Willy Ny contract thread part Se7en

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Your argument doesn't really work. Last year EV TOI.QOT for nylander was 31.28 and Ehlers was 30.63. Nylander actually played with better team mates.
I now expect you to drop you stance and take up the "Dubas hold strong" banner :D
Yeah, Hyman or Komarov on your line 80% of the time is absolutely going to help Nylander's points total. :laugh:

I think that tells you all you need to know about QoT as a measure. It's somewhere between meaningless and useless.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
5m x 2 yrs
6.2 x 5
6.6 x 6
7 .25 x 7
7.75 x 8

while he hasn't earned over 7 if i'm him that's what i'd demand to become a ufa at a later age thereby probably costing me millions on my next deal
If he has this demand then he wont be a nhl player this season and probably wont next year either unless the cap has a dramatic rise. Nylander has no power. He wont be making 6+million in the shl, khl etc if he were to go play there. The leafs dont need nylander to make the playoffs. He will ruin his relation with he current team and managment staff in order to get a contract he simply is not worth. Hos closest comparable is ehlers and pasta. To ask for draisaitle money means he is not intending to play in the nhl this season. Nylander will not be a leaf if he wants 7+ million. Hopefully he wishes up and realizes he is not a franchise player asking for franchise money. He is a great player but has a way to go before becoming an elite player. The developed players in this team need to buy into the team first approach and take fair contracts. We can afford max money for Matthew's and tavares but marner and willy need to take fair to discounted deals other wise one of them is gone for youth on the backend.

Reactions: dsred

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
5m x 2 yrs
6.2 x 5
6.6 x 6
7 .25 x 7
7.75 x 8

while he hasn't earned over 7 if i'm him that's what i'd demand to become a ufa at a later age thereby probably costing me millions on my next deal

That suggests valuations of 7m for years 3-4-5 RFA, 8.6 for year 6 (UFA), 11.15 for year 7, and 11.25 for year 8. Just saying. That's either terrible use of RFA leverage by the team or they're confident that he's going to be Kessel/Hossa class winger at minimum.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
It’s a strange phenomena I’ve noticed them on Leafs fan since they drafted Matthews, that only goal seem to matter when comparing players. Which is particularly odd given that Nylander and Marner both excel as playmakers first and foremost
I didn't say assists are useless. They are quite good. Goals are better though

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Nylander becoming a distraction on the Leafs if this goes into regular season will impact both on ice and locker room.

So far Dubas is batting 0 for 3 on contracts for the kids.

If Willy wants $8 mil range and Dubas is offering $6.5 then that seems like too big a gap based on each side of "fair contract" debate that seems like this might stretch out for some time still.

Nylander is actually the easiest of the 3 to get signed as both Matthews and Marner next summer will be in much stronger negotiating positions and perhaps even tougher contract talks.
I find it really interesting just how you manage to be absolutely as wrong as possible with every take on this.

Reactions: kb

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If he has this demand then he wont be a nhl player this season and probably wont next year either unless the cap has a dramatic rise. Nylander has no power. He wont be making 6+million in the shl, khl etc if he were to go play there. The leafs dont need nylander to make the playoffs. He will ruin his relation with he current team and managment staff in order to get a contract he simply is not worth. Hos closest comparable is ehlers and pasta. To ask for draisaitle money means he is not intending to play in the nhl this season. Nylander will not be a leaf if he wants 7+ million. Hopefully he wishes up and realizes he is not a franchise player asking for franchise money. He is a great player but has a way to go before becoming an elite player. The developed players in this team need to buy into the team first approach and take fair contracts. We can afford max money for Matthew's and tavares but marner and willy need to take fair to discounted deals other wise one of them is gone for youth on the backend.
3 of the 5 salaries i listed were well under 7m , so why the rant ?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Dubas is drawing out the Nylander contract talks to give GMs around the League time to show their interest in Will Nye. And to start the dialogue about what Top 4 Right D they need to give up for his #1C skills.

Nice work Dubas. Nice work.

3 weeks in to the season and a GM wants
more goals ?

Boom. There it is.

Reactions: dsred

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Yeah, Hyman or Komarov on your line 80% of the time is absolutely going to help Nylander's points total. :laugh:

I think that tells you all you need to know about QoT as a measure. It's somewhere between meaningless and useless.
Better for you to put your finger in the air and make a proclamation. I apologize. I forgot that I was talking to a guy renown for his precision.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
5m x 2 yrs
6.2 x 5
6.6 x 6
7 .25 x 7
7.75 x 8

I don’t think he’ll be close to those numbers.

We will see I guess.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I would suspect right about now GM's are making inquiries. Just saying, not advocating.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That suggests valuations of 7m for years 3-4-5 RFA, 8.6 for year 6 (UFA), 11.15 for year 7, and 11.25 for year 8. Just saying. That's either terrible use of RFA leverage by the team or they're confident that he's going to be Kessel/Hossa class winger at minimum.
break it down however you like but if i'm him i'm not giving up who's know how many millions by becoming a ufa at 29/30 which is what many people don't take into account

also why's 6.2 x 5 or 6.6 x 6 such a bad deal deal on our end ? is it you need to save 2-300 k per yr at that term or is it you just want to f*** him by getting all his prime years for cheap and then let him walk when we're done with him ?

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
People understand, you get long term security for giving up something in your UFA years right? That's kind of the tradeoff.

Reactions: 4thline

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
don;t know what he'll get , just saying i believe these are fair based on the age he becomes a ufa
I think the security of a long term deal means you might be getting paid less than market value in the last 2 years.

There’s risk on both sides.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015

This post bothered me so much that I took a shot of hard liquor in the middle of the day and had to go for a walk to try and calm down.

Apparently a 19/20 year old playing on the FIRST f***ING LINE with AUSTIN f***ING MATTHEWS is just being held back by his ice time and linemates. It’s just too much. It’s just to f***ING much.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
the leafs dont need william nylander? i wonder why they tryna sign him to a long-term contract then.

People love Marner because of his compete. Weird how Nylander gets as good or better results and makes it look effortless.

Obviously that means he doesn't care and needs to be traded for a RD.

Reactions: freshwind

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I think the security of a long term deal means you might be getting paid less than market value in the last 2 years.

i'm sure 30 plus million over 5 yrs is more than enough enough security without having play his entire prime at a discount

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
This post bothered me so much that I took a shot of hard liquor in the middle of the day and had to go for a walk to try and calm down.

Apparently a 19/20 year old playing on the FIRST ****ING LINE with AUSTIN ****ING MATTHEWS is just being held back by his ice time and linemates. It’s just too much. It’s just to ****ING much.

You seem like a rational character that fits right into this thread.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

You also get more money earlier in your career, as opposed to a bridge, so unless you have no financial guidance whatsoever that early expenditure can be invested and it's worth more than at time of free agency. Nothing in life is guaranteed, you want to secure your future with a long term deal then some compromise is in order.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
i'm sure 30 plus million over 5 yrs is more than enough enough security without having play my entire prime at a discount
So we are close on the 6 year contract.

I said 6.2 you said 6.6...

6.4 over 6 years...sign the papers.

Reactions: hotpaws

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
5m x 2 yrs
6.2 x 5
6.6 x 6
7 .25 x 7
7.75 x 8

So if we go 6.6 x 6, that’s precisely Pastrnaks contract.

If we’re going to pay 20/60 guys the same amount of money that a rival team pays their 34/70 guys... that really can’t bode well for us.

Is Nylander the only exception(for some weird reason), or in your opinion do we have to pay ALL of our players substantially more money than what the Bruins pay? And if that’s the case, how do you expect us to compete with them?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
break it down however you like but if i'm him i'm not giving up who's know how many millions by becoming a ufa at 29/30 which is what many people don't take into account

also why's 6.2 x 5 or 6.6 x 6 such a bad deal deal on our end ? is it you need to save 2-300 k per yr at that term or is it you just want to **** him by getting all his prime years for cheap and then let him walk when we're done with him ?
Lol "prime years for cheap and let him walk". If he's the player that's worth all this discussion his 3rd contract will be worth more than his second regardless of if he expires at 28 or 30.

The point of the breakdown is showing what those contracts actually value him as. Do think that a player worth 11+ in his last year is going to have trouble getting a good 3rd deal?

It's pretty simple

A1. It's overpaying in the shorterm without the long term benefit because we're paying an inflated average and not getting the years.
B. It sets him to expire at a time we can't afford to re-sign him and no longer have RFA rights = gone for nothing

B is big for me. Regardless of the overpay I don't offer him a 5 year contract, it's bad big picture thinking given where Willy slots in our lineup. We either need to keep him as long as possible at good value or get great value in the short term and then cash out. A 5 year deal does neither.

It's honestly like you don't understand the RFA/UFA relationship. Contracts need to include UFA years to raise the averages.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I have to imagine it would suck for Nylander to get dealt because he wouldn't go below 7. Going from a city that breathes hockey, where he is a key member of the core of a contending team to a different organization would be a pretty great opportunity missed.

I guess if it's 20% of your salary though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad