Re-sign or trade for a solid D

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
We have a ton of cap space this year. If we signed Willy to a massive 1-year $12 million contract, how soon could we extend him at say 6x6?
$48 million over 7 years is more than fair and gets the long term cap hit down.
Willy would be unable to sign a new contract before January 1, which would be a risk (though less and less of one by the day, at this point).
However, the Leafs' qualifying offer to Nylander following a 1-year, $12M contract would also be $12M, so I'm not sure what incentive Nylander would have to take a 6x6 deal at that point. He'd have the chance to make half of that $48M you mentioned over only 2 seasons.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
We have a ton of cap space this year. If we signed Willy to a massive 1-year $12 million contract, how soon could we extend him at say 6x6?
$48 million over 7 years is more than fair and gets the long term cap hit down.

That's an interesting idea. Not sure if that would be cap circumvention though. Signing him to a 1 year 11M this season then next off season for 6 years at 6.5M per essentially brings the total to 7.1M per year.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
That's an interesting idea. Not sure if that would be cap circumvention though. Signing him to a 1 year 11M this season then next off season for 6 years at 6.5M per essentially brings the total to 7.1M per year.

I don't see why it would be cap circumvention but Nylander would be risking like 40M+ if he had a career ending injury.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I don't see why it would be cap circumvention but Nylander would be risking like 40M+ if he had a career ending injury.

That's why I said I don't know. It could be I suggested because it would appear that there was some kind of handshake agreement that he would take more now and less later. Basically you're performing extra-legal maneuvers to arrive at a desired result.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Well there’s proof. He signed with Zurich old for 8 mill per season.

Wish him well.

That would be the entire salary budget for two clubs:) Still there are rumored to be some $1M players in that league. He could be meeting some Euro clubs just to hear their pitches but he has no hope of coming close to NHL money in any other league and he doesn't dodge any seasons of Leaf control. It would be a crazy outcome if it happened.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

It would be close. If memory serves, I don’t think they can even talk about a 2 nd contract before the first contract is signed.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

freewilly

Dec 5, 2017
it's the same concept people mentioned for JT. play one year at 15 million (or whatever) then sign a new deal at like 7 ( or whatever) for the remaining years. he gets the same cash total, we get a better cap hit.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Only if you artificially restrict the evaluation period to the length of the alternative contract, weight the opportunity cost of the term forgone higher than everything before and everything after, and ignore exit strategy/ leverage.

Pay the minimum now for an asset and the max later.

Great strategy.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
it's the same concept people mentioned for JT. play one year at 15 million (or whatever) then sign a new deal at like 7 ( or whatever) for the remaining years. he gets the same cash total, we get a better cap hit.

Guess he’s not a team guy. Not willing to take that risk eh?

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad