William Nylander Value/Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
people on this board are driving me ****ing nuts. he had a great playoffs series last year, has been our second best guy at even strength this season, played against the toughest opposition every other night- and still put up 61 points.

that's pretty good, and i'm not worried signing him long-term.

It definitely doesn't erase what his done, but it does expose his major weakness which is worrisome for playoff hockey.

Nylander showed his a pure perimeter player who struggles when he doesn't have the time/space to skate with the puck. Also, he doesn't show the same fire/compete like Marner.

How many times was Marner run over with hits and he picked himself up and kept going. That's the type of compete/attitude you need from your best players in the playoffs. It took game 6 and 7 for him to actually start to compete.

The other thing which is concerning when it comes to Nylander, when Matthews was injured, Nylander stopped producing.

He most definitely isn't close to Pastrňák. Pastrňák goes to the dirty areas, crashes the net, heck I even saw him fight and stand up for his linemate when Coburn hit Bergeron in their last meeting in regular season.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
I hope Matthews bridges us, I think he is chronically injured. Till he gets that shoulder fixed(if that is possible) he is damaged goods. He sure lessened his worth by this latest playoff performance.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
My hope is we sign him for 8 years x 6 mill. However, he's probably gonna ask for either a bridge deal or less term. I guarantee it unless we massively overpay

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Yes hope Leafs boardmembers listen to .crybabies that have zero patience om playerdevelopment and trade Nylander to LA-Kings or Blues!

This +++ Toronto Maples Leafs have made tons of awful trades in the past, this simply has to stop. You guys are on the right path since aquiring Babcock and lot's of great young players including a good goalie, don't do anything stupid.

The Bruins may win it all this season and you guys were close.

About the Nylanders (father & sons) lacking of physical play and toughness, this is nothing new, a superskilled guy like William brings tons of value anyway, he is a very good piece in the puzzle.

Last edited:
Reactions: NCoRe and Kurtz

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Seems like a cap hit between 6-7M is around the price I'd expect for 6-8 years.

I would not be surprised if they go 3-5 years for a 4M to 5M cap hit though.

Reactions: thewave

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Not many players put up back to back 61 point seasons to start their career (only scratching the surface of his potential) and even fewer sign a lowball contract extension based only on a seven game performance like a lot of the silly armchair GMs in this thread are trying to do.

8 x $6M

And even then he starts to outplay that contract in the next year or two.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I've been very consistent on this stance, so this isn't reactionary.

Nylander has not earned a contract higher than what we gave Morgan Rielly two years ago.

We signed Rielly to a 6x5mil

Given the difference in salary cap, this would equate to a contract of:
6x5.5 mil

Don't go one dime higher.

If you bridge him, sign him 3 yrs @ 3.3 per.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Not many players put up back to back 61 point seasons to start their career (only scratching the surface of his potential) and even fewer sign a lowball contract extension based only on a seven game performance like a lot of the silly armchair GMs in this thread are trying to do.

8 x $6M

And even then he starts to outplay that contract in the next year or two.

He would never accept that AAV with that term. More like 8yrs × 8 mill

Mar 14, 2015
Well lets see if boston trades him straight up for debrusk
He didnt show up
Worse move to make is pay him with the hopes he gets better
4.5 bridge deal

"He didnt show up" and lets forget the rest of his performance last two seasons and only remember the last 7 games. Make sense.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Well lets see if boston trades him straight up for debrusk
He didnt show up
Worse move to make is pay him with the hopes he gets better
4.5 bridge deal

debrusk? please tell me you are exaggerating in that one. 43 point debrusk in 70 games? in the AHL where Nylander went PPG he managed 50 points in 74 games. He had a good series he is not a better player than Nylander

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Nylander played much, much better than people here are giving him credit for. LOL at some of the comments here, go sleep it off guys.

So much better. Unreal watching a large section of fans turn on this kid. There were hawks watching every Nylander play with "nylander so soft" pre typed into their text boxes. He made a play and took a hit numerous times and nothing was said but then other times he didn't "nylander baby soft" type posts for more than 2 pages. Far too many cherry-ites who believe you only win with connor brown type players, GTA and grit

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It definitely doesn't erase what his done, but it does expose his major weakness which is worrisome for playoff hockey.

Nylander showed his a pure perimeter player who struggles when he doesn't have the time/space to skate with the puck. Also, he doesn't show the same fire/compete like Marner.

How many times was Marner run over with hits and he picked himself up and kept going. That's the type of compete/attitude you need from your best players in the playoffs. It took game 6 and 7 for him to actually start to compete.

The other thing which is concerning when it comes to Nylander, when Matthews was injured, Nylander stopped producing.

He most definitely isn't close to Pastrňák. Pastrňák goes to the dirty areas, crashes the net, heck I even saw him fight and stand up for his linemate when Coburn hit Bergeron in their last meeting in regular season.
Willy competed in game 6 but in no way in game 7 he avoided so many hits and pulled the chute when he easily could have been first to a puck but may have been hit so he pulled up as to not get hit.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
So much better. Unreal watching a large section of fans turn on this kid. There were hawks watching every Nylander play with "nylander so soft" pre typed into their text boxes. He made a play and took a hit numerous times and nothing was said but then other times he didn't "nylander baby soft" type posts for more than 2 pages. Far too many cherry-ites who believe you only win with connor brown type players, GTA and grit

You are fooling your self if you think that Nylander was competing last night he was not.

Calling people Cherry-ites shows how very little you know about NHL playoff hockey. You do not win when players play like he did and it is a weakness that his coach had addressed with him far to many times to count.

He played far to soft and pulled the chute 10 times in the O zone when he could have gotten to the puck first but would have maybe took a check and people on here think we are going to pay him 6.5 million on a deal... when they stop shaking their heads maybe they will realize that he is far more likely to be signed to a short deal at under 5m and a prove he can be a NHL player who competes.

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
the funny thing is if we only had players like connor brown, we would've not made the playoffs because he was invisible for 85 percent of the season.
william had two points last night- what else is he supposed to do? forcing matthews to score a goal while he was sitting on the bench?

i love leaf fans and their little hot takes.

Leafsfan13

Feb 13, 2018
There is no way Lou offers Willy 6m for long term and I would of said this before the playoffs. I think it would be smart for Nylander to just take a bridge deal.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I'm not sure when was the last time I've noticed an NHL player more obviously scared to go to the corners than Nylander was in this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad