Injury Report: William Nylander possibly exposed to COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
MOD EDIT - This is for discussion of the Leafs, the NHL and COVID as relates to it.

If I see anything about Bill Gates and microchips, youre getting a warning.

Looks like Willy is out of the lineup for a few days at least now. Hope he and his close contacts are all safe.

Keep your mask on and stay in your basement.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Contact does not mean that he is infected. Really too early to say what this may or may not mean for Nylander and the Leafs roster.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Weird that the Canadian division was doing so well for the better part of the season while the U.S. teams were getting ravaged, and now it is the complete opposite. Hope it doesn’t derail the final stretch here. :(

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Tavares having his best game of the season. They should try Nylander on the third line as a center. Would add some much needed talent to the bottom 6

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Fingers crossed he didn’t get it ... or if he did, that he didn’t transmit it to anyone else. A Nucks type situation would be a nightmare. The Brazilian variant that’s everywhere right now is SO contagious, and much nastier for young people, apparently tonnes of Canucks are brutally sick, getting regular IV fluids.

Extremely reckless/stupid not to cancel tonight’s game IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Weird that the Canadian division was doing so well for the better part of the season while the U.S. teams were getting ravaged, and now it is the complete opposite. Hope it doesn’t derail the final stretch here. :(

I don’t think it’s weird. It’s just a terrible virus and we are in a pandemic. Can affect anyone.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Just vaccinate the NHL jesus.

Let them pay for it if that's what it takes, I would have zero problem with this.
I get that the optics are bad, I don't understand why they didn't just power through that as soon as the vaccines were available. Here's some napkin math:

there's about 900 NHL players in a given year, let's say you need as many support staff as players so 1800 to vaccinate the league.

• You take out 1800 full vaccinations from the pool, so 1800 more people are vulnerable to get the disease that wouldn't be otherwise
  • to this point in Canada, we have about a 2.66% positivity rate (total number of confirmed cases by total population), so by taking those 1800 vaccinations out of the pool you're probably causing an additional 48 people to get the disease
  • by having Hockey to entertain us every night, in a country that's seeing 5,000 new cases every day, is it a stretch to think that they would save 50 cases over the course of a season to offset the damage done because people now have something that will keep them home at night?

And that's assuming that no one from the states watches at all.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
I believe most of the US based teams have vaccinated their players, so the issues will likely be Cdn focused going forward. It would only take 500 vaccines to cover all 7 Cdn teams with 2 shots per player/ coaches. A drop in the vaccine supply bucket, but it would be politically incorrect.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Oh crapppppp

Did this contact happen before or after practice? If before practice they might have to isolate every one until test results are available.

This sucks because I was expecting Willy to light it up tonight. That line was just gaining momentum too.

:(

Sounds like he had a lady friend that gave it to him

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I get that the optics are bad, I don't understand why they didn't just power through that as soon as the vaccines were available. Here's some napkin math:

there's about 900 NHL players in a given year, let's say you need as many support staff as players so 1800 to vaccinate the league.

• You take out 1800 full vaccinations from the pool, so 1800 more people are vulnerable to get the disease that wouldn't be otherwise
  • to this point in Canada, we have about a 2.66% positivity rate (total number of confirmed cases by total population), so by taking those 1800 vaccinations out of the pool you're probably causing an additional 48 people to get the disease
  • by having Hockey to entertain us every night, in a country that's seeing 5,000 new cases every day, is it a stretch to think that they would save 50 cases over the course of a season to offset the damage done because people now have something that will keep them home at night?

In here, no way. the optics will be as so bad that no one will ask for it. Why stop with Hockey, what about CFL, MSL, WHL......?

It works in the US since they will be available to anyone over 16 the next week.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

What happens to the players that don't want a vax?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
In here, no way. the optics will be as so bad that no one will ask for it. Why stop with Hockey, what about CFL, MSL, WHL......?

It works in the US since they will be available to anyone over 16 the next week.
Oh I agree, none of the sports leagues would do it because of the optics but I think they would have easily saved more cases than they caused by taking vaccines out of the pool.

I meant this more in a past tense, like as soon as vaccines were available there should have been 50,000 of them strategically allotted to the entertainment industry to give the rest of of something to do while we waited. In the grand scheme it would be a very minor delay in supply, but having the entertainment would make a difference.

Even for us I think we've basically jumped the shark at this point, but the NHL is probably still a good idea. If the Leafs had a Vancouver style outbreak heading into the playoffs and got relegated, think of how many people are out doing stuff instead of watching playoff games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad