William Nylander Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
They can afford him, he’s worth 6 million. The fact he is a moron thinking he is worth more is not the Leafs fault

You really think this is all on Nylander eh? Not an unproven GM using this as a cautionary shot to the bigger contracts about to come?

He was worth 4-5 last year. Leafs waited. He’s now worth 6-7.

Sleep in that bed.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
Pretty disappointing that he hasn't signed yet. Makes it feel as though there is a chance he gets traded. Thats unfortunate because i really like Nylander.

I hope we don't run into this scenario with either Matthews or Marner.

I wonder what the return would be for Nylander. If it is in fact his side just being greedy i hope we send him to some NHL backwater. Enjoy your money on a team no one gives a shit about. All kidding aside i'd take the best deal available and not care where he goes. Even if its Ottawa or Montreal. Speaking of, how funny would it be if we moved him to Colorado for that Ottawa 1st +?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
For a three year deal it seems reasonable to me. Kucherov was coming off 65 and 66 point seasons when he signed his three year $4.767M/year bridge deal in 2016. It was 6.53% of the cap at the time, which would work out to $5.2m today.

One or two year bridge, yeah that should be under $5m.

really mouser????

29 and 30 goal seasons ,,,willi 22g then down to 20g,, kinda YAWN if you ask me.

26 PO gp 10g 22 p

then
17 Po gp 11 goals 19 points

21 goals in 43 PO games,,,thats a money player,,,41p/43PO games again money

to put melander even in Kuchs class back then does not match up

so to base a % off a player that is far more valuable is bogus.

Last edited:
Reactions: socko

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
There are 31 teams in the NHL. Some of whom have a better shot to win a Cup.

The cap is real. So is his talent.

If he doesn’t fit on the Leafs, he doesn’t fit on the Leafs. He will fit somewhere else.

That’s just life. Not his fault. Not their fault.

You are drinking Shanahan’s Kool Aid if you blame him. Nice things cost money.

And each of those teams have more players who are earning less than they deserve than more than they deserve, which is why they have such a good shot at the cup. They know that, you know that, everyone knows that. Nylander wants to be treated like a star on the Oilers. Fine. I'd prefer he'd want to help make the Leafs better than being paid a premium for what he brings. This is because I am a fan of the team called the Maple Leafs, not of individual players. I want the Leafs to win. Hockey isn't golf. Individuals don't win games. Teams do. That is reality.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
It is his fault if he's asking more then he's worth. If his comparables say he's worth high 6 and leafs are will to pay that yet he's asking for 8 to 8.5 and not budging then the out outcome seems pretty clear.

So where is the info coming from that he wants 8 and the Leafs are being all fair?

One unnamed source? A rumour? Who gains from a rumour about the player being unreasonable?

There’s your leak or source of misinformation.

Nylander has been quiet. Shanahan has been a douche.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
What annoys a lot of people is that Will seems to not take hits or go into the corner - something that has been criticised by both Keefe and Babcock.. for years. He doesn't have to be Darcy Tucker or even marner, but you can't not do it.

If it plays like Jason Blake, you pay it like Jason Blake. Not that Jason Blake was a bad player...Hopefully he has loftier ambitions.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
For a three year deal it seems reasonable to me. Kucherov was coming off 65 and 66 point seasons when he signed his three year $4.767M/year bridge deal in 2016. It was 6.53% of the cap at the time, which would work out to $5.2m today.

One or two year bridge, yeah that should be under $5m.
Two 30 goal seasons, no Matthews, and does anyone really believe Willy is ever going to be Kucherov? he's a perimeter floater that avoids contact like the plague.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
He proved that he belongs in the class of player that gets between 5-7m historically.
That's a pretty huge gap.

The difference between 6m and 7m is about 10 points. 60ish vs 70ish. I will NEVER not bring up Pastrnak in these discussions. Just last year he signed for 6.6, after 34 goals 70 points.

Reactions: Kurtz

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Two 30 goal seasons, no Matthews, and does anyone really believe Willy is ever going to be Kucherov? he's a perimeter floater that avoids contact like the plague.

I don't project them to be the same. Just looking for any players who could be claimed as remotely comparable signing a 3 year bridge.

Who would be some other ELC forwards with back to back 60 point seasons who signed three year bridges?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
That's a pretty huge gap.

The difference between 6m and 7m is about 10 points. 60ish vs 70ish. I will NEVER not bring up Pastrnak in these discussions. Just last year he signed for 6.6, after 34 goals 70 points.

I don’t make the market. The market is what it is.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
So where is the info coming from that he wants 8 and the Leafs are being all fair?

One unnamed source? A rumour? Who gains from a rumour about the player being unreasonable?

Nylander has been quiet. Shanahan has been a *****e.
It's honestly the only info we have. Truth is you or I or anyone dosnt know what's truely being offered.
All we can do is use a rational thought process. All the comparables are there. Leafs can afford him at that price and still keep Matthews and Marner. So what's the hold up?
The only thing I can think of is a greedy agent, an overbearing dad and Nylander wanting to much.

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017

Nobody has been an asshole. You’re being dramatic

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
being Rookie of the month doesn't mean the Leafs don't make the playoffs that year. that's very random. what about the months when the others won rookie of the month? No one is taking away that Nylander had a really good rookie year where he scored 60 points.

Marner did not get a "free pass" people were berating him and thinking Babcock was lying when he said he had Mono (or whatever other illness). he also had injuries. but believe me when I say he did not get a "free pass". he got his lumps.

Good for Nylander. this should impact the Leafs in regards to negotiations why?
Nylander got his pats on the back for that. don't make it sound like that got ignored.

You don't need to lie. People were extremely excited and happy that Nylander had 26 powerplay points his rookie year and set a record. No one said they didn't care. What hurt Nylander is that the second unit didn't do well - which he was basically the "Marner" of that unit if you want to argue that. Marner being the set up guy for the #1 unit - got the praise. if it were reverse - Marner would get flack. if Unit 2 was as efficient as #1, Nylander would get his.

Again. Wrong.
Matthews got his pound of flesh. Again. whatever 'free pass' you think he got, was probably contributed to the fact that he wasn't healthy - to which a tonne of people flat out said then he shouldn't have played. His advanced stats (which I don't usually cotton to), even showed that he was actually more efficient than it showed on the score sheet which is why a lot of AS people gave him the "free pass" but it wasn't like. "Oh matthews had a bad playoffs. it's okay though.". a tonne of people called him soft.

Was he injured? No. did his stats tell a different story? no.

what the hell does come in soft mean in regards to Marner. Marner takes hits, and goes into the corner. Marner made every line he was on better, even when he was struggling (do you not remember the 4th line stint?). Did Nylander do that? No. If Nylander did that are you honestly sitting there and saying that Nylander wouldn't be treated the same way.

What annoys a lot of people is that Will seems to not take hits or go into the corner - something that has been criticised by both Keefe and Babcock.. for years. He doesn't have to be Darcy Tucker or even marner, but you can't not do it.

again. a lie - you don't have to make stuff up, to justify your point.
Marner got pounded here when he had his bad playoffs - and that was after having the shoulder issue and the mono/whatever illness and people didn't believe Babcock/Shanahan when they said that's what it was. Mathews got pounded when he had a crap playoffs. Heck during that 13 game streak when he didn't have a goal there were points where people were saying that he needed to do other stuff and not be a candy a..... you know what. Nylander gets his flack for not being physical enough and being soft. but no one took away his play vs. Washington, and his accomplishments, so don't make it out like it's "poor Nylander, no one loves him."

yet. he hasn't. what you (and others) should accept that people don't have to like Nylander* or qualities about his game. that doesn't mean that what they do do well gets ignored or treated by a double standard (which you've made up for most of them i'll point out).People acknowledge it, and celebrated it. What a good chunk of people (who like him or not) don't want to do is have the team overpay for it. (and I am on the record saying that banana crazy numbers people cite for Marner is way off).

But don't make it out that Nylander does all these amazing things and he never gets credit it for it (which is a lie), and everyone else has rainbows shooting out of their butts (because that's also a lie). For the most part from where a lot of people are standing Nylander brings certain aspects to the team, but Marner and Matthews impacts the team more almost every shift - which is probably why it's seen as they get "passes" or can do no wrong. but they don't get passes, and there have been some dumbo stuff said about them.

*or anyone else.

Harsh. I disagree with a number of things in this post but I won't call you a liar. And for the record, I thought his post was excellent!

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
You really think this is all on Nylander eh? Not an unproven GM using this as a cautionary shot to the bigger contracts about to come?

He was worth 4-5 last year. Leafs waited. He’s now worth 6-7.

Sleep in that bed.
You're dead wrong. The final year of an elc matters far more than the first 2.

If Marner gets 100 points this year, do you think anybody's going to say "well... you only got 69 points when you were 20."

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
It's honestly the only info we have. Truth is you or I or anyone dosnt know what's truely being offered.
All we can do is use a rational thought process. All the comparables are there. Leafs can afford him at that price and still keep Matthews and Marner. So what's the hold up?
The only thing I can think of is a greedy agent, an overbearing dad and Nylander wanting to much.

I agree. We don't know anything. Which is why I won't judge the player or team for their position on salary and term. I can tell you what the market says. And a fair deal is 6-7M. And they will probably settle there.

The ONLY thing that I judge is Shanahan opening his mouth and putting all of this on Nylander. "Me"Lander and creating (and not correcting) a narrative that this is selfish, spoiled player that is screwing over the poor fans and team.

Shanahan got paid and played in a non cap era. Shanahan broke up a teammate's marriage. He should not be making these outrageous character challenges.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I don't project them to be the same. Just looking for any players who could be claimed as remotely comparable signing a 3 year bridge.

Who would be some other ELC forwards with back to back 60 point seasons who signed three year bridges?

It’s a fine look at how much those type of players are valued at in those RFA years. You could probably take off 200k since there’s a bit fewer points and make it an even 5.0 x 3

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

oh please he has not.

Reactions: Confucius

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Every time a Pasternak scores a little baby Nylander contract demand dies. Hurry up and sign guy, we miss you!
Just a friendly reminder to everyone that Pastrnak scored 34 goals... that's THIRTY FOUR GOALS... and 70 points... that's SEVENTY POINTS... and signed for 6.6 million just last year. This should be stickied to the top of the leaf board in bolded all caps. It should be recorded and blared through the speakers for every person on hfboards. It should NEVER be forgotten.

How can the leafs possibly compete if we pay our (lol) 20 goal/60 point players more than other teams pay their 34 goal 70 point players?

Reactions: meng666
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad