Willy Part XVI - The Zurich Summit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Pesce for Willie might be even worse than Larson for Hall.
Even if Willie does not improve and remain a 20goals/60pts player, it is still an overpayment for someone like Pesce.

Reactions: kb and freshwind

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Anyone realize Babs would've never given kasperi a chance if Nylander didn't hold out?

This holdout has great so far.

You realize Kapanen needs a new deal next year right?
I wouldn't call that great by any stretch of the imagination

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
You realize Kapanen needs a new deal next year right?
I wouldn't call that great by any stretch of the imagination
Hindsight is 20/20 pal. If kapanen continued his pace from last year you probably would be trying to chase him out the door.

Hell, let's just look at Johnsson, who hasn't got a real shot yet. What do you want to do with him? Sign him to an 8 year deal this summer?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
The only D-man I consider for Nylander are MacAvoy, Provorov, Jones. If we can't have them, then Id rather look for the BPA and not necessarily a D.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Even if Willie does not improve and remain a 20goals/60pts player, it is still an overpayment for someone like Pesce.
It's horrendous value for Nylander. Pesce is overrated and unspectacular; he is not a top pair defensemen and is the type of player who peaks early. Nylander will almost assuredly be a PPG player at some point in his career with his tools and career trajectory thus far.

Nylander's 5v5 points and aggregate points to start his career indicates he is in a class of super-elite players. Pesce is a safe #3 defensemen with amazing D partners in a defense first system.

This would be worse than Hall-Larsson.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If we wait two more weeks we knock 200 grand off his cap hit after this year for duration of contract(assume 6.5 x 5), if we wait until Dec 1 it will be 400 grand. That's not a bad team savings, weird little CBA wrinkle for in season RFA signings. We have the cap space this year, so really its to the teams advantage to go later. Just another "no leverage" angle for Willie's agent.

Mar 26, 2010
Pesce is no where near good enough to trade Nylander for.

Dubas has to find a way to get Willy signed and get him back with Matthews.

Kapanen Matthews Nylander

Reactions: saffronleaf

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I'm not a fan of low skill defenseman. Reminds me of blown Leaf draft picks of the past like Luke Schenn. Now, if the Canes want to move Dougie Hamilton...

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
We also can't get caught up in points when evaluating dmen. We need someone who can retrieve the puck, make a smart pass to get it out of the zone and/or skate it out. Points mean dick all with what we already have. I want a cerebral dman, not a rich man's Gardiner. Just because they have a lower point total, does not mean they aren't skilled. A prime Nik Hjalmarsson, who never had more than 26 points, is what we need.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Brett Pesce is certainly a top pairing guy.

23 years old, signed long term on a cap friendly deal, RHD, defensive minded but can still move the puck.

Anyone who wouldn't want him on our team doesn't know who he is. I understand the hesitation to move Nylander for him though.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If you are referring to Pesce then you havent watched him at all making that statement.
Educate me then.

What am I missing about him? Mezinger already said it - he's a standard shutdown 2nd pairing D-man. Take him out of that defense-first Carolina system and his partner Slavin and he'd be a fish out of water. He's essentially the Braun to the Vlasic or the Oduya to the Hjalmarrson. What special skills does he have that I'm missing here?

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Educate me then.

What am I missing about him? Mezinger already said it - he's a standard shutdown 2nd pairing D-man. Take him out of that defense-first Carolina system and his partner Slavin and he'd be a fish out of water. He's essentially the Braun to the Vlasic or the Oduya to the Hjalmarrson. What special skills does he have that I'm missing here?

How many points does he put up and how much PP time does he get? He is better than you are making him out to be; that i can assure you.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Would have been nice to get him signed long-term before the tryout with Matthews.
Ya, if he kept up his previous production we could have locked him up for for Connor Brown/Zach Hyman type money. If he puts up a 60 pt season beside Matthews, then what? Jake is the obvious first casualty this coming offseason...

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
How many points does he put up and how much PP time does he get? He is better than you are making him out to be; that i can assure you.
You do seem high on him. Be real here - do you see him being a shutdown guy of the caliber of say a Hjalmarrson, Vlasic or Slavin or potentially becoming that level down the road?

Pesce's a name that's been thrown out for awhile on here now, so I've kind of made a point to watch him when I can.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Brett Pesce has a 0.71 P/60 at 5v5 since 2016-17.

He's seen just 68 minutes in total PP TOI since then, but has still scored 42 points in 154 games. Which works out to rough 22.4 points in 82 games with little powerplay time and largely used in defensive situations.

Not every d-man needs to score points. We have that in Morgan Rielly and Jake Gardiner.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Brett Pesce is certainly a top pairing guy.

23 years old, signed long term on a cap friendly deal, RHD, defensive minded but can still move the puck.

Anyone who wouldn't want him on our team doesn't know who he is. I understand the hesitation to move Nylander for him though.

Absolutely, factually correct.

Reactions: rumman and Cor

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Wouldn't be a great trade, but come on... Hall is far more than Nylander will ever be, he won the Hart last year. It doesn't get any worse than trading away a Hart trophy winner who could have played along side your suffering Hart trophy winning center. They would have had the last 2 Hart trophy winners playing on the same freakin line! Instead... the got Adam Larson.

Reactions: Eb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad