Tribute William Nylander Discussion Thread: Ya Gotta Be Blessed Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Debatable. Marner has a slightly better xGA/60 this season but Nylander rates better in CA/60, SCA/60, and HDCA/60. Matthews has also been very good defensively this year and they also have Hyman on the line who we all know is a defensive stud. Nylander has Tavares who looks a step slower this year and a revolving door for LW.

They've kinda alternated in the previous seasons... Marner was one of the worst defensively last year while Nylander was about average, but Nylander was more sheltered due to coming back mid-season and struggling. In 17-18, Marner was better, but he was also more sheltered playing lower in the lineup for the first half of the season or so until he joined Kadri's line permanently.

As rookies, Nylander's numbers were much better. Over the 4 cumulative seasons, Nylander ends up rating better overall, but they've obviously both grown as players. Nylander also faced harder competition his first two seasons than Marner did.

IMO Nylander has better positioning and natural defensive awareness, and is also less prone to turnovers while being stronger on the puck and boards. Marner plays better 'active' defense and is good at forcing turnovers from the other team.
Should be a mandatory read when someone starts the 'who is better defensively' argument.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Nylander was downright atrocious.

I honestly screamed get him off the ice. Might be the first time. Pathetic display.

Not sure he was ready to be back clearly. I have been signing his praises but not tonight. The Willy from before the illness was fantastic.

how can anyone live their life if they over react this badly to something like this? Atrocious? nope. Actually not one leaf last night was atrocious for the first time in quite a while. Maybe dermott with that atrocious back pass to Campbell that Campbell clearly had no idea was going to happen

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Or coming back from a flu is tough and takes time to get your game back. Lets relax.

he wasnt even close to atrocious Stickty no excuses needed he was average at worst, and compared with how he has been doing average is noticeably less damaging. But atrocious? oh man

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
he wasnt even close to atrocious Stickty no excuses needed he was average at worst, and compared with how he has been doing average is noticeably less damaging. But atrocious? oh man
Agreed he wasn't bad, but was off. Thats a huge difference from being terrible.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think Nylander played better once he was back on the line with Tavares.
Both lines were revitalized. I'm not sure why but Marner tends to end up in Nylander's shadow when they are on the same line. He barely touched the puck before the change. Meanwhile, the Tavares line was nowhere near as good as they were last game. It really was an immediate impact when we went back to the original lines.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
William Stealander ties his dad's single season high for goals at 26.

He's back to himself and his line is doing well.

Would like to see:
Nylander - Tavares - Kapanen
Not this year but at least once in his career he will hit 40.

It's too bad he got the flu. He really was rolling out there. Still doing well but over that stretch he was a man on a mission.

Reactions: saffronleaf

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
A entirely different and more confident player since the coaching change.

There really isnt that big of a gap between him and Marner.

Both great young wingers.
Only in contracts :sarcasm:

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
i thought the flu really did a number on him
he looked tired af for like 2games after coming back
i hope we give another chance to the Big3 line
maybe it works if next time

but I really love the chemistry JT and William have

i hated the broadcast to be honest
i really dunno whats the medias problem with William???

the disrespect of showing his instagram pictures instead of his nice goals in the replay

why tho?
never seen this happen with another player!

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
i thought the flu really did a number on him
he looked tired af for like 2games after coming back
i hope we give another chance to the Big3 line
maybe it works if next time

but I really love the chemistry JT and William have

i hated the broadcast to be honest
i really dunno whats the medias problem with William???

the disrespect of showing his instagram pictures instead of his nice goals in the replay

why tho?
never seen this happen with another player!
Think they are just jealous of him. Or they are trying to attract more female viewers.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
this females are into hockey because of the looks is so sexist and such ok boomer thing

Women like Christiano Ronaldo WAY more than they like Messi.

Why do you think that is?

A lot of men watch women's sports mainly due to beautiful women.

I mean, why would anyone watch womens' beach-volley if not for the slim suits of beautiful athletic women.

Same goes for women who watch men's sports. How many male athletes who are ugly have a lot of women fans?

My guess is that Mike Ricci wasn't too popular with women, same goes for Theo Fleury.

Men are sexist, so are women.

Man kind is sexist, it's in our nature and there is nothing wrong with appreciating the other gender due to their looks.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Women like Christiano Ronaldo WAY more than they like Messi.

Why do you think that is?

A lot of men watch women's sports mainly due to beautiful women.

I mean, why would anyone watch womens' beach-volley if not for the slim suits of beautiful athletic women.

Same goes for women who watch men's sports. How many male athletes who are ugly have a lot of women fans?

My guess is that Mike Ricci wasn't too popular with women, same goes for Theo Fleury.

Men are sexist, so are women.

Man kind is sexist, it's in our nature and there is nothing wrong with appreciating the other gender due to their looks.
I watch women's tennis just for the grunts and short skirts. :naughty:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Oh brother. There is very little gap in Nylanders projected points to 2nd year Marners points. But let's pretend the gap is small to make a few on this board feel good about their past prognostications.

This board never surprises me.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018

Yup Nylander has outplayed Marner this year the most consistent player this year. Just tells you how great of a year he is having.

Reactions: stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad