William Nylander Value/Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marner is better. Competes harder, is smarter and makes others around him better. Nylander played like a frighten child tonight.

Contracts are determined in large part by more tangible things - ie primarily scoring stats, usage, ect. And largely the two players have been relatively speaking, neck and neck (Marner having the slightly better play this year).

Nylander and Marner’s best contract comparable so far have both guys heading towards a 6-6.5ish million deal. Even if management does like Marner’s play a bit more, they’re not going to reward him more if they don’t have to.

Reactions: Walshy7

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
That's alot of dough for Willy for not showing up to play.
Actual value imo is 5.75 based on those others. He had a decent playoffs last year.
Ehlers is the closest comparison. Drafted one after the other (age), similar reg stats, same position.
Anything more than 6m is a rip off.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Contracts are determined in large part by more tangible things - ie primarily scoring stats, usage, ect. And largely the two players have been relatively speaking, neck and neck (Marner having the slightly better play this year).

Nylander and Marner’s best contract comparable so far have both guys heading towards a 6-6.5ish million deal. Even if management does like Marner’s play a bit more, they’re not going to reward him more if they don’t have to.
Marner had a much better season this year (and last) playing with far less.
For Marner: 6yr/6.5m or 8yr/7.5-8m
Marner will have another year under his belt to negotiate with.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i'll say what i've been saying all year.

I'd bridge him.
i would rather overpay for Will, having two-three more years of consistent regular season + playoff success than give him a big contract and hope. (and I said the same thing for Marner and I believe that Matthews will - like Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, Malkin due to his agent - will bridge us.

We don't have to fling money at them. we have the CBA at our disposal, let us use it.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Three subpar playoff games this series doesnt suddenly erase everything else he’s done over the last 2.5 seasons.

It's how much risk are we willing to take on Willy? If he showed the compete and hard work of someone like Hyman this series, but doesn't score, then he deserves the money because his talent will still shine through later...it's the "will" that you can't replace.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marner had a much better season this year (and last) playing with far less.
For Marner: 6yr/6.5m or 8yr/7.5-8m
Marner will have another year under his belt to negotiate with.

Marner had 7 more points, but Nylander scored more at even strength. Further, Marner’s line at even strength was also much more sheltered than Nylander’s was. The two players were near identical the season prior.

Marner’s agent may hold off negotiation for another season and I’d aree that may lead to him having a higher contract. However I suspect Leafs brass will push very hard to ink both him and Nylander (not to mention Matthews) and announce it at the same time prior the start of the next season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's how much risk are we willing to take on Willy? If he showed the compete and hard work of someone like Hyman this series, but doesn't score, then he deserves the money because his talent will still shine through later...it's the "will" that you can't replace.

I’d say there’s next to zero risk signing Nylander at 6ish million long term (ie the next 5+ seasons).

At his floor he’s a 60 point guy, and almost everything indicates his scoring will increase.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I’d say there’s next to zero risk signing Nylander at 6ish million long term (ie the next 5+ seasons).

At his floor he’s a 60 point guy, and almost everything indicates his scoring will increase.

I'm good at $6 for 5 years...not $6.5 plus for 8 years.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I still think he's a great talent. this series won't help him at the bargaining table though and that might help the Leafs longer term.

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
Three subpar playoff games this series doesnt suddenly erase everything else he’s done over the last 2.5 seasons.
people on this board are driving me f***ing nuts. he had a great playoffs series last year, has been our second best guy at even strength this season, played against the toughest opposition every other night- and still put up 61 points.

that's pretty good, and i'm not worried signing him long-term.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
One plays with Matthews, the other split time between Kadri and Bozak. Not even comparable.

It’s incredibly comparable. Especially considering lots of Marner’s points came from the PP.

None of this is meant to slag Marner. I do think he had the better season, but when it comes to the factors that will influence their next contracts the two guys are looking at roughly the same thing.

Reactions: WildWolfdog

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Marner has been the one driving the lines he had been on. Nylander has not done this and he has played primarily with Mathews and when Mathews was gone he was not productive.

Usage Marner has produced playing against the top players in the league.

What you are failing to realize is that We just played our biggest 7 games and when measuring the two of them one is a stud and the other is a dud. You build a team around Marner and Nylander has only left huge questions marks.

Nylander will not be offered any contact starting with a 6 not a chance he is looking at a two year deal at 4.25 approx per.

Marner is our best player and has been since Christmas.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Hard to get more than Pastrnak when that guy is putting up 80 pt seasons though

Also played with a multiple Selke winner and someone who for a large part of the year was the odds on favourite for the Hart.

Not to mention that contracts signed today drive tomorrow’s contract prices up.

ElbowLander

Jan 12, 2018
Also played with a multiple Selke winner and someone who for a large part of the year was the odds on favourite for the Hart.

Not to mention that contracts signed today drive tomorrow’s contract prices up.

Nylander plays with Matthews. Im sorry but that is weak sauce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad