Willie D to Miss Training Camp After Hip Surgery (Will be ready for opening night)

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Perfect excuse for a slow start.

Then the slow start will be used as an excuse for a bad season. They tried but they just couldn't make up the lost ground!

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Do people think this gives young players at camp an advantage or disadvantage?

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
If u want a certain Dr todo your op, u cant just fly out and have it done. Dr cant do surgerys every day they are not allowed. The ideas thrown around in this thread are insane.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
How do you think athletes get surgery? Like I said before, it's not like Alex Edler had to wait 12 months in line for his surgery before then recuperating for another 3-4 months.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
How do you think athletes get surgery? Like I said before, it's not like Alex Edler had to wait 12 months in line for his surgery before then recuperating for another 3-4 months.

How long did willie have to wait once it was decided it needed tobe done ?

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
How long did willie have to wait once it was decided it needed tobe done ?

I don't know, do you? What does that even have to with what I said? All I'm saying is any Canucks player or member of the coaching staff is not going to have to go through the normal means of getting a surgery like you or I would. Professional athletes and sports teams have access to much greater health care than a normal non-millionaire person.

If you think differently than how do you explain what I just asked (instead of coming up with a pointless counter-question)? Did Edler wait in line for months? Did Demko? Did Virtanen? Nope, nope, nope.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Of course they can. Unless you're born yesterday it's pretty well known fact.
Regular joes can pay for private medical care in Vancouver itself. It's not rocket science.

Yep, a couple of private clinics are around: False Creek, Copeman, and Cambie come to mind. Two-tiered healthcare has always been a reality,
with the US border practically grazing Vancouver. But now it's within Vancouver as well, with lots of wealthier people to pay for it.

However, Willie D will be getting the same private, corporate healthcare that the players get. It's almost beyond naive to talk about "queue jumping"
in the context of a Canadian professional sports franchise.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
However, Willie D will be getting the same private, corporate healthcare that the players get. It's [incredibly] beyond naive to talk about "queue jumping" in the context of a Canadian professional sports franchise.

Exactly. I'm not sure how anyone could even think a sports team could actually operate with players waiting up to a year for surgeries. Even waiting a month is beyond ridiculous in the confines of a season.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
It can't be too hard to roll 1-2-3-4 from a hospital bed.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
On the bright side willie should be watching a lot of video and will be a much better coach for it.

Like father, like son .

It can't be too hard to roll 1-2-3-4 from a hospital bed.

Willie will just have a headset and watch from Sportsnet :laugh: .

Willie: Doug switch to line 4 of Dorsett Vey Prust , the Ducks have put the Perry line out.

Doug Lidster: Whats that you said ? You're breaking up Willie *static*. Horvat you're up!

Willie: :rant:

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
If I see "que" instead of "queue" one more time, I'm going to break something.

Just don't break your hip or you'll be in the "queue" as well...:)

On another note,isn't Sami Salo living in Vancouver again? Maybe we should hire him and give him a special role to mentor injured players and coaches...

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Good thing he's coming back. Where would we find someone that could roll lines 1-2-3-4 sequentially all game? Truly a rare and ingenious skillset.

Isn't this the hip surgery that many claim gives a Coach far more flexibility when it comes to rolling their lines?

Or was that Goalies?

Hopefully Willie comes back better than ever!

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Perfect excuse for a slow start.

Then the slow start will be used as an excuse for a bad season. They tried but they just couldn't make up the lost ground!

Meh, I don't that excuses will cut it. Last year this might have been a problem with a new system not this year.

There is plenty of time for him to get ready for the season, the assistants and players know how Willie runs the team and his systems, his mouth and eyes still work so he can get what he wants done in practice.

This thing is non-issue, not disruptive, wrong effect the season since he will be back. Good for the assistants to get more practice behind the bench during preseason games and that is positive.

ataraxia

Mar 15, 2012
Since this seems to be an area where some people really have no idea, I thought I'd share the anecdote of when my wife & I paid for private knee surgery (in Vancouver...), having already had an MRI. We saw the surgeon for a consultation the day after we contacted the private center. At that appointment, we were offered a slot for the surgery two days later, however we pushed it back a few extra days so we could prepare our home for my wife's recovery over the weekend.

I believe we paid approximately $4,000 to skip a wait list of ~18 months - when the public system surgeon's office finally contacted us to offer the consultation appointment, the date they gave was roughly a year after we had done the surgery, and you only go on the official wait list after you've had that consultation.

Alpha

英霊
Dec 15, 2011
You can have chronic discomfort in your hips and not require surgery, even for someone as old wise as Desjardins. The article pretty clearly states whatever caused his condition to worsen drastically over the last few weeks was dealt with in the same time frame via the surgery.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Since this seems to be an area where some people really have no idea, I thought I'd share the anecdote of when my wife & I paid for private knee surgery (in Vancouver...), having already had an MRI. We saw the surgeon for a consultation the day after we contacted the private center. At that appointment, we were offered a slot for the surgery two days later, however we pushed it back a few extra days so we could prepare our home for my wife's recovery over the weekend.

I believe we paid approximately $4,000 to skip a wait list of ~18 months - when the public system surgeon's office finally contacted us to offer the consultation appointment, the date they gave was roughly a year after we had done the surgery, and you only go on the official wait list after you've had that consultation.

Yep; there's a nice new private clinic (I believe) on Cambie that lets you skip wait times for a variety of medical operations including surgery.

I'm pretty astounded by the amount of speculating and irrational fear mongering from posters who I would normally respect.

1) You don't consider surgery the first option for a man old as Desjardins. Surgery is invasive and recovery can stretch a long time especially for the elderly folks and there's a much greater chance of complications developing from said surgery. I don't believe for a second that the Canucks "pushed it off" or whatever tin-foiled hat reason people are throwing out. They waited to see whether Willie would get better while (presumably) utilizing other methods of treatment. Clearly these methods didn't work and surgery was needed.

2) Chronic pain doesn't necessarily limit people to bedrest or a complete shut down of activities; I don't see it unreasonable that Desjardins was engaging in activities while actively treating chronic pain in his hips. Just because he was on some fishing trip doesn't mean he doesn't have a medical condition. Plus, medicine has come far enough that short-term relief of symptoms like celebrex are available for people like Desjardins.

3) Organizations like the Canucks obviously skip the wait times. There are specialized medical clinics around the world that sports teams take their injured players to. I believe, for example, that majority of MLB teams take their pitchers who need a Tommy John surgerys to one specific doctor renown for operating it. These players are a huge investment; hundreds of thousands of dollars will be spent to make sure they heal properly and quickly. I guarantee Willie went to one of these clinics as soon as the doctors decided to do surgery. Please don't equate Desjardin's supposed delay for "everyone waits in line in Canada!"

People get old. They get injuries that last, especially for someone as active as Willie. Get over it people; there's no smoking gun here or any suspicious activity. I wish Willie a fast recovery.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
Well this demolishes any chance of a cassels or shinkaruk coming out of nowhere and making the team.

I guess it's virtanen or nobody. I would actually go as far to say that this hurts virtanen's shot at making the team also, not good.

I fail to see how this "demolishes" anyone's chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad