Value of: William Nylander for an RHD

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
So, with his pathetic non showing come playoff time and contract demands in play, what could he fetch on the market?

Could a base of Hamilton for Nylander be a fair deal for both teams?

It would hurt to lose Nylander for the leafs but Hamilton would fix a ton of their needs.

Would Hamilton really fix a ton of needs? He's just one guy. Leafs really don't know him on PP. His team still regularly out of the playoffs. Now Hamilton for Nylander might be a fair deal. But does it really make the Leafs better? And the Leafs are very weak at centre with no prospects. So it Nylander might really be needed at centre.
He's an RFAS, why even worry about contract demands. Either way he's not breaking the bank.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
You saying it doesn’t make it true. Blurting out ‘We want Draisaitl’ to every single value inquiry doesn’t make you look knowledgeable, it makes you look like a homer, and that’s the response for Zucker, Coyle, Granlund, Nino, Dumba, Suter, and Spurgeon. Edmonton has valuable pieces that aren’t Draisaitl - who as I’m sure you know only moves for his age-equivalent #1 defenceman. Every team can draw that line in the sand for two or three assets, it just seems to me that Wild fans try to do it with half the damn team.
You're not listening. Minnesota's needs are young top 6 centers (do not try to sell me that RNH is that). Why should we trade our players if we are not getting what we need? We have good players at every position. What we don't have is a superstar to carry us. Who is the superstar that Edmonton has besides McDavid or Draisaitl? You do realize that Minnesota has zero players ready to step into the top 4 now that Scandella has been traded right? So why would we take our strength and blow a hole in it and not be getting a huge upgrade in return?

Zucker - 33g 31a (#48 among forwards) likely the most available of the bunch as he's a RFA (doesn't mean he's cheap with that scoring)
Granlund - 21g 46a (#40 among forwards) the most dynamic and gifted passer the Wild have. Wouldn't trade him.
Coyle - 11g 26a (t-#157 among forwards, missed 16gp) broke his leg earlier this year so most Wild fans think he should return to the 50-60pt range, especially if he gets back into the top 6. I'd be willing to trade him to Edmonton for less than Draisaitl
Nino - 18g 14a (t-#197 among forwards, missed 19gp) broke his leg, was misdiagnosed and he came back too early. Has excellent underlying numbers despite these. Most Wild fans expect him to be a 30 goal scorer when healthy
Dumba - 14g 36a (#19 among dmen) the most offensively gifted and upward trending dmen the Wild have, RFA but no one to replace him (not going anywhere unless overpayment)
Suter - 6g 51a (#17 among dmen) the rock of one of the best top 4's in the NHL. Has a NMC so idk why anyone would even ask.
Spurgeon - 9g 28a (#34 among dmen, missed 21gp) excellent puck moving skills, tremendous puck possession numbers. His offensive numbers put him at high end #2 without taking into account he missed 21 games.

Here are the pieces I like from Edmonton:
-McDavid (duh)
-Draisaitl
-Poolparty
-2018 1st
-2019 1st

The players I would be willing to work a deal around for any combination of the last three pieces are: Zucker and Coyle. Spurgeon maybe, but then we have to go find a 2nd pairing RHD (see how it doesn't make sense to trade a RHD now?). That would signal a rebuild most likely IMO.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
As for Toronto fans, I would just continue the course. The pieces are almost there. Hit up that free agent market and make smart money moves.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
That's a giant mis-representation on how Oiler's/Wild trade proposals go ( which are almost always started by Oiler's fans).

Goes like this generally.
1)Oilers ask for Dumba/Spurgeon for RNH, Pick, something other piece that doesn't make sense on our end.
2)Wild fans respond saying the only thing that makes sense from the Wild's point of view would be to add to Dumba/Spurgeon for Draisaitl. Usaully this poist acknowledges that doesn't make sense for the Oilers.
3) that should be the end of it, but it never is because Oiler's fans get upset and start saying "YOU THINK DUMBA IS WORTH Draisaitl!?!?!?!?! BLRHG" despite that almost never being what was said.

Rinse/repeat every few weeks.

You're not listening. Minnesota's needs are young top 6 centers (do not try to sell me that RNH is that). Why should we trade our players if we are not getting what we need? We have good players at every position. What we don't have is a superstar to carry us. Who is the superstar that Edmonton has besides McDavid or Draisaitl? You do realize that Minnesota has zero players ready to step into the top 4 now that Scandella has been traded right? So why would we take our strength and blow a hole in it and not be getting a huge upgrade in return?

Zucker - 33g 31a (#48 among forwards) likely the most available of the bunch as he's a RFA (doesn't mean he's cheap with that scoring)
Granlund - 21g 46a (#40 among forwards) the most dynamic and gifted passer the Wild have. Wouldn't trade him.
Coyle - 11g 26a (t-#157 among forwards, missed 16gp) broke his leg earlier this year so most Wild fans think he should return to the 50-60pt range, especially if he gets back into the top 6. I'd be willing to trade him to Edmonton for less than Draisaitl
Nino - 18g 14a (t-#197 among forwards, missed 19gp) broke his leg, was misdiagnosed and he came back too early. Has excellent underlying numbers despite these. Most Wild fans expect him to be a 30 goal scorer when healthy
Dumba - 14g 36a (#19 among dmen) the most offensively gifted and upward trending dmen the Wild have, RFA but no one to replace him (not going anywhere unless overpayment)
Suter - 6g 51a (#17 among dmen) the rock of one of the best top 4's in the NHL. Has a NMC so idk why anyone would even ask.
Spurgeon - 9g 28a (#34 among dmen, missed 21gp) excellent puck moving skills, tremendous puck possession numbers. His offensive numbers put him at high end #2 without taking into account he missed 21 games.

Here are the pieces I like from Edmonton:
-McDavid (duh)
-Draisaitl
-Poolparty
-2018 1st
-2019 1st

The players I would be willing to work a deal around for any combination of the last three pieces are: Zucker and Coyle. Spurgeon maybe, but then we have to go find a 2nd pairing RHD (see how it doesn't make sense to trade a RHD now?). That would signal a rebuild most likely IMO.

This all sounds eerily similar to every thread started by Oilers fans looking for one of Carolina's young D.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I think Dumba's probably the last player the Wild should trade outside of Granlund, but Nylander's a name that would make me reconsider that. However, one of the Wild's ongoing problems is guys that do well in the regular season but can't push through and score in the playoffs, so if Nylander is struggling with that it might be a tiny red-flag. He's 21 though, so I do emphasize "tiny."

Nylander + 1st + prospect is too much for Dumba though; I assume this is the frustration talking. And frankly there are probably better ways for both teams to address their needs.
Your gonna have to over pay a bit to pry a player like DUMBA from Wild so that's why i offered 1st . Prospect to the leafs is really nothing lol we have so many pretty good prospects right now that losing 1 doesn't hurt us at all. our 1st is 25thish over all so its not like we are way up there in the draft and DUMBA is a top paring D man

Reactions: Coatsy79

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Could try another 462 Kapanen+2nd+Carrick offers for every good defenceman in the league threads, I suppose.

Trading Nylander inherently is not dumb. Trading Nylander and not getting a legit #1, like the Oilers did with Hall, IS dumb. All depends on what the return is.

Oiler fans get really frustrated when fans of other teams try to pawn their #2-3 defencemen and spare change off as a reasonable return for Draisaitl - looking at you, Wild fans - so we do get it.
Ya but to get a legit #1 it would take Marner .Nylander alone isn't enough to get one.

Reactions: Snowman

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
William Nylander, Calle Rosen for Dougie Hamilton

Leafs 1st, Josh Leivo, Justin Holl for Chris Tanev

Sign John Tavares 7 years x 10 million

Leafs 2nd 2019 for Boone Jenner

Jenner - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Tavares - Kapanen
Marleau - - Kadri - - Brown
Johnny - Goat - Grundstrom

Rielly - - Hamilton
Dermott - - Tanev
Borgman - Zaitsev

Hope this is a joke, leafs can't afford Hamilton, Tanev, Jenner and JT lol.

Kind of overkill, no? Only need 1 RHD, Hainsey is fine as a stopgap until Liljegren is ready. Would rather go after Tanev and keep Nylander. Hamilton is just more of what they have already in Rielly and Gardiner imo.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
It isn't a sophomore slump though. I used to attend Marlies games regularly and noticed in the playoffs a couple of years ago that Nylander all but disappeared and played poorly defensively. I excused it at the time, but it now seems to be a trend.
You mean when he was an 19 year old playing in the AHL putting up 11 points in 14 games played? :huh:

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
lol only on HF boards you are having a sophomore slump hitting 61pts as a 21 year old, People expect WAY too much from players... not every great player is a PPG, if it was the case every game would finish 9-7, i'd take Nylander on the Habs any time of the day.
tbh, if you'd watch Nylander play in his 1st season, he hasn't looked as confident as he used too. I obviously agree with you in a sense that 61 pts is amazing for a 21 year old winger, but Willy has shown insane potential which is why he's in all these trade offers for a #1D. I think you'll see him turn into a 70-80pt player soon (if he can move forward from his rookie season) and player with more intensity. He has just been floating around this season and still managed to score 61 pts this season which is impressive

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Your gonna have to over pay a bit to pry a player like DUMBA from Wild so that's why i offered 1st . Prospect to the leafs is really nothing lol we have so many pretty good prospects right now that losing 1 doesn't hurt us at all. our 1st is 25thish over all so its not like we are way up there in the draft and DUMBA is a top paring D man
No offense, but I think we're all used to TOR's 1st being a high one. You're right that a 25th oa is nice and all, but not something to hold up a deal that you want. I would be interested in that deal, but then the Wild would be out trying to trade for a RHD the next day. Still think it might be worth it....Brodin can slide over to RD.

I don't know that Dumba is the type of Dman that TO really needs, though. Gardiner has his faults, but he scores tons of points, and Rielly has good offense, too. Aren't you better getting off a Larsson/Hjalmarsson type guy?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I admit, it's weird to think that Toronto's 1st will be lower than ours this year. I dunno... you're definitely applying the correct kind of leverage here.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Trading Nylander or any of the big 3 would be profoundly stupid you don't need to give up a core piece to get a top 4 D man, Edmonton did that and look where they are, in the lottery again

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
William Nylander + Nikita Zaitsev + 2018 1st Round Pick

For

Drew Doughty + Kyle Clifford

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
William Nylander + Nikita Zaitsev + 2018 1st Round Pick

For

Drew Doughty + Kyle Clifford

It's ok, but I'd rather just take my chances in signing Doughty or Karlsson instead of giving up on Willie.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Flames trading Hamilton for Nylander would be so bad for them. Would go down as being one of the most lopsided trades ever. Hamilton will not be a Maple Leaf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad