Tribute William Nylander Discussion Thread: Ya Gotta Be Blessed Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Nylander not playing against both Anaheim and Montreal really showed how much we miss his game.

He is a valuable player, one that is an untouchable on the Leafs in my eyes. I would make him more of an untouchable then Marner to be honest. Marner's hotdog play is just crazy. Looks nice when he finishes things off, but way to many give aways and way to predictive when it comes to his pass first mentality. The league has figured him out which in turn is costing the Leafs way too often.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Nylander not playing against both Anaheim and Montreal really showed how much we miss his game.

He is a valuable player, one that is an untouchable on the Leafs in my eyes. I would make him more of an untouchable then Marner to be honest. Marner's hotdog play is just crazy. Looks nice when he finishes things off, but way to many give aways and way to predictive when it comes to his pass first mentality. The league has figured him out which in turn is costing the Leafs way too often.
Marner is producing at a 3. 6 points per 60 minutes this year and that's the highest of his career so far and this is a year with some injuries and missing linemates and where he just looked "off" for nearly the entire 1st quarter of the season. Even with the season Matthews is having he's still a bit behind Marner at 3. 5 points/60 (Nylander is at 3. 0 although add some context in his case since Matthews and Marner play together). So I don't know if the league has "figured him out" or if there is really anything to figure out in hockey where good players produce their entire career. Not something I would be worried about especially since Marner's style is to react to what the other team is doing, as opposed to flying up the ice like a power player and trying to force the issue. Which means Marner is the one who has the final say in the matter and there really isn't anything teams can do to stop that.

Last edited:
Reactions: cipher and ACC1224

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Way too many points too. That hotdogger has a real nerve being the top point scorer in the league over the last 3 months. But he really has never been good as is evidenced by people like you who never has a good thing to say about him.

Reactions: cipher and ACC1224

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Marner is producing at a 3. 6 points per 60 minutes this year and that's the highest of his career so far and this is a year with some injuries and missing linemates and where he just looked "off" for nearly the entire 1st quarter of the season. Even with the season Matthews is having he's still a bit behind Marner at 3. 5 points/60 (Nylander is at 3. 0 although add some context in his case since Matthews and Marner play together). So I don't know if the league has "figured him out" or if there is really anything to figure out in hockey where good players produce their entire career. Not something I would be worried about especially since Marner's style is to react to what the other team is doing, as opposed to flying up the ice like a power player and trying to force the issue. Which means Marner is the one who has the final say in the matter and there really isn't anything teams can do to stop that.

Marner has 1 less EVP than Nylander. Marner is +-0 while scoring at a rate of 1.2+ ppg. (Nylander is also at +-0 and Tavares is -6). Mathews is +13 which seems more in line with a high scoring player. Marner got 2 GWG while the rest of the big 4 got 4 GWG each.

Marner is a gem but his PPP is hiding a rather disappointing season in even strength which most people are saying while watching. His stats looks great at a distance but he kind of fail the eye test.

Reactions: stickty111

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014

I disagree IMO. Marner is out-producing Nylander in less games, is better defensively and can play in any situation including PK. That's more valuable.

Untouchables rank IMO:
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Tavares
Andersen
Rielly
etc.

Reactions: ACC1224

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Did you forget he missed time?

He's 16th in ES P/60, highest on the team, with much more sustainable metrics than many above him.

He more often than not looks rather poor on ES (for being Marner). Cant find ES P/60 at NHL.com.

As I see it, Tavares, Riley and Marner arent being consistent this season. This is would be a much bigger problem if the power play wasn't so good. There is room for improvement.

Reactions: stickty111

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Marner has 1 less EVP than Nylander. Marner is +-0 while scoring at a rate of 1.2+ ppg. (Nylander is also at +-0 and Tavares is -6). Mathews is +13 which seems more in line with a high scoring player. Marner got 2 GWG while the rest of the big 4 got 4 GWG each.

Marner is a gem but his PPP is hiding a rather disappointing season in even strength which most people are saying while watching. His stats looks great at a distance but he kind of fail the eye test.
his ev points annualized are higher than Nylanders total point career high but dont let the facts get it the way of your hot take.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
He more often than not looks rather poor on ES (for being Marner).
This is just a result of expectations being too high. People don't realize that the same things our players go through, other players on other teams go through.
This is would be a much bigger problem if the power play wasn't so good.
Leafs are the 4th highest scoring team in the league at ES.
There is room for improvement.
There is always room for improvement, for everybody. These aren't finished products at 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad