesting tid-bits about Nylander’s father. Doesn’t make him seem as unreasonable as some suggest, though sounds like he was bad st choosing agents lol

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Agreed. Never buy that Carolina hype train on their defensemen, I don't know what those people are watching. A few years ago they had the Justin Faulk hype campaign, then what a Rod Langway Jaccob Slavin is, and now even Brett Pesce seems to be so amazing.

Reminds me of Philly and all their great defensemen they’ve got upcoming, or back when Cowen, Silfverberg, and Rundblad were Sens prospects and they couldn’t shut up about them.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Neither 'William' or 'Nylander' are uncommon names in Sweden. 'William' is a very common boy name, likely just a kid who got lost at the airport

Reactions: Pi

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He would definitely help the Leafs D, but this is definitely the “buy low” example when it comes to trading Nylander.

Would be interesting to see if the Leafs would pull the trigger on it, it fits nicely into the Leafs cap situation but very quickly could blow up in their faces, and that would be hard to handle in the media centre of the English speaking hockey world
I see this a bit differently, I think only the optics of the trade can "blow up in their faces".

Leafs are stacked up front, but lacking on the back end, so if they made this trade and improved the D while still being offensively productive, then it's irrelevant how well or poorly Nylander does on his new team. You can't "not" make your team better worrying about whether the player your trading will be successful on another team.

If trading Nylander for Pesce or any other D man makes the Leafs better now and in the future, than that's what you do. I think it's a fair trade straight up, but I'd also be very happy if Carolina had to add.

I want to see the Leafs win a cup or cups, the sooner the better. If trading Nylander for a D man gets them said cup/cups, and he goes on to become a superstar I'm fine with that.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I see this a bit differently, I think only the optics of the trade can "blow up in their faces".

Leafs are stacked up front, but lacking on the back end, so if they made this trade and improved the D while still being offensively productive, then it's irrelevant how well or poorly Nylander does on his new team. You can't "not" make your team better worrying about whether the player your trading will be successful on another team.

If trading Nylander for Pesce or any other D man makes the Leafs better now and in the future, than that's what you do. I think it's a fair trade straight up, but I'd also be very happy if Carolina had to add.

I want to see the Leafs win a cup or cups, the sooner the better. If trading Nylander for a D man gets them said cup/cups, and he goes on to become a superstar I'm fine with that.
Well you're not asking much, pretty easy to please.
lol
Just kidding man.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Anyone realize Babs would've never given kasperi a chance if Nylander didn't hold out?

This holdout has great so far.

Reactions: Confucius

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Would have been nice to get him signed long-term before the tryout with Matthews.
It's been 4 games with Matthews. Kapanen is not even close to a sure-fire thing. He's looked good no doubt, but a larger sample size is required.

Reactions: meefer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad