Willie D to Miss Training Camp After Hip Surgery (Will be ready for opening night)

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
The link in the 2nd post was broken when I first clicked on the thread.

As for the quote ... if he's been dealing with 'chronic discomfort for a long time', it would seem to make sense that they should have been proactive about this early in the offseason, no?

Do you know how these things work? You don't get to book the day you get surgery in Canada....I waited over 8 months for a surgery, then got it cancelled multiple times before I finally get in. There is a que system...which a poster above me commented on but it didn't fit the agenda.

Seems like another one of the ridiculous things on this site that holds something beyond their control against them.

Your post is an example of this in the extreme.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Do you know how these things work? You don't get to book the day you get surgery in Canada....I waited over 8 months for a surgery, then got it cancelled multiple times before I finally get in. There is a que system...which a poster above me commented on but it didn't fit the agenda.

Seems like another one of the ridiculous things on this site that holds something beyond their control against them.

Again, Willie will not be 'in the que' with everyone else.

This will have been done privately. Corporations worth half a billion dollars don't let their most important employees dangle in the wind over a surgery that costs probably $10-20k.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Again, Willie will not be 'in the que' with everyone else.

This will have been done privately. Corporations worth half a billion dollars don't let their most important employees dangle in the wind over a surgery that costs probably $10-20k.

Really? They can pay whatever they want to bump people off the list? PLease show me proof of this.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014

The Canucks head coach is not going to have to go through the same waiting list as us commoners to get a surgery. He will skip the que due to $$$ or the team's own doctors will do the surgery. In general, the head coach of a multi-million dollar sports team is not going to ever have to wait in the emergency room.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Really? They can pay whatever they want to bump people off the list? PLease show me proof of this.

You realize that money can buy basically anything right? And you are assuming Willie even has to go through the same hoops as a normal person.

If one of our players gets injured this year do you actually think they have to go on the waiting list to get surgery? Alex Edler will be out 16-18 months... 14 months to wait for his surgery and then another 2-4 for recovery.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
So reading up on hip surgeries, Willie is out until at least December right now and could be out as long as February.

I could not imagine a more annoying scenario. This is the perfect way for this team to start the season.

Now LinBenning can blame our putrid season on this coaching inconsistency and we'll get another season before these idiots get fired. :facepalm:

Based Crane

Mar 30, 2014
So reading up on hip surgeries, Willie is out until at least December right now and could be out as long as February.

I could not imagine a more annoying scenario. This is the perfect way for this team to start the season.

Now LinBenning can blame our putrid season on this coaching inconsistency and we'll get another season before these idiots get fired. :facepalm:

What are you talking about? Where are you getting this recovery time from? I'm honestly so confused as to why you're getting so worked up about him missing a couple weeks. HE WILL BE BACK FOR OPENING NIGHT. Does that clear it up?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

Of course they can. Unless you're born yesterday it's pretty well known fact.
Regular joes can pay for private medical care in Vancouver itself. It's not rocket science.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
What are you talking about? Where are you getting this recovery time from? I'm honestly so confused as to why you're getting so worked up about him missing a couple weeks. HE WILL BE BACK FOR OPENING NIGHT. Does that clear it up?

Google hip surgery, it's a three to six month recovery time depending on what time of surgery he had.

Last edited:

Based Crane

Mar 30, 2014
Google hip surgery, it's a three to six month recovery time depending on what time of surgery he had.

Yes the quote you provided stated he would be back by opening night. No where did it say 6 months. But this is beyond stupid to argue, so I'll drop it here.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
The link in the 2nd post was broken when I first clicked on the thread.

As for the quote ... if he's been dealing with 'chronic discomfort for a long time', it would seem to make sense that they should have been proactive about this early in the offseason, no?

surgery is usually a last resort

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
this thread is hilarious..

when this thread started i knew two things were gonna come up.

1. why do the surgery now??

2. health care in canada

once again, hfboards doesn't disappoint.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary

You are freaking out for no reason. He will be behind the bench on opening night or close to it. He will not be fully recovered of course but he will work around it. It really isn't hard to comprehend.

Iceberg Slim

May 9, 2010
Vancouver

That kind if depends on how you define "recovery time."

Total hip replacement surgery has a 6-week timeline for recovery to the point of resuming daily activity. By that point, Desjardins should be fine to return to the bench.

http://www.healthhype.com/hip-replacement-recovery-time-and-restrictions.html

But strictly speaking, he won't have completely healed from the surgery for as long a 6-12 months. But that doesn't mean he won't be back on his feet and feeling much better than he did before surgery. Just that his body won't be 100% healed until several months after he goes under the knife.

The 3-6 months figure is more about how long it should take before he can resume athletic activity on the ice, so he'll need to rely on his assistants and staff a bit more for practices this season (at least during the first half).

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

He'll be ready for opening night. Read the article. Not all hip surgeries are the same.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I'm sure if he was actually physically playing hockey instead of coaching it would be a longer downtime. Chewing gum or whatever he keeps stored in his cheeks shouldn't be too physically demanding once he's healed up.

On-ice practices might be a bit tough though.

The Jesus*

Good thing he's coming back. Where would we find someone that could roll lines 1-2-3-4 sequentially all game? Truly a rare and ingenious skillset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad