Value of: William Nylander for an RHD

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Dumba is a legit 1st pairing dman and nobody is trying to pawn him off. You come calling for our 1st pairing dman well the only thing we need are 1st line forwards. Well, the oilers have two and one of them is arguably the best player in the league. The other is Draisaitl. No other player/piece the Oilers have is even close to either Dumba/Spurgeon (if you say RNH you’re outta your mind).

So ba’scuse you, tell Oiler fans to stop making threads about Dumba/Spurgeon when they know the answer they are going to get already.

Dumba’s a legit first pairing, Spurgeon’s legit first pairing, Suter’s legit first pairing, Brodin’s the best #3 in the league. Good lord you guys are worse than Flames fans for overrating your defence.

None of those guys fetch Draisaitl or even close. Nylander isn’t worth as much as Leon but I still doubt you’d get him either.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I hate reactionary threads, but I have thought the Leafs should be moving Marner/Nylander for a top pairing RD for a while. That being said, I think not just the past couple weeks but the past half a season has taken Marner off the table completely.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
So, with his pathetic non showing come playoff time and contract demands in play, what could he fetch on the market?

Could a base of Hamilton for Nylander be a fair deal for both teams?

It would hurt to lose Nylander for the leafs but Hamilton would fix a ton of their needs.

Um.........one crappy playoffs does NOT mean the Leafs should trade Nylander!! They would be stupid to give up on him so soon!!!

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Dumba’s a legit first pairing, Spurgeon’s legit first pairing, Suter’s legit first pairing, Brodin’s the best #3 in the league. Good lord you guys are worse than Flames fans for overrating your defence.

None of those guys fetch Draisaitl or even close.
Define "first pairing" for me. Because the Wild had more scoring from their defense than any team but Nashville this year and they didn't suffer much in their own end for it. I'd be happy to have any of Suter, Spurgeon or Dumba playing 25 minutes a night.

Brodin as "the best #3 in the league" is, I agree, a stretch, but I also don't know that I've seen anyone make that claim.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Nope. Either peshe or slavin or nothing

The only player on your team that could return Slavin in a straight 1 for 1 is Matthews. Otherwise, there is no other player that could return him in a 1 for 1 trade I also know both sides wouldn't trade either player.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

None of those guys fetch Draisaitl or even close.
Nobody has said they would. Re-read the post. Oiler fans come asking for them but they don’t have the right valued piece to get them. Here’s the very first post in the RHD to Edmonton thread (which specifically targets Spurgeon from Minnesota along with 1st pairing RHD from almost every team):

Minnesota would ask for Draisaitl. They have all the other pieces Edmonton could possibly offer already on the team (McDavid aside).

So basically no deal to be made.

So stop asking cause Oiler fans just got their answer for the nth time. Maybe this time it’ll sink in.

As for overrating our defense... that’s what carries us to the playoffs every year. Oilers should try it out sometime.

Reactions: RodTheBawd

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nobody has said they would. Re-read the post. Oiler fans come asking for them but they don’t have the right valued piece to get them. Here’s the very first post in the RHD to Edmonton thread (which specifically targets Spurgeon from Minnesota along with 1st pairing RHD from almost every team):

So stop asking cause Oiler fans just got their answer for the nth time. Maybe this time it’ll sink in.

As for overrating our defense... that’s what carries us to the playoffs every year. Oilers should try it out sometime.

You saying it doesn’t make it true. Blurting out ‘We want Draisaitl’ to every single value inquiry doesn’t make you look knowledgeable, it makes you look like a homer, and that’s the response for Zucker, Coyle, Granlund, Nino, Dumba, Suter, and Spurgeon. Edmonton has valuable pieces that aren’t Draisaitl - who as I’m sure you know only moves for his age-equivalent #1 defenceman. Every team can draw that line in the sand for two or three assets, it just seems to me that Wild fans try to do it with half the damn team.

As for the playoffs crack, if we’re going to try to emulate another team, it won’t be the one with two playoff series wins since 2004, I can assure you of that. If mediocrity is all you’re after, then just making the playoffs is a great benchmark. Oiler fans roundly blasted Bob Nicholson when he said in the media that the Oilers goal is playoffs next year. Everyone’s goal should be playoffs. Teams like the Wild should be aiming higher.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
How did he look? What line do you think he could spend full time at C at the NHL level?
he was bad defensively but put up some points (like 13 in 20 or something) and really looked like he could drive a line. he could probably be a low end 1C if he is more consistent.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
William Nylander, Calle Rosen for Dougie Hamilton

Leafs 1st, Josh Leivo, Justin Holl for Chris Tanev

Sign John Tavares 7 years x 10 million

Leafs 2nd 2019 for Boone Jenner

Jenner - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Tavares - Kapanen
Marleau - - Kadri - - Brown
Johnny - Goat - Grundstrom

Rielly - - Hamilton
Dermott - - Tanev
Borgman - Zaitsev

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Could try another 462 Kapanen+2nd+Carrick offers for every good defenceman in the league threads, I suppose.

Trading Nylander inherently is not dumb. Trading Nylander and not getting a legit #1, like the Oilers did with Hall, IS dumb. All depends on what the return is.

Oiler fans get really frustrated when fans of other teams try to pawn their #2-3 defencemen and spare change off as a reasonable return for Draisaitl - looking at you, Wild fans - so we do get it.

That's a giant mis-representation on how Oiler's/Wild trade proposals go ( which are almost always started by Oiler's fans).

Goes like this generally.
1)Oilers ask for Dumba/Spurgeon for RNH, Pick, something other piece that doesn't make sense on our end.
2)Wild fans respond saying the only thing that makes sense from the Wild's point of view would be to add to Dumba/Spurgeon for Draisaitl. Usaully this poist acknowledges that doesn't make sense for the Oilers.
3) that should be the end of it, but it never is because Oiler's fans get upset and start saying "YOU THINK DUMBA IS WORTH Draisaitl!?!?!?!?! BLRHG" despite that almost never being what was said.

Rinse/repeat every few weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad