Willie D to Miss Training Camp After Hip Surgery (Will be ready for opening night)

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The link in the 2nd post was broken when I first clicked on the thread.

As for the quote ... if he's been dealing with 'chronic discomfort for a long time', it would seem to make sense that they should have been proactive about this early in the offseason, no?

Proactive may have been monitoring the situation and doing what was necessary to avoid surgery. Many surgeries are not fun and games that you elect to have or schedule in. Most physicians want to avoid surgeries unless absolutely necessary.

I could go in for back at pretty much anytime but the risks of the surgery are not worth it until the situation is truly dire.

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
Not a huge deal, but not insignificant either.

Interesting that they were content to monitor, but not proactively address the situation to avoid an in-season issue. Imagine the response if they were forced to react to this "rapid deterioration" in-season.

That's assuming it really is a case of rapid deterioration forcing their hand, and not another organizational example of lack of foresight.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas

Interesting that they were content to monitor, but not proactively address the situation to avoid an in-season issue. Imagine the response if they were forced to react to this "rapid deterioration" in-season.

That's assuming it really is a case of rapid deterioration forcing their hand, and not another organizational example of lack of foresight.

yup, let's start blaming roger takahashi like we did years ago when the canucks suffered a rash of groin injuries.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
If they didn't fire Bernstein this never would have happened :sarcasm:

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Interesting that they were content to monitor, but not proactively address the situation to avoid an in-season issue.

As I mentioned sometime monitoring the situation is the proactive thing to do. Surgery may be a last resort that you don't want to do unless absolutely necessary like, say, a sudden serious flare up (depending on the issue).

We don't really know what the surgery was so it's hard to be concrete about what could of could not have occurred. However, with severe joint injuries and back injuries it is often in the best interests of the patient to monitor and treat pain so they can continue doing ALL the things they love because once surgery is performed you are all but guaranteed to NEVER be able to do some things ever again (at least safely) though you may be pain free.

Last edited:

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
As I mentioned sometime monitoring the situation is the proactive thing to do. Surgery may be a last resort that you don't want to do unless absolutely necessary like, say, a sudden serious flare up (depending on the issue).

We don't really know what the surgery was so it's hard to be concrete about what could of could not have occurred. However, with severe joint injuries and back injuries it is often in the best interests of the patient to monitor and treat pain so they can continue doing ALL the things they love because once surgery is performed you are all but guaranteed to NEVER be able to do some things ever again (at least safely) though you may be pain free.

yup.

i've got a professional quarterback friend who needs surgery but he won't get it yet because he knows it'll be the end of his career. he'd rather wait until he's done playing. for now he just shoots it up to relieve the pain.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
[/B]

yup.

i've got a professional quarterback friend who needs surgery but he won't get it yet because he knows it'll be the end of his career. he'd rather wait until he's done playing. for now he just shoots it up to relieve the pain.

Yep. Obviously not a professional QB but I could have back surgery. Managing the pain and the flare ups is annoying. But I also know that if I have the surgery I will not be playing hockey again. My teammates would likely thank me for getting the surgery but I'd miss it a lot.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Kind of a bad start allready gotta say. Hope it doesnt effect us to much and the other coaches can fill him in

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Kind of a bad start allready gotta say. Hope it doesnt effect us to much and the other coaches can fill him in

Why should it, they players and assistants all know his systems. He will be watching games and practices.

I don't see any significant problems.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad