Post-Game Talk: William Nylander Leads Leafs to Victory!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
well we wont miss him out there...kids 6'5 230 cant wait to see how he moves and how physical he is in the nhl

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets
2015 World Jr reunion tonight. Gauthier, Valiev and Reinhart all played in the gold medal game in Toronto. #TMLtalk
--------------------------------
Gauthier becomes the 18th Marlie to play for the Leafs this season and the 11th to make his NHL debut. #TMLtalk
----------------------------------
A skate boot alteration this season alongside Barb Underhill's mentorship has made Fred Gauthier faster. #TMLtalk

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
CR4MY_CUEAAWPuq.jpg

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
As are Tyler Biggs, however it looks like the GOAT will actually be an Nhler.

Tyler Biggs should've stayed 4 years in college... I think he wasn't mature enough to try to take the quick route to the nhl and go pro so quickly. His first year in college wasn't outstanding, but it was good. Lots of college players don't explode until their 4th years, hyman is an example. Frattin was kicked out of college, pumped gas before realizing he'd rather play hockey then hold a real job, so he went back to college and finished. Frattin might not be an nhl player but he got his looks and for a low pick he did okay.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Tyler Biggs should've stayed 4 years in college... I think he wasn't mature enough to try to take the quick route to the nhl and go pro so quickly. His first year in college wasn't outstanding, but it was good. Lots of college players don't explode until their 4th years, hyman is an example. Frattin was kicked out of college, pumped gas before realizing he'd rather play hockey then hold a real job, so he went back to college and finished. Frattin might not be an nhl player but he got his looks and for a low pick he did okay.

His ego, was his worst enemy, from what I have heard.., so yes.., maturity in all levels, was needed..

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
His ego, was his worst enemy, from what I have heard.., so yes.., maturity in all levels, was needed..

I think a lot of people contributed to that.

It was old management trying to show that they were really smart and thought that accelerating his path was the best thing for him.

He was physically ready. But that was it. He was an average skater and didn't have a ton of hockey sense.

He was improving very minimally over the years.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Here are the projected lineups:

MAPLE LEAFS

Michael Grabner - Nazem Kadri – Nikita Soshnikov
Zach Hyman - William Nylander – PA Parenteau
Josh Leivo – Frederik Gauthier – Connor Brown
Colin Greening - Ben Smith – Milan Michalek

Morgan Rielly - Martin Marincin
Jake Gardiner - Connor Carrick
Rinat Valiev - Frank Corrado

Garret Sparks
Jonathan Bernier

Injured: Leo Komarov (lower body), Stephane Robidas (lower body), James van Riemsdyk (fractured foot), Joffrey Lupul (sports hernia surgery), Byron Froese (lower body), Matt Hunwick (sports hernia), Tyler Bozak (concussion), Brad Boyes (upper body), Viktor Loov (upper body), Peter Holland (upper body), Leo Komarov (lower body)

Scratched: None

Not scratched, not injured, not in the lineup... has Lou just made Laich disappear??

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
I think a lot of people contributed to that.

It was old management trying to show that they were really smart and thought that accelerating his path was the best thing for him.

He was physically ready. But that was it. He was an average skater and didn't have a ton of hockey sense.

He was improving very minimally over the years.

I agree with you, that Burkie and boys made it worse.., but my sources go back to before he was even a draft prospect.. Some people get too many pats on the back, at an early age.. and let it go their head.. and then end up slacking off..

Not scratched, not injured, not in the lineup... has Lou just made Laich disappear??

LOL! Lou seems to have an answer/solution for almost any scenario..

To be fair, though.. They listed Komarov twice (start and end) so maybe that's where he was supposed to be listed..?

Injured: Leo Komarov (lower body), Stephane Robidas (lower body), James van Riemsdyk (fractured foot), Joffrey Lupul (sports hernia surgery), Byron Froese (lower body), Matt Hunwick (sports hernia), Tyler Bozak (concussion), Brad Boyes (upper body), Viktor Loov (upper body), Peter Holland (upper body), Leo Komarov (lower body)

*..and Froese has had a broken hand since the start, so Leafs need to give me a job in their Media department, so I can correct the weekly mistakes.. :) (and then I'll have one of you correct mine..) :laugh:

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Gauthier sounds like a 70 year old chain smoker.

Really..? Because I thought that Raging Bull sounds like a politican or used car salesman..? :laugh: :sarcasm:

See how that works..? I have no idea how you came to this conclusion..?

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
his point totals are laughable for a first rounder.

I've said it before. I'll say it again. You can't win a cup without a Freddy on your team.
I'd rather have him for his restricted years, than have to pick him up in free agency.

Yes, it's better to steal him in the later rounds, but if it were always so easy, then scouting wouldn't be a skill. What ever he turns out to be on the offensive end ... i still like him better than either Mantha or Burakovsky. ... and to be a bit more dramatic, he's a better pick than Yakupov. No, he'll never be Kopitar, but he's still a valuable part of the team going forward.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Buffalo's 2014 & 2015 Reinhart and Eichel have combined for 42 goals on the season, and are #1 & 2 in goals scored on their team with both reaching 20 or more already.

Leafs pups Nylander and Marner have 2 goals from those same drafts.

Buffalo's rebuild is a step ahead right now despite being the same draft classes. When Leafs youngsters are also regular +20 goal contributors these battles will be even more interesting.

Is this a joke? Buffalo used two 2nd overall picks to draft these players. Leafs had 8th and 4th.

Not to mention that both of those players are late borns with an extra year under their belts compared to their respective draft year peers.

Actually looking at the two rosters they really don't have much on a healthy Leafs team going into next year.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Well,

As of now there's slightly over a 50% chance we land in the top 3. So I'm gonna disagree with that cause math.

Well, since those are 7 players not 3 players many of which are not high 1st rounders, I'm gonna disagree with that dismissal cause brain.

horner

May 22, 2007
I've said it before. I'll say it again. You can't win a cup without a Freddy on your team.
I'd rather have him for his restricted years, than have to pick him up in free agency.

Yes, it's better to steal him in the later rounds, but if it were always so easy, then scouting wouldn't be a skill. What ever he turns out to be on the offensive end ... i still like him better than either Mantha or Burakovsky. ... and to be a bit more dramatic, he's a better pick than Yakupov. No, he'll never be Kopitar, but he's still a valuable part of the team going forward.

Agree

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
For all you who are always concerned about getting more players in every draft who are top scorers..., you need to really take a look back over the last ten years of Leafs history.. and realize, that the best scorers aren't always the best defensive players...

The Leafs haven't been so bad because they can't put up points... The Leafs biggest problem has been, that they haven't "stopped" more from going in their own net.. DEFENSIVE players are what we have been missing the most..

And please don't just dump this all on the goaltenders.. It's ridiculous.. If a goalie has a .900 SV % or better.., that means that he is stopping "at least" 9 out of every 10 shots... That's really a great percentage, if you think about some of the scoring talent on the ice..., at the NHL level..

The whole team is responsible for defense.., not just the D-men and the goalies... Although.., quality defensive d-men (more than just 1-2 per season) have not been present on this roster, for several seasons.. Now this is changing, with what we have in the farm...

So... A player like Gauthier, Tim Horton or Eddie Shack.., may not put up as many goals as some of you would like to see, but they WILL help to stop many more goals from being scored against us..

You need both types of players on a team at the same time, for success....

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Eddie Shack absolutely was a scorer. He scored over 20 goals 5 times and had 239 career goals. He was the 2nd highest scorer in the OHL in his final junior season. Tim Horton was terrific two way defenseman usually lead the Leafs in defense scoring perennially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad