Willie D to Miss Training Camp After Hip Surgery (Will be ready for opening night)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Weird timing for the surgery, no?

Yeah, it's a bit odd considering there were pictures of him fishing a couple weeks back. Means he did nothing for 4 months after the season ended and then had surgery right before training camp.

Hip surgeries don't usually come out of nowhere ... but I guess this must be the case here? Bizarre.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Well this demolishes any chance of a cassels or shinkaruk coming out of nowhere and making the team.

I guess it's virtanen or nobody. I would actually go as far to say that this hurts virtanen's shot at making the team also, not good.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Well this demolishes any chance of a cassels or shinkaruk coming out of nowhere and making the team.

I guess it's virtanen or nobody. I would actually go as far to say that this hurts virtanen's shot at making the team also, not good.

I don't think this means Willie won't be watching the games live. He'll probably observe from the press box (remember Torts didn't coach pre-season games).

Willie probably just wants to avoid standing/moving/working while he recovers. I would argue this probably gives him a better chance to observe these players.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
And the circus begins.

:laugh: This was my exact thought as well.

Bring on the season of DEEP HURTING. :yo:

324284_o.gif

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Yeah, it's a bit odd considering there were pictures of him fishing a couple weeks back. Means he did nothing for 4 months after the season ended and then had surgery right before training camp.

Hip surgeries don't usually come out of nowhere ... but I guess this must be the case here? Bizarre.

There are waiting lists for surgeries, and usually only athletes tend to skip the queues.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
There are waiting lists for surgeries, and usually only athletes tend to skip the queues.

I thought Canada had the greatest health care system? I imagine all Willie had to do was go through the hospital's drive thru, stick his bum out the window and hum O Canada on the way home to recuperate.

I'm glad this happened though, this team hasn't irritated me in a few weeks.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Willie is one of the most important employees of a business worth hundreds of millions of dollars. If they can't pay $10k (or whatever it costs - it's peanuts relatively speaking) to get him private surgery at a time that works for the organization ... that's pathetic.

I would certainly hope that this isn't a case of them not having the foresight to deal with this properly earlier in the summer.

Based Crane

Mar 30, 2014
Willie is one of the most important employees of a business worth hundreds of millions of dollars. If they can't pay $10k (or whatever it costs - it's peanuts relatively speaking) to get him private surgery at a time that works for the organization ... that's pathetic.

I would certainly hope that this isn't a case of them not having the foresight to deal with this properly earlier in the summer.

Honestly did you even read the article?

"Willie has been dealing with the chronic discomfort for a long time and our medical staff has been monitoring it since he joined us last year. Unfortunately his hip deteriorated rapidly in recent weeks and it required immediate attention," said General Manager Jim Benning. "Willie's expected to recover quickly and will be connected every day until he's ready to be back in person."

I don't see this as something to get worked up over. He is an older man who had surgery. This isn't Alex Edler having surgery on his back a week before training camp.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I thought Canada had the greatest health care system? I imagine all Willie had to do was go through the hospital's drive thru, stick his bum out the window and hum O Canada on the way home to recuperate.

I'm glad this happened though, this team hasn't irritated me in a few weeks.

The article was clear that there was significant deterioration in the past weeks. It seems obvious to me that he needed to get this done now. It would not have been a choice to wait. The timing definitely sucks, but health issues are unavoidable for us all at some point in our lives.

And, from personal experience, I know that with his and the Canucks connections, of course he would find a way to jump the que. They would have gone private, had their own team doctors do the surgery, or found a way to get a spot in the system.

Edit... LOL I guess I am not the only one who had that reaction to other people's reaction to the news

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
So it takes 3-6 months to recuperate from hip surgery. Did we just lose our head coach for 3-6 months right before the season or do we see a crazed Willie D wired on pain killers looking even more psychotic than usual behind the bench?

This ****ing team man.

:facepalm:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Out of all the injuries I expected this season this is near the bottom (okay I didn't expect this at all). So Lidster is going to be coaching through training camp? Is he the de facto #2?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Honestly did you even read the article?

"Willie has been dealing with the chronic discomfort for a long time and our medical staff has been monitoring it since he joined us last year. Unfortunately his hip deteriorated rapidly in recent weeks and it required immediate attention," said General Manager Jim Benning. "Willie's expected to recover quickly and will be connected every day until he's ready to be back in person."

I don't see this as something to get worked up over. He is an older man who had surgery. This isn't Alex Edler having surgery on his back a week before training camp.

The link in the 2nd post was broken when I first clicked on the thread.

As for the quote ... if he's been dealing with 'chronic discomfort for a long time', it would seem to make sense that they should have been proactive about this early in the offseason, no?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
On the bright side willie should be watching a lot of video and will be a much better coach for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad