LeBrun: William Karlsson nearing 8 year deal with Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
What a crazy career. Two seasons ago he was 24 and there were questions of he was ever going to be more than a 4th liner. Now he’s 26 and will have a career earning of over 50M if he doesn’t get bought out. He deserves it too.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Whatever. The assets they have to move have value, meaning multiple teams will want players like Miller and Eakin, so no, they won’t get raked over the coals, they’ll take the best offer.

Yes they will get raked over the coals, trust me.

The salary cap this year is lesser than expected and very team last year right at the cap toronto,,Pittsburgh, Vegas , Tampa are all needing to shed cap , then you have teams who have limited cap space and need to resign their players and maybe can make 1 or 2 limited signings.

The other list of teams who have cap space plan to burn that up in free agency .

What's a known fact is when a team has cap issues whatever deal is made the acquiring team is by no means giving up anything of serious value and the team with the cap issue will be in a position of no choice but to move those players out for lesser value.

You obviously don't know enough about how things truly work.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
San Jose was smart for doing it early and before the draft. Now with free agency starting up and a bunch of teams also having to resign their own RFA's, the pool for teams wanting the likes of Eakin and Miller is going to shrink, thus driving down the return for those guys.

Bingo. No team is willing to do any favors for these teams with cap issues, they would sooner check in and if the team needing cap relief plays hardball they simply move on .

With the cap not being what it was originally mentioned that's a huge problem , also next year is expansion so teams have to consider next year in any trade or free agent signing .

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Clear case of selling term for a lower AAV. Tale of two players if he’s the 2017 or 2018 version

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
advantage of being an income tax free state
If NHL would somehow even out the field in terms of taxes (ie. higher cap for higher tax teams), then there would be teams like Winnipeg complaining, "It's not fair that we are a fairly small town all the way up north! New York is a big city and Miami has great weather! Unfair, how do we fix that?"

Just f***ing deal with it. Especially since you are a fan of Rangers. It's teams like Columbus who are in trouble since they don't have any advantages to lure in free agents.

Reactions: McCullogh

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
What a crazy career. Two seasons ago he was 24 and there were questions of he was ever going to be more than a 4th liner. Now he’s 26 and will have a career earning of over 50M if he doesn’t get bought out. He deserves it too.

Even if you get bought out you still get your contract paid out

Seems like a really good deal for Vegas though, especially in light of that awful Hayes contract

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018

The salary cap this year is lesser than expected and very team last year right at the cap toronto,,Pittsburgh, Vegas , Tampa are all needing to shed cap , then you have teams who have limited cap space and need to resign their players and maybe can make 1 or 2 limited signings.

The other list of teams who have cap space plan to burn that up in free agency .

What's a known fact is when a team has cap issues whatever deal is made the acquiring team is by no means giving up anything of serious value and the team with the cap issue will be in a position of no choice but to move those players out for lesser value.

We will find out soon enough. They will get a decent return for these prospects.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
We will find out soon enough. They will get a decent return for these prospects.

Decent is in the eye of the beholder. Look at it this way Vegas has to shed lots of cap space just to balance out what they intend on spending to resign their key players especially karlsson, I'm guessing in the ball park range of 7 to 9 million would be fair.

Plus I'm sure Vegas with having cap issues already would probably lime to have some cap space to work with maybe later on as a precaution.

My guess low draft picks maybe a couple of avg prospects, but it won't be 1st or 2nd round picks or high end prospects.

Most of these players anyways that Vegas is moving out are middle to bottom players .

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Absolute steal if Karlsson continues his last few seasons.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Even if you get bought out you still get your contract paid out

Seems like a really good deal for Vegas though, especially in light of that awful Hayes contract

Your correct. Buyouts can work to a teams advantage depending upon how many years are remaining and the amount.

If a player has 1 or 2 years left it's doable, but if a player has 4 to 6 years left it really hurts the team because every other year the buyout salary fluctuates up and down that's where it gets interesting.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Nice deal, I assume some sort of NTC or NMC will be included.

If they don't put that in it has its advantage if karlsson turns out to not be the player they expected he can be moved , but if they don't add that and he has a great year Seattle with the expansion will probably take advantage of that and pick him.

So Vegas better be sure with him and how they plan to structure his contract.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
If NHL would somehow even out the field in terms of taxes (ie. higher cap for higher tax teams), then there would be teams like Winnipeg complaining, "It's not fair that we are a fairly small town all the way up north! New York is a big city and Miami has great weather! Unfair, how do we fix that?"

Just ****ing deal with it. Especially since you are a fan of Rangers. It's teams like Columbus who are in trouble since they don't have any advantages to lure in free agents.

The salaries and the cap have been a problem for many years. Especially with the Canadian teams due to their currency value which does play a role in the salary cap.

The NHL problem is not doing it's due diligence when bringing in New owners and markets.

Look at Arizona that's been a dumpster fire ever since they moved back in the 90s from Winnipeg.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The salaries and the cap have been a problem for many years. Especially with the Canadian teams due to their currency value which does play a role in the salary cap.

The NHL problem is not doing it's due diligence when bringing in New owners and markets.

Look at Arizona that's been a dumpster fire ever since they moved back in the 90s from Winnipeg.
But there is never going to be a way to make it fair for everyone. That's just the way it is. You have to use the advantage you have, or if you don't have any, find one.

It's also one of the reasons why we love sports. If it was just team A vs team B, no one would like that. I mean you in the NHL probably have the biggest parity in any sport. Be happy with it and enjoy.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Decent is in the eye of the beholder. Look at it this way Vegas has to shed lots of cap space just to balance out what they intend on spending to resign their key players especially karlsson, I'm guessing in the ball park range of 7 to 9 million would be fair.

Plus I'm sure Vegas with having cap issues already would probably lime to have some cap space to work with maybe later on as a precaution.

My guess low draft picks maybe a couple of avg prospects, but it won't be 1st or 2nd round picks or high end prospects.ce

Most of these players anyways that Vegas is moving out are middle to bottom players .

I think we are in agreement. If they can get a 3rd for someone like Haula I think they will be satisfied as they did put themselves into this situation. My point is not that they are going to get 1st round picks but they are going to get an offer similar to what say Colin Miller's true value is. How many RHD are out there right now who are better than him? This is an extremely shallow UFA market for D-men.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

Did you see what Tampa got in return for JT Miller? Only played 9 minutes in their last playoff game against CBJ and he makes 5m+. He was a pure cap dump for Tampa, even got healthy scratched this spring a couple times. They got a 1st, 3rd and a backup goalie/AHL goalie for him...

Vegas will get value for Miller just like Tampa got value for JT Miller. If the player is decent to good and not on a horrible contract, multiple teams will be interested in that player and will give up something for him. Even if the team trading him are doing it to shed cap, other teams look at the possibility to improve their roster before they try to hurt another team.

Reactions: djeck42

Seven0two

Apr 17, 2018
San Jose was smart for doing it early and before the draft. Now with free agency starting up and a bunch of teams also having to resign their own RFA's, the pool for teams wanting the likes of Eakin and Miller is going to shrink, thus driving down the return for those guys.

Possibly, but there are a finite amount of free agents and it always happens where if you miss out of the guy you were going for it forces you to change gears. I’m not sure the value of the players that Vegas is shopping but I don’t think their value is drastically altered by the fact that they have to move cap space because there will still be interested teams.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
Well in theory that’s the expectation but it turned out one of their tools was making the playoffs every year so why not just use cap space on roster players instead :dunno:

I absolutely agree, and this is a hell of a deal to boot, I just think Vegas management could have managed this situation better, but going to the finals in year one is unprecedented.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I am the only one to think that 8 years 6.5M per is awful? I see people here calling that a steal. I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole

Hayes just got 7 years 50m. I think most would agree that Karlsson is a good deal better than Hayes. 8×6.5 would be a steal considering the market even if he remains a 25 goal, 60 point player.

Edit: I see that it's under 6m. Of course f***ing Vegas gets a big discount.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Hayes just got 7 years 50m. I think most would agree that Karlsson is a good deal better than Hayes. 8×6.5 would be a steal considering the market even if he remains a 25 goal, 60 point player.

Edit: I see that it's under 6m. Of course ****ing Vegas gets a big discount.
the $ figure is ok with me. It's the 8 years that turns me off. It's not like the doesn't have centers in the pipeline. My guess? Karlsson will be a 3rd C by year 4 of that deal. 6.5M for a 3rd liner is rich

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Possibly, but there are a finite amount of free agents and it always happens where if you miss out of the guy you were going for it forces you to change gears. I’m not sure the value of the players that Vegas is shopping but I don’t think their value is drastically altered by the fact that they have to move cap space because there will still be interested teams.

Cap projections are lower than people anticipated. That will cause a lot of GM's to be cautious as they would have to worry about 2020 RFA's and don't want to overcommit this summer.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
the $ figure is ok with me. It's the 8 years that turns me off. It's not like the doesn't have centers in the pipeline. My guess? Karlsson will be a 3rd C by year 4 of that deal. 6.5M for a 3rd liner is rich

I'd say if you have a player like Karlsson as your thirdline center I think you are in a pretty good position no less.
Who more than Glass are you expecting to bump him down btw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad