Will you Boo Tavares at his first game back.

Will you Boo John Tavares when he returns?

• Total voters

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I don't blame him for leaving and saw this coming from a mile away. All of the "I'd love to stay" was PR 101 during the season and he had NO reason to stay. It was obvious was his decision was going to be back then-however he should have been more upfront and honest about it. With that said it says A LOT about management and ownership for not moving him.

You made the backup goaltender the GM for his entire career, never give him good linemates 90% o the time, then change the GM and coach a few weeks before he hits free agency? When he sat in the room with LL and Trotz one thing is true: he didn't owe them any loyalty...they just got there.

Both parties are to blame, and ownership (yes even Malkin/Ledecky) are just as much to blame for him leaving as Tavares is.

I would boo him if I was there though I must admit. If he told them to trade him at the deadline or even if he told them after taking the meetings-I'd give him a standing ovation.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Some people are just not getting it. He was dishonest and manipulative to NYI management and the media and the fans. How many times did you hear him say “This is where I want to be” ? Or “I hope to be here my whole career” ? He asked management not to trade him at the deadline, hurting the team bad both short term and long term. Look at what the Rangers got for Rick Nash (a rental), and imagine what the Isles could’ve gotten for Tavares at the deadline.

That’s why it’s on Tavares, that’s why fans are angry. IF he would’ve just had been honest, he could’ve put the team in a good spot. He ****ed them over royally.

It all comes down to whether or not you believe JT that Dubas & Co. really came in and totally swept him off his feet. He said he did not know until after the interviewing period and he followed his gut.

Maybe he's being truthful, perhaps he was genuinely on the fence....

it Does make you second guess all the little remarks and gestures, If I recall correctly it was someone on HF Isles who pointed out that he "liked" or validated a social media post predicting him to TML earlier in the season. Can't pull that up but if so, only adds insult to injury.

Bossy and Resch both called it though, I actually thought that if JT really loved the Island, they could trade him to a contender to pursue his cup aspirations since the Isles were essentially on the outside looking it by that point and still stand a chance of extending him July 1. I personally feel he used his reputation to his advantage and that this was a little more calculated on his part, the shade to Barzal rubbed a lot of people the wrong way as well.

And then theres the "childhood dream" which suddenly becomes a factor after the interviewing period. Turns out many of the trolls and media pushing this agenda were 100% correct, it was NYI management and fanbase that tolerated his indecision for so long that it eventually cost us him. The change in management may have worked in our favor, but not necessarily, since with JT's yes men out of the picture, he has less ties to the team and it is easier to walk. Truth be told, JT was going to be a Leaf, he said it himself "childhood dream"

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I don't blame him for leaving and saw this coming from a mile away. All of the "I'd love to stay" was PR 101 during the season and he had NO reason to stay. It was obvious was his decision was going to be back then-however he should have been more upfront and honest about it. With that said it says A LOT about management and ownership for not moving him.

You made the backup goaltender the GM for his entire career, never give him good linemates 90% o the time, then change the GM and coach a few weeks before he hits free agency? When he sat in the room with LL and Trotz one thing is true: he didn't owe them any loyalty...they just got there.

Both parties are to blame, and ownership (yes even Malkin/Ledecky) are just as much to blame for him leaving as Tavares is.

I would boo him if I was there though I must admit. If he told them to trade him at the deadline or even if he told them after taking the meetings-I'd give him a standing ovation.

A lot of the same people who spent years as apologists for Garth Snow and/or Jack Capuano are now all upset by the captain's departure. I hope just a few realize the connection between what happened yesterday and what they supported the years prior.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
A loTt of the same people who spent years as apologists for Garth Snow and/or Jack Capuano are now all upset by the captain's departure. I hope just a few realize the connection between what happened yesterday and what they supported the years prior.

Absolutely. The one telling thing I took from Tavares's press conference is when asked if he spoke with Stamkos about the situation and said he had. The reporter mentioned their situations being practically the same to which Tavares said (I'm paraphrasing): "there were many similarities, but also some differences and those differences are probably why Stamkos is in Tampa and I'm here". What are those differences? Well Tampa was a competitor and run like a respectable NHL franchise whereas we weren't.

Reactions: stranger34

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Booing a player that treated us the way he did isn't a matter of class. No one's going after his family or throwing beer on him, he simply deserves to be booed. He needs to feel the pain of losing all the isles fans.
If he is cheered or not booed then he will think we are ok with his actions. Are you?

I don't like his actions, but he practically singlehandedly got us our only playoff series win,... so I would rather not boo or laud him... and we lauded Cappy LOL

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Plenty of us have been negative on them all. Some of us even claimed Tavares was not good enough to build around. We will survive this, it is by no means the low point for Islander fans. I remember going to games being able to shit talk Bertuzzi face to face because only a few thousand people showed up. This team has young players and a good number of assets.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

MartyC

Jul 15, 2013
Whomever said they will stand and cheer his tribute needs their head examined.

My 6 year old packed his 3 Tavares jerseys to donate. His $170 CCM RBZ RH Tavares white stick (Beautiful stick by the way) is no longer his stick of choice. This is not from me. This is a kid that legit had his heart ripped out. He didn't even know Tavares was a FA until yesterday and his first response was that he is a Maple Leaf fan now. (That has been rectified)

The fact that this guy acted this classless...not by leaving which he had ever right too...but also by basically handcuffing the team he was leaving for his ego and because he didnt have the balls to say his real thoughts is ridiculous
My 15 year old cried tears.....tears.
Asked me to burn his 2 jerseys, One he wore to school (and got greif for from Ranger fans) and one framed- autographed off his wall Saturday night.I put him off a few times but relented yesterdy when he got in front of me and said "Dad, Please...I want to be done with this guy" Heart Broken for him. Make my son Cry? The Maloik (evil eye) has been issued.

Reactions: Costigan77

BiggyPete2

Oct 16, 2008
Johnny Turn-Coat!

Clap! Clap!

Clap!Clap!Clap!

Johnny Turn-Coat!

Rinse and repeat for a whole 60 minutes of the game will have a nice ring to it!

Reactions: stranger34

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Here is more on John Tavares Isles fans. Thanks for allowing me to visit as a Main Board poster. But this is an extraordinary time. And I have Isles posters here I have become friends with, I want to connect and make some sense of this during this transition.

It seems Tavares checked out long ago on the Isles as his 2nd half season performance would indicate. Plus as Fischier writes there is a lot of I in Tavares words. Not much thought of the organization he has been part of for 9 seasons. Here is a few snippets. A good read for Isles fans to try to make some sense of JT's betrayal.

TAVARES TAKES STAND ON DEPARTURE
July 1, 2018

Stan Fischler

I pointed out that his actions — or non actions — hurt his former team but, in response, he preferred focusing on his feelings.
“I go with my gut,” he insisted; emphasizing how challenging his decision-making was during the off-season calling it “emotional” and “heavy.”
P.S. Just for the heck of it, I asked ex-Islanders goalie Glenn “Chico” Resch about his thoughts regarding the Tavares emigration to Toronto.

“It was no surprise to me,” Chico told The Maven. “I said the same thing last summer when he was going to play out his option.

“Plus John’s stretch drive ‘desire’ told me that his heart did not have an Islanders logo on it!”

Tavares Takes Stand on Departure

Jim Pritsiolas

Jun 30, 2018
A lot of the same people who spent years as apologists for Garth Snow and/or Jack Capuano are now all upset by the captain's departure. I hope just a few realize the connection between what happened yesterday and what they supported the years prior.
You have to remember that Garth was always good to his players. He may have been a crappy GM but he was always good to his guys. So if JT told his buddy Garth that he was itching to play for a contender and given him a list of 5 teams I'm sure Garth could have perhaps gotten back twice the haul the Rangers got for Nash. We are/were not looking to hold someone up....we should have simply gotten at lest a few draft picks, a warm body and perhaps and a bag of pucks.....and most of all honesty. I did all I could bla bla bla.... me me me me. The "kid" with the Calder Trophy?? The kid was your teammate bro. He called Kyle Okposo?? To ask him what?? What's it like in Siberia (Buffalo)?? Why call someone who was not re-signed? Why not call some of the legends??

Or better yet..... Why not sign the 8 year deal and tell the new GM (LL) if they don't get the right pieces in place then he will ask to be traded. This way Captain Courageous(not) get's his money and then can also demand a trade if he's not happy within the year? This way he's on the record pushing his weight around like a CAPTAIN should and putting the franchise on notice. The baby can have his cake and eat it too.

JT is a top ten player in this league...... he was treated like royalty and paid well. He didn't do anyone any favors. Syd Crosby?? He did his team a solid by signing and leaving money on the table. Pittsburgh was broke when he went there. Would you rather play in Pittsburgh PA or New York? Should we feel sorry for Henry Lundquist because the Rangers are rebuilding and the only cup he gets to hold has coffee in it? Nope..... Mr. Lundquist is a gentlemen. Oliver Ekmann re-signed with Arizona!! These guys aren't chopped liver. They are just as highly regards as the dude that ran away.

Reactions: nothingbutrum

Jim Pritsiolas

Jun 30, 2018
Absolutely. The one telling thing I took from Tavares's press conference is when asked if he spoke with Stamkos about the situation and said he had. The reporter mentioned their situations being practically the same to which Tavares said (I'm paraphrasing): "there were many similarities, but also some differences and those differences are probably why Stamkos is in Tampa and I'm here". What are those differences? Well Tampa was a competitor and run like a respectable NHL franchise whereas we weren't.
We WERE a poorly run organization at the TIME Tuncoat asked NOT to be traded. Since then we greatly upgraded the GM, the Coach and the owner indicated they would spend MAX CAP and we had probably the best draft of all teams this year. So some parts of the story don't line up for JT. Heck we were even chasing Erik Karlsson to play with JT. Doesn't matter....he gave us the back of the hand.

Barz1

Oct 22, 2011
When he returns to the island will you Boo him?

Honestly, I usually feel like booing is a waste of time, but in this case I would - I just have a feeling he has made a few enemies on the current isles roster

In other news --- Shouldn't be surprised, but can't believe the SNY crew didn't take JT to task at all, placing blame solely on Isles mangt - I expected a bit more from Licata, basically because he likes to scream anyway - Raismann knows jack about the NHL, and will give Maria Marino a pass because she's really attractive !

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
We WERE a poorly run organization at the TIME Tuncoat asked NOT to be traded. Since then we greatly upgraded the GM, the Coach and the owner indicated they would spend MAX CAP and we had probably the best draft of all teams this year. So some parts of the story don't line up for JT. Heck we were even chasing Erik Karlsson to play with JT. Doesn't matter....he gave us the back of the hand.

LL and Trotz aren't going to turn the team around in 1-2 years, we're kidding ourselves if we expect that. Our on ice product was trash, let's be honest about that. It might be better in a few years, it might not be. Out of the 6 teams that he met we clearly had the worst roster.

When LL and Trotz walked in the room I'm sure Tavares realized "wow this isn't the same Islanders...", the problem being if you finish that statement it's "wow this isn't the same Islanders....that I've grown to love". Tavares probably felt no loyalty toward LL and Trotz because honestly he'd have no reasons to. Again I'm not excusing what Tavares did but if we fail to treat the cause and just focus on the symptom it's going to happen again.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Here is more on John Tavares Isles fans. Thanks for allowing me to visit as a Main Board poster. But this is an extraordinary time. And I have Isles posters here I have become friends with, I want to connect and make some sense of this during this transition.

It seems Tavares checked out long ago on the Isles as his 2nd half season performance would indicate. Plus as Fischier writes there is a lot of I in Tavares words. Not much thought of the organization he has been part of for 9 seasons. Here is a few snippets. A good read for Isles fans to try to make some sense of JT's betrayal.

TAVARES TAKES STAND ON DEPARTURE
July 1, 2018

Stan Fischler

Tavares Takes Stand on Departure
I'm glad the Maven called him out. It was pretty obvious JT was going through the motions after the trade deadline. This is just as much Snows fault as well as he totally misread the situation. He let JT and his camp dictate to the franchise how to handle his free agency. Once JT refused to commit before the season I said they should trade him. i would not have blamed Tavares if he wanted to leave but he played it coy as he didn't want to be traded and now left the islanders in a really bad state. Tavares never cared about the islanders or there fans and that's fine. Lying about it though makes him the most hated ex islander since Kirk Muller.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Stan really did well in the interview and writing. Weird he would have the best take.

The Newfie Bullet

Jul 16, 2007
Hey, I am a Canadian - - but I die hard Isles fan !!! I have to agree with most all of the posts here regarding how John Tavares should be treated. Wish I could be there with you guys at the next TOR/NYI game because I would not give Tavares one single inch of gratitude, thanks, or appreciation - - he was a traitor and deserves to be treated so. I just hope hope hope that all you fans who attend the games in person plan some really cool welcome back festivities for John's return and show him no pity at all. I always had a dislike for TOR but now I will be cheering so hard for them never to win the cup. I hope JT never comes close. He is not a "Canadian" - - doesn't have the characteristics of a good Canadian boy - - he is a much lower league than Crosby, Stamkos, and Dougthy when is comes to decision making and being selfless - - wow he accepted less money!!! these guys are freaking millionaires - - they will never ever want for anything in their entire lives. I am Canadian yes, but I love the Isles. Hopefully Barzal is our Canadian gem and will learn something from all of this!!! Please please please plan something good for Tavares' return to NYI !!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad